Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

Blacking Out Headlights, How to

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-04-2013, 08:43 PM   #501
Kavik
Kavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Rylan
Kavik's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by skygear View Post
Can the lights be baked while the paint is "curing"? Like in automotive paint. I want to cure these quicker than 24hrs.
Honestly, I did not let mine sit for 24hrs but I did bake to cure the paint, actually I baked in between coats.
Old 08-04-2013, 09:44 PM   #502
          
skygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shed

skygear's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavik View Post
Honestly, I did not let mine sit for 24hrs but I did bake to cure the paint, actually I baked in between coats.
I just did the same and let them rest/ cool for 20min. Installed now.

To come clean, I was blacking out the tail lights. Boy this stuff is horrible. Came out with a purple tint. I asked the people at the autoparts store, they reassured me it would come out BLACK with Grey hues.

So my turn Amber signals in the rear look 'red' with the purple tint added on.

I baked them to remove the lense. I wanted to paint all the red and chrome black. Then tint the inside lense so it wouldn't get scratched when I wash or go off roading. nope.

I was unable to remove the rear lenses. Did 200 for 10 min, then 20, then 30... Not a budge. Did manage to chip the clear lense in 1 place in the corner. Tried to use a screw driver, putty scraper, and even a small cum-a-long and some fishing hooks. HAHAHA just gave up and decided on a few extra coats of tint.

Really am disappointed with the purple hue though. Not sure if I could remove this stuff now without a mess of sanding. But is there another better tint that has a grey hue to it and not the purple?
Old 08-04-2013, 09:59 PM   #503
          
skygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shed

skygear's Tacoma Gallery
I used the VHT Translucent black. Going to return the rest of the bottle in the am though. Ordering the new Rustoleum Lens Tint Spray in Translucent Black. Hopefully it is the grey hues. The more I look at the purple the more it bothers me.
Old 08-04-2013, 10:00 PM   #504
Kavik
Kavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Kavik's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by skygear View Post
I just did the same and let them rest/ cool for 20min. Installed now.

To come clean, I was blacking out the tail lights. Boy this stuff is horrible. Came out with a purple tint. I asked the people at the autoparts store, they reassured me it would come out BLACK with Grey hues.

So my turn Amber signals in the rear look 'red' with the purple tint added on.

I baked them to remove the lense. I wanted to paint all the red and chrome black. Then tint the inside lense so it wouldn't get scratched when I wash or go off roading. nope.

I was unable to remove the rear lenses. Did 200 for 10 min, then 20, then 30... Not a budge. Did manage to chip the clear lense in 1 place in the corner. Tried to use a screw driver, putty scraper, and even a small cum-a-long and some fishing hooks. HAHAHA just gave up and decided on a few extra coats of tint.

Really am disappointed with the purple hue though. Not sure if I could remove this stuff now without a mess of sanding. But is there another better tint that has a grey hue to it and not the purple?
The only way yo open tail lights is to cut them open, that is why nobody opens them up very often on here. I would just do black housing after market taillights, no legal issues and you still get a nice black taillight.
Old 08-04-2013, 10:26 PM   #505
WhiteMud is on a distinguished road
WhiteMud's Tacoma Gallery
My turned out nicely, it's been a few weeks now, but my left headlight lense has that oil in water colour on it.

Anyone run into this before?
Old 08-05-2013, 10:21 AM   #507
WhiteMud is on a distinguished road
WhiteMud's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavik View Post
This kind of color?

Yes, it looks its running down my headlight too.
Old 08-08-2013, 06:37 PM   #508
Licensed Lunatic
iamsuperbleeder is one of the sharper tools in the shediamsuperbleeder is one of the sharper tools in the shediamsuperbleeder is one of the sharper tools in the shediamsuperbleeder is one of the sharper tools in the shediamsuperbleeder is one of the sharper tools in the shediamsuperbleeder is one of the sharper tools in the shediamsuperbleeder is one of the sharper tools in the shediamsuperbleeder is one of the sharper tools in the shediamsuperbleeder is one of the sharper tools in the shediamsuperbleeder is one of the sharper tools in the shediamsuperbleeder is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Travis
iamsuperbleeder's Tacoma Gallery
what did you use to seal it back up?

my first go-around left me with a similar outcome with both lights because I used some cheap house window sealant stuff... big mistake...

not to mention a BAD moister problem with my right headlight

about a week after that photo though I completely cured the problem by getting the RIGHT sealant, and while I had the lights opened up AGAIN, went ahead and did a full blackout and threw some HID projectors in them too problem solved; not a hint of moister or discoloring since

I just gotta do something about those dang fog lights though...

If anybody is contemplating HID projectors, my suggestion is DO IT! ESPECIALLY if you live out in the country and have to drive through the woods on 2 lane highways often at night... the light out put is RIDICULOUS compared to the factory setup, in a good way. I'm impressed with them every time I drive at night. I went with the Morimoto Mini H1's; super easy install and well worth the money. Running 6000k bulbs; great light output, and just enough hint of blue to look fancy
Old 08-09-2013, 12:05 PM   #509
Timbo89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimbo89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimbo89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimbo89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimbo89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimbo89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimbo89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimbo89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimbo89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimbo89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimbo89 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Timothy
Timbo89's Tacoma Gallery
Looking to black out my 13 and am windering if everyone is using a flat/gloss or satin black. I'm going to black out my emblems as well wondering what's the most common black used
Old 08-09-2013, 12:11 PM   #510
Goose8651 has much to be proud ofGoose8651 has much to be proud ofGoose8651 has much to be proud ofGoose8651 has much to be proud ofGoose8651 has much to be proud ofGoose8651 has much to be proud ofGoose8651 has much to be proud ofGoose8651 has much to be proud ofGoose8651 has much to be proud ofGoose8651 has much to be proud of
Goose8651's Tacoma Gallery
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbo89 View Post
Looking to black out my 13 and am windering if everyone is using a flat/gloss or satin black. I'm going to black out my emblems as well wondering what's the most common black used
Krylon Fusion Satin

Just did mine this past week, installing the headlights tonight. I used the same stuff for my badges, but sprayed a clear on them.
Old 08-09-2013, 12:33 PM   #511
Timbo89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimbo89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimbo89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimbo89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimbo89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimbo89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimbo89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimbo89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimbo89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimbo89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimbo89 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Timothy
Timbo89's Tacoma Gallery
Thank you kind sir. Looks like ill need to get some masking tape. Was going to try a touch up paint pen use the brush end but don't like how its not smooth after drying
Old 08-12-2013, 10:11 AM   #512
Nfurtado77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNfurtado77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNfurtado77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNfurtado77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNfurtado77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNfurtado77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNfurtado77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNfurtado77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNfurtado77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNfurtado77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNfurtado77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Nfurtado77's Tacoma Gallery
wow i always thought you painted the glass. its alot easier than i thought
Old 08-21-2013, 03:07 PM   #513
Texas Aggie
CO Taco is a splendid one to beholdCO Taco is a splendid one to beholdCO Taco is a splendid one to beholdCO Taco is a splendid one to beholdCO Taco is a splendid one to beholdCO Taco is a splendid one to beholdCO Taco is a splendid one to behold
Name: Tyler
CO Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevomac59 View Post
What you do, is preheat the oven to 200 and turn it off once you think it reaches that temp... when I did mine, no cracks were present! Also, when you do it... make sure not to get dirty fingerprints on the inside of the headlight lens...Use windex to clean it
this is probably too little, WAY too late, but don't use windex on the plastic bacause the amonia will take off layers of the plastic, giving you an uneven base to paint and probably affect the paints ability to adhere.
Old 10-25-2013, 05:32 PM   #514
J0HN_R1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ0HN_R1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ0HN_R1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ0HN_R1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ0HN_R1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ0HN_R1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ0HN_R1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ0HN_R1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ0HN_R1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ0HN_R1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ0HN_R1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

J0HN_R1's Tacoma Gallery
I'm very nervous, but gonna try this when I get my Tacoma (Nov 6)...

Old 10-25-2013, 10:41 PM   #515
Kavik
Kavik's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by J0HN_R1 View Post
I'm very nervous, but gonna try this when I get my Tacoma (Nov 6)...

If you don't feel up to it, just buy the depo headlights with black bezels.
Old 10-27-2013, 03:52 PM   #516
millewalkee is on a distinguished road

millewalkee's Tacoma Gallery
My oven's lowest temp. is 350. Anyone think it'll be a problem to preheat, turn off, wait a few minutes, and then bake? Just curious, I'll probably try this in a few weeks.
Old 10-27-2013, 04:02 PM   #517
Gone But Not Forgotten
ImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Susan
ImpulseRed008's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by millewalkee View Post
My oven's lowest temp. is 350. Anyone think it'll be a problem to preheat, turn off, wait a few minutes, and then bake? Just curious, I'll probably try this in a few weeks.
I'd get one of the oven thermometers from Wal Mart or somewhere so I could be sure the oven had cooled down enough
Old 10-27-2013, 04:11 PM   #518
millewalkee is on a distinguished road

millewalkee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImpulseRed008 View Post
I'd get one of the oven thermometers from Wal Mart or somewhere so I could be sure the oven had cooled down enough
Good idea. Thanks
Old 11-22-2013, 06:31 PM   #519
superbolo is on a distinguished road
Name: bolo
superbolo's Tacoma Gallery
Can I put the whole light black or do I need to leave that chrome spot
Old 11-22-2013, 06:37 PM   #520
jah8551 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjah8551 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjah8551 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjah8551 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjah8551 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjah8551 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjah8551 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjah8551 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjah8551 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjah8551 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjah8551 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jeff
jah8551's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by superbolo View Post
Can I put the whole light black or do I need to leave that chrome spot
Unless your going to do projectors, you need to leave the chrome in the middle for light reflection

Products Discussed in this Thread