Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

Blacking Out Headlights, How to

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-08-2013, 07:11 PM   #481
Kavik
Kavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Rylan
Kavik's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDNplt View Post
I'm gonna attempt this next week.

I'm sure it has been mentioned, but can I use plasti-dip to do this? or go with a permanent paint? Thanks
I would not recommend it but you could try it and see what happens, the safest route is Krylon Fusion (bonds to plastic without priming or sanding), you can find it at Walmart,
Old 06-08-2013, 07:31 PM   #482
CDNplt is on a distinguished road

CDNplt's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavik View Post
I would not recommend it but you could try it and see what happens, the safest route is Krylon Fusion (bonds to plastic without priming or sanding), you can find it at Walmart,
Krylon it is. Don't feel like experimenting

thanks
Old 06-08-2013, 07:33 PM   #483
Kavik
Kavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Kavik's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Krylon it is. Don't feel like experimenting

thanks
no problem, it works great and is very easy to use, just take your time and let it dry properly!
Old 06-08-2013, 07:41 PM   #484

CDNplt's Tacoma Gallery
How many coats would you recommend? 4+?

Also, you recommend putting windshield sealant on seams? If yes, do I put it while warm or wait for it to cool?
Old 06-08-2013, 07:45 PM   #485
Kavik
Kavik's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
How many coats would you recommend? 4+?

Also, you recommend putting windshield sealant on seams? If yes, do I put it while warm or wait for it to cool?
Do multiple light coats until you feel that it is covered evenly. As for the sealant, I would do it while it is warm but i would recommend sealing with this http://www.theretrofitsource.com/pro...roducts_id=792 for a more proper seal but either way works.
Old 06-08-2013, 07:50 PM   #486

CDNplt's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the tips! Will be doing this next week. I'll post some pics when done.
Old 06-08-2013, 07:57 PM   #487
Kavik
Kavik's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Thanks for the tips! Will be doing this next week. I'll post some pics when done.
If you have any questions, feel free to pm me.
Old 06-10-2013, 06:03 PM   #488
hatchet is on a distinguished road

Name: Jeremy
hatchet's Tacoma Gallery
has anyone tried using a razor to separate the lens from the housing
Old 06-10-2013, 06:42 PM   #489
Kavik
Kavik's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by hatchet View Post
has anyone tried using a razor to separate the lens from the housing
I am sure you could with a lot of time and effort but baking is the fastest and easiest way.
Old 06-14-2013, 11:54 AM   #490

CDNplt's Tacoma Gallery
Done. Easy to do with all the info found here.

Funny thing, both my DRL aren't working anymore. Any thoughts to what might have caused that. Yes bulbs look fine. No broken filament
Old 06-14-2013, 12:37 PM   #491

CDNplt's Tacoma Gallery
My taco must be possessed. The DRL are working again.
Blacking Out Headlights, How to-imageuploadedbytapatalk1371238639.043778.jpg
Old 06-14-2013, 12:43 PM   #492
deadhed61 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadhed61 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadhed61 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadhed61 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadhed61 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadhed61 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadhed61 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadhed61 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadhed61 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadhed61 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadhed61 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
deadhed61's Tacoma Gallery
Might sounds dumb, but check the connections behind the headlights (if you haven't already) about a week after I did mine, my headlight connector randomly just popped off. Or maybe you didn't put the bulb in all the way and it just has an intermittent connection.
Old 07-28-2013, 12:18 AM   #493
Junglejuice is a splendid one to beholdJunglejuice is a splendid one to beholdJunglejuice is a splendid one to beholdJunglejuice is a splendid one to beholdJunglejuice is a splendid one to beholdJunglejuice is a splendid one to beholdJunglejuice is a splendid one to behold
Name: Justin
Junglejuice's Tacoma Gallery
Hey guys I'm new to this but I just bought my first tacoma. I want to do this to my lights Maybe doing some retro fits too. Im just nervous I might mess it up. Anyone in eastern Idaho willing to help?
Old 07-28-2013, 07:42 AM   #494
Gone But Not Forgotten
ImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Susan
ImpulseRed008's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junglejuice View Post
Hey guys I'm new to this but I just bought my first tacoma. I want to do this to my lights Maybe doing some retro fits too. Im just nervous I might mess it up. Anyone in eastern Idaho willing to help?
You can do it!!! Follow the directions and you'll be fine.
Old 07-28-2013, 11:52 AM   #495
Goose8651 has much to be proud ofGoose8651 has much to be proud ofGoose8651 has much to be proud ofGoose8651 has much to be proud ofGoose8651 has much to be proud ofGoose8651 has much to be proud ofGoose8651 has much to be proud ofGoose8651 has much to be proud ofGoose8651 has much to be proud ofGoose8651 has much to be proud of
Goose8651's Tacoma Gallery
Just bought the OCI BUTYL RUBBER GLUE. Hopefully will be in by the end of the week and I can start next weekend.

FYI, if you buy the glue from headlightsquick.com, you can get free shipping. They are a distributor for TRS. TRS wants almost $9.00 to ship it.
Old 08-04-2013, 07:13 PM   #496
          
skygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shed

skygear's Tacoma Gallery
Can the lights be baked while the paint is "curing"? Like in automotive paint. I want to cure these quicker than 24hrs.
Old 08-04-2013, 07:26 PM   #497
Remember Your ABC's. Always. Be. Cool.
Bsheriff11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBsheriff11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBsheriff11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBsheriff11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBsheriff11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBsheriff11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBsheriff11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBsheriff11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBsheriff11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBsheriff11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBsheriff11 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS:
Name: Brandon
Bsheriff11's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by skygear View Post
Can the lights be baked while the paint is "curing"? Like in automotive paint. I want to cure these quicker than 24hrs.
Yes, gives a more even finish, but they still need a certain time to cure (24-48 hours) minimum.
Old 08-04-2013, 07:41 PM   #498
          
skygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shed

skygear's Tacoma Gallery
Nice. That was what I was looking for. Fam is going to flip on me because of the smell. I can see that already.
Old 08-04-2013, 08:04 PM   #499
Goose8651 has much to be proud ofGoose8651 has much to be proud ofGoose8651 has much to be proud ofGoose8651 has much to be proud ofGoose8651 has much to be proud ofGoose8651 has much to be proud ofGoose8651 has much to be proud ofGoose8651 has much to be proud ofGoose8651 has much to be proud ofGoose8651 has much to be proud of
Goose8651's Tacoma Gallery
It's not that bad of a smell. I finished painting everything today and letting the bezel cure. I had a candle going near the oven and never heard a complaint from anyone, other than the mess I made on the kitchen table, ha ha.
Old 08-04-2013, 08:12 PM   #500
          

skygear's Tacoma Gallery
Can I borrow your fam for a day then? Mine has way too much drama. Anything to get a rise out of the next guy. End of the world situ at every turn.

Products Discussed in this Thread