Blacking Out Headlights, How to

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-16-2007, 08:11 PM   #21
Soul is on a distinguished road

Soul's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencer_hong View Post
Soul,

When you dis assemble the headlight, there will be the chrome housing. This is what your sanding. You won't be able to get all the chrome off, but just do your best and sand away. Just go to your local Kragen's or autoparts store, and buy 600 grit sand paper. A few sheets is more than enough, the sanding down isnt too important. And yeah, one bottle of spray paint will last both headlight housings. I used one bottle to do my headlights, and then my emblems.
Is the grit sand paper on amazon by any chance? If so can you link it? we don't have any kragen's store and I call most of the store in Idaho and they don't know what grit sand paper are o.O.
I'm planning on purchasing the spray paint and grit on amazon :].

You know any local store with Krylon paint? Or amazon is the only hope?

double checking is this the same product you use? (paint)
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...F7RX4&v=glance
http://www.amazon.com/Inch-Hook-Sand...865606-2667203 (sandpaper) or http://www.amazon.com/Magnate-V616G6...870&sr=1-(sand paper)
Old 08-16-2007, 08:24 PM   #22
Towing Guru
maverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

maverick491's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soul View Post
Is the grit sand paper on amazon by any chance? If so can you link it? we don't have any kragen's store and I call most of the store in Idaho and they don't know what grit sand paper are o.O.
I'm planning on purchasing the spray paint and grit on amazon :].

You know any local store with Krylon paint? Or amazon is the only hope?

double checking is this the same product you use? (paint)
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...F7RX4&v=glance
http://www.amazon.com/Inch-Hook-Sand...865606-2667203 (sandpaper)
The sandpaper you are linking is for a dual action air sander, and while that would work, you are paying extra for the round shape and adhesive backing and you don't need it.

Here is basic 600 grit sandpaper on amazon http://www.amazon.com/Wet-Dry-Ultra-...320779&sr=8-10

Though please take what I say here with a grain of salt as I lack the stones to stick my headlights in the oven and then pry them apart, but I suspect that you'd be fine using 000 steel wool in place of the 600 grit paper.

While you might need amazon or a good automotive store or automotive paint supply house to find 600 grit paper, both the krylon fusion and 000 steel wool would be available at your local Lowes or Home depot.
Old 08-16-2007, 08:37 PM   #23

Soul's Tacoma Gallery
I'll check out home depot & Lowes tomorrow! I gave up hope on both of them cause I search for it on their sites and couldn't find any results.
Krylon has black in gloss and non gloss. It's the same thing comparing it to lcd monitors right? Glossy = shiny
Old 08-16-2007, 08:42 PM   #24
Towing Guru
maverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soul View Post
I'll check out home depot & Lowes tomorrow! I gave up hope on both of them cause I search for it on their sites and couldn't find any results.
Krylon has black in gloss and non gloss. It's the same thing comparing it to lcd monitors right? Glossy = shiny
Yes, glossy is shiny, but you best wait for confirmation from someone who has done this as to which one you want to use. I would thing the gloss, but like I said I have not done this so I really don't know for sure.
Old 08-16-2007, 08:59 PM   #25

Soul's Tacoma Gallery
I'm reading multi forums and instruction on this.
"2. Baking the headlights.

Make sure you take off all the little plastic and rubber pieces on the back of the headlights along with three small hex screws and take out the main headlight. Pre-heat your oven to 200 degrees F. I know the oven part sounds sketchy, but as long as you do everything right it'll work out perfectly. Stick the headlights in one at a time for 8 minutes. When you pull them out let them cool for a very short time then start pulling the lens away from the plastic backing. The sticky stuff between the plastic and lens is really strong, and trust me it might get frustrating (it definitely did for me) but remember, take your time. A flat-head might be useful he to help pry the two apart."

Baking it for 8 minutes 1 at a time with set to 200*F with in the 8 minutes? or preheat till then put in and the oven off?

5. Putting the headlight back together.

Put the lens w/ the frame back into the plastic holding of the headlight. Stick it back in the over (preheated at 200 degrees F) for about 5 minutes. When you take it out, immediately push it back together and get the silcone to stick as much as possible. The headlight should have a sturdy hold and not seem like its going to fall apart. It should be completely glued back togther. I reccomend using electrical tape to seal all around the lens, just so no moisture gets in (i had this issue). Put the headlight and grille back in, and enjoy!

stick both of them in for 5 minutes? or one at a time?
Old 08-17-2007, 07:34 AM   #26

Soul's Tacoma Gallery
Spencer any tips on getting the lens away from the plastic? It's a hard as hell. I put it in the oven twice at 8 minutes.. and i just barely got a cm. I'm giving it a break... I'll try another attempt when i wake up.

http://www.customtacos.com/tech/index.php?article=222 I'ma give preheat 305 and then off a try
Old 08-17-2007, 10:10 PM   #27

Soul's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah 305 is the saver for me :]
Attached Thumbnails
Blacking Out Headlights, How to-dsc00041.jpg  
Old 08-23-2007, 08:38 PM   #29
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
i did 350...oh well...lol
Old 09-18-2007, 10:02 PM   #30
Sixgunsam is on a distinguished road

Sixgunsam's Tacoma Gallery
Hey y'all!! Just a suggestion. Instead of putting the headlight/lens assembly in an oven for the 2nd time, how about this. Clean out the groove the headlight lens goes into and wipe down with alcohol to clean out any oils. Then run a bead of silicone sealant around the seal. You could use aquarium sealant if you never figure on taking it apart again, or just use the regular silicone clear sealant you can find at Lowes/Home Depot/Wally World. No worries about water or moisture getting in after that.
Old 10-06-2007, 03:22 AM   #31
Silver_Jim is on a distinguished road
Silver_Jim's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Silver_Jim Send a message via Yahoo to Silver_Jim
Quote:
Originally Posted by brant_trd View Post
Hey guys a shortcut on taking your emblems off is just use dental floss, but get the good stuff otherwise if you get the cheap stuff like me it will keep breaking on you. I learned this technique from a professional and it sure does save you time. Then you don't have to worry about breaking the emblem or chipping your paint.

Spencer, your truck looks almost as hot as mine, lol. I highly recommend you to spray tinting your tail lights. Its extremely easy and cheap that looks awesome.
I think that would look damn good on your black Tacoma, it looks pretty good on my silver Tacoma. If you want any more info on the spray tint, just give me a message and I'll hook you up! Its at modernperformance.com.
Brant

I have a Silver Taco and I'd love to see a pic of your mod on this? It does look really good with a black taco, but I didnt think it would be "all that" with a silver. Then again, my wife always picks the color of paint for the house...
Old 10-06-2007, 03:35 AM   #32
Towing Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver_Jim View Post
Brant

I have a Silver Taco and I'd love to see a pic of your mod on this? It does look really good with a black taco, but I didnt think it would be "all that" with a silver. Then again, my wife always picks the color of paint for the house...
Brant's truck from the photo gallery
Old 10-06-2007, 03:43 AM   #33
Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick491 View Post
Maverick - Doh! Didnt even think to look there.. Thanks..
Old 10-06-2007, 03:44 AM   #34
Yea that looks pretty good... Gives the front end some definition and personality...
Old 10-14-2007, 06:18 PM   #35
Senior Senile Member
sunruner19 is a splendid one to beholdsunruner19 is a splendid one to beholdsunruner19 is a splendid one to beholdsunruner19 is a splendid one to beholdsunruner19 is a splendid one to beholdsunruner19 is a splendid one to beholdsunruner19 is a splendid one to behold

Navy: Seabees 27th Battalion
Name: Bill
Location: Great Sacandaga Lake region Northville NY, South Yarmouth, Cape Cod Ma.
sunruner19's Tacoma Gallery
Black Headlite Mod For Those Whose Wives, Mothers, Gf's Wont Let Them Near The Oven!

Found this on ebay today:

For $169.00 per pair, you can get the headlamps blacked out already. All you have to do is remove your stock headlamps and replace with these.
This is for people who do not wish to go thru 4 or 5 hours of work, or whose wives or mothers wont dare let them near the oven. I mean, you could get bitched out for 4 or 5 hours too, so this is really the easy way out.

On EBAY TWO ITEM NUMBERS

I have included 2 items just incase one auction has ended. These are BUY IT NOW auctions.
Old 11-06-2007, 05:14 PM   #36
avanasch is on a distinguished road
avanasch's Tacoma Gallery
How Much Chrome?

Great work on the headlights! They look awesome.

Question. If I can't get all of the chrome out of the corners and crevices will the paint still and here and look good? I will spend a couple more hours sanding if that is what I have to do to make it look good, but if the paint adheres they why waste my time.

thanks for any helps
Old 11-06-2007, 09:21 PM   #37
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
i didnt sand any...i just sprayed the krylon fusion on it...since its supposed to bond to plastic and all. i've been running mine for a few months and havent had any probs at all.
Old 11-06-2007, 09:41 PM   #38
Carolina Alliance: Midwest Firearms Division
TuRDTACO is on a distinguished road

TuRDTACO's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to TuRDTACO
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhodge83 View Post
i didnt sand any...i just sprayed the krylon fusion on it...since its supposed to bond to plastic and all. i've been running mine for a few months and havent had any probs at all.
i sanded mine quickly, trying to get as much off as i could but i only spent 5 minutes on each one. i used the same krylon fusion paint and it came out great
Old 11-06-2007, 10:15 PM   #39
spencer_hong is on a distinguished road
spencer_hong's Tacoma Gallery
yeah sanding isnt THAT important, its a good idea though to give the paint a little more grip on the surface. and always go with the krylon
Old 11-06-2007, 10:15 PM   #40
spencer_hong is on a distinguished road
spencer_hong's Tacoma Gallery
if anyone personally needs help with the headlights or anything else, im always available on aim at spencerrr13

Products Discussed in this Thread