Well I hate to ruin all these great success stories with a bad one but that is how by BHLM experience went. I started on Saturday and after struggling to get that 4th screw out the oven part went easy and off to paint. Based on reading that a lot of other people just painted the plastic with no prep I decided to go the same way and this is what happened.
1. The paint was not sticking to several surfaces which led to..
2. The paint pooling in the corners and
3. The paint running in other spots.
I finally got so sick of it I decided I would sand one down and start over. This was the really really stupid part. Trying to sand off paint that has only been dried for an hour with pooling that is still wet is really dumb. I only got about 10% when I realizied my stupidity. I cleaned it up the best I could and repainted it but now the uneven sanded parts show though. Then to top it off I chipped part of the paint off today poping the pieces back together. Below is a picture of the finished product but up close it looks like crap. Maybe after I get my taxes back I'll go aftermarket on Ebay
or hopefully I'll just forget they look like crap up close. BTW, I should point out I'm not a skilled or experienced painter so that probably led to most of this mayhem. Thanks, TuRDTaco for pushing me into this, I told you it was beyond my skills. The grill is new this weekend, seemed like a good time to do both.