Notices

Blacking Out Headlights, How to

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-23-2012, 07:58 PM   #461
wannaflyguy is on a distinguished road

Coast Guard: EM2
Name: Stephen
wannaflyguy's Tacoma Gallery
If you can read this thread and follow instructions, the hardest part of this will be working up the courage to do it. Glad I finally went for it. Thanks for the write-up!!!
Old 12-23-2012, 09:01 PM   #462
Murdered X
05 X-Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05 X-Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05 X-Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05 X-Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05 X-Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05 X-Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05 X-Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05 X-Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05 X-Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05 X-Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05 X-Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: E-4,UH-1 Door Gunner
Name: Brett
05 X-Runner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannaflyguy View Post
If you can read this thread and follow instructions, the hardest part of this will be working up the courage to do it. Glad I finally went for it. Thanks for the write-up!!!
Wasnt as hard as you thought it would be wasnt ?
Old 12-24-2012, 07:50 AM   #463
wannaflyguy is on a distinguished road

Coast Guard: EM2
Name: Stephen
wannaflyguy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 05 X-Runner View Post
Wasnt as hard as you thought it would be wasnt ?
No, not at all! Plus after all the reading I did on here, it only took about 3.5 hrs.
Old 12-30-2012, 10:26 AM   #464
rookie
ryan c is on a distinguished road

Name: ryan
ryan c's Tacoma Gallery

Dores this look ready for oven? I removed 3 bulbs 3 screws and 3 rubber pieces. just want to make sure. Thanks!
Old 12-30-2012, 10:40 AM   #465
Murdered X
05 X-Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05 X-Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05 X-Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05 X-Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05 X-Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05 X-Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05 X-Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05 X-Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05 X-Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05 X-Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05 X-Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan c View Post

Dores this look ready for oven? I removed 3 bulbs 3 screws and 3 rubber pieces. just want to make sure. Thanks!
From what i see... Yes
Old 12-30-2012, 10:47 AM   #466
rookie

ryan c's Tacoma Gallery
its in now so hopefully. Ive read up on this a ton and I still wasn't sure once I started doing it.
Old 12-30-2012, 10:47 AM   #467
Slvr_DblTaco is on a distinguished road

Slvr_DblTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Black headlamps

Yep, it looks like you are ready to go
Old 12-30-2012, 01:28 PM   #468
Murdered X

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan c View Post
its in now so hopefully. Ive read up on this a ton and I still wasn't sure once I started doing it.
Any up dates amd how's it going ?
Old 12-30-2012, 03:55 PM   #469
Kavik
Kavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Rylan
Kavik's Tacoma Gallery
People need to relax about putting them in the oven, you have a higher chance of ruining them with a heat gun then the oven.
Old 12-30-2012, 04:13 PM   #470
rookie

ryan c's Tacoma Gallery
it all went well! I just did the chlm. Im going to let the sealant cure over night +since its snowing outside lol. Im in no rush. If you do your homework(read all the bhlm and chlm threads you can) its a piece of cake. I took info from all of them and sorta combined them. the 4th bolt is a piece of cake to remove( because I read all the info of other people struggling). when I resealed the HL, I put it together and put it in for 5 min. took it out and tightened down the screws and squeezed it together the best I could. then I put it back in for 5 more min to remold since it was tightened down. then I removed it, clamped it and gave the screws a tiny turn more. after it cooled, I applied Loctite polyseamseal rainguard to the seam for "piece of mind". well see what happens down the road.
Old 12-30-2012, 05:39 PM   #471
Licensed Lunatic
iamsuperbleeder is one of the sharper tools in the shediamsuperbleeder is one of the sharper tools in the shediamsuperbleeder is one of the sharper tools in the shediamsuperbleeder is one of the sharper tools in the shediamsuperbleeder is one of the sharper tools in the shediamsuperbleeder is one of the sharper tools in the shediamsuperbleeder is one of the sharper tools in the shediamsuperbleeder is one of the sharper tools in the shediamsuperbleeder is one of the sharper tools in the shediamsuperbleeder is one of the sharper tools in the shediamsuperbleeder is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Travis
iamsuperbleeder's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavik View Post
People need to relax about putting them in the oven, you have a higher chance of ruining them with a heat gun then the oven.
lol, I was afraid at first, but I've split 3 sets open already using the same method without a single hiccup; preheat to 300, shut off and put the headlight in for 9, remove the light and open 'er up!
Old 02-24-2013, 08:59 PM   #473
Kavik
Kavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Kavik's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamsuperbleeder View Post
lol, I was afraid at first, but I've split 3 sets open already using the same method without a single hiccup; preheat to 300, shut off and put the headlight in for 9, remove the light and open 'er up!
I have done about 5 sets, 1st gen halo set, 2nd gen halo set, and three sets of stock headlights. I only had problems with the 2nd gen halos because it actually contains silica gel packets to keep the horrible moisture build up to a minimal and they were singed a bit from the heated metal inside.
Old 04-20-2013, 04:50 PM   #474
Ruckus is on a distinguished road

Air Force: CES
Ruckus's Tacoma Gallery
Finished today! Great post thanks for all of the war stories.
Old 05-01-2013, 04:07 PM   #475
SkyGuy19 is on a distinguished road
Name: Sky
SkyGuy19's Tacoma Gallery
Blacking out the headlights, how does that affect the brightness of the bulbs are they duller dimmer farther out or the same? Thanks looks good!!!
Old 05-14-2013, 12:48 PM   #476
MagneticTaco is on a distinguished road

Navy: AT2
Name: Kiel
MagneticTaco's Tacoma Gallery
sub
Old 05-14-2013, 02:10 PM   #477
Kavik
Kavik's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyGuy19 View Post
Blacking out the headlights, how does that affect the brightness of the bulbs are they duller dimmer farther out or the same? Thanks looks good!!!
If you don't paint the reflector bowl, it will be the exact same as stick. But you wouldn't paint it unless you were running projectors anyways.
Old 06-03-2013, 12:36 PM   #478
krause is on a distinguished road

Navy: Petty Officer 3rd class
Name: Matt
krause's Tacoma Gallery
I'd love to do this, except color match it to the Barcelona Red...
Old 06-08-2013, 07:07 PM   #480
CDNplt is on a distinguished road

CDNplt's Tacoma Gallery
I'm gonna attempt this next week.

I'm sure it has been mentioned, but can I use plasti-dip to do this? or go with a permanent paint? Thanks

Products Discussed in this Thread