Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-31-2014, 03:49 AM   #621
Taco enthusiast
Yota Man has a spectacular aura aboutYota Man has a spectacular aura about

Name: Cole
Yota Man's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey Walrod View Post
That's BLHM? I want to paint the housing on headlights and taillights next, perhaps tint them a wee bit too
BHLM: "Black Headlight Mod".
Old 05-31-2014, 06:39 AM   #622
White and Nerdy
theTupper is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheTupper is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheTupper is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheTupper is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheTupper is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheTupper is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheTupper is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheTupper is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheTupper is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheTupper is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheTupper is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jacob
theTupper's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to theTupper Send a message via Skype™ to theTupper
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yota Man View Post
So im sitting here at work lookin at the taco, and I get this idea to do the BHLM on the fog lights... whats everyone's input on that. I notice small details like that and think it would look good. Might have to do it up. Pretty simple job too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by o0oSHADOWo0o View Post
I don't think there is very much "bezel" in the fog lights to paint. I think they are largely reflector bowl. If you were to paint the reflector, you would lose a considerable amount of light output.
Easier and just as effective (imho) is to do the sleeves around your foglights. Several write-ups on TW if you search...and you can see the results in my sig image below. Mine achieved with Plasti-Derp.
Old 05-31-2014, 06:52 AM   #623
braik has much to be proud ofbraik has much to be proud ofbraik has much to be proud ofbraik has much to be proud ofbraik has much to be proud ofbraik has much to be proud ofbraik has much to be proud ofbraik has much to be proud ofbraik has much to be proud ofbraik has much to be proud of
braik's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I just used a wee bit of contact cement and stuck em back on
I would, but I tore one of them to pieces trying to get it off.
Old 07-20-2014, 07:39 PM   #624
Leveled out taco
Frankie Santoro is on a distinguished road

Name: Frankie
Frankie Santoro's Tacoma Gallery
I know people that during the day time u can't see there brake lights because they put 4 coats of paint on. If u buy the gud stuff u can get away with spraying one cost.
Old 07-26-2014, 07:44 PM   #625
Hans Moleman is one of the sharper tools in the shedHans Moleman is one of the sharper tools in the shedHans Moleman is one of the sharper tools in the shedHans Moleman is one of the sharper tools in the shedHans Moleman is one of the sharper tools in the shedHans Moleman is one of the sharper tools in the shedHans Moleman is one of the sharper tools in the shedHans Moleman is one of the sharper tools in the shedHans Moleman is one of the sharper tools in the shedHans Moleman is one of the sharper tools in the shedHans Moleman is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Hans Moleman's Tacoma Gallery
I tried to take my lights apart and I screwed up bad. 200*for 10 minutes didn't work and 300* for 10 minutes also didn't work. I tried to pry he edges and the heated plastic was too soft. All i did was mess up the plastic in he edges. My fingers also hurt from trying to pull the lens apart. I guess my HID retrofit is a failure.

I'm read to drop $2k for ready to use FXR retrofit out of frustration
Old 07-27-2014, 03:38 AM   #626
Taco enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Moleman View Post
I tried to take my lights apart and I screwed up bad. 200*for 10 minutes didn't work and 300* for 10 minutes also didn't work. I tried to pry he edges and the heated plastic was too soft. All i did was mess up the plastic in he edges. My fingers also hurt from trying to pull the lens apart. I guess my HID retrofit is a failure.

I'm read to drop $2k for ready to use FXR retrofit out of frustration
That sucks man, you get them to come apart any at all? I had a buddy prying on mine as well as me, woulda been really tough on my own.
Old 08-07-2014, 10:10 PM   #627
stringah is on a distinguished road
stringah's Tacoma Gallery
I picked these up off CL to do the BHLM.. They are off of a 2006 tacoma and are in pretty good shape.. The lens needs to get buffed up a little but other than that they are good. I was wondering if I should tint the dtrl lens because I am not sure how the yellow will look after doing the mod. I know I want to leave out the side markers. Was wondering what people did to tint their dtrl lenses and if they will be affected by the heat of the dtrl bulbs?
Old 08-11-2014, 03:41 PM   #628
Coastie80 is a glorious beacon of lightCoastie80 is a glorious beacon of lightCoastie80 is a glorious beacon of lightCoastie80 is a glorious beacon of lightCoastie80 is a glorious beacon of light

Coast Guard: Machinery Technician USCG
Name: Kevin
Coastie80's Tacoma Gallery
Did these last night. Ran a bead of clear RTV around the base right after I re-heated them. Came out this afternoon and noticed that the passenger one has a little fog in it right after a really big rain storm came though. Gonna wait to see if it will clear up on its own and then will probably run another bead of silicone around the outside.

So I went outside a little later on. (still raining a bit from earlier and super humid) The fog was gone.
Attached Thumbnails
Blacking Out Headlights, How to-1.jpg   Blacking Out Headlights, How to-2.jpg   Blacking Out Headlights, How to-3.jpg  
Old 08-11-2014, 10:54 PM   #629
Taco enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by stringah View Post
I picked these up off CL to do the BHLM.. They are off of a 2006 tacoma and are in pretty good shape.. The lens needs to get buffed up a little but other than that they are good. I was wondering if I should tint the dtrl lens because I am not sure how the yellow will look after doing the mod. I know I want to leave out the side markers. Was wondering what people did to tint their dtrl lenses and if they will be affected by the heat of the dtrl bulbs?
Hey what did you end up doing with these? All I can say is I would be doing whatever needed to get rid of that yellow lol.
Old 08-18-2014, 06:21 AM   #630
Quote:
Hey what did you end up doing with these? All I can say is I would be doing whatever needed to get rid of that yellow lol.
I have these spare lights apart right now. The oven part was quite easy to do. So I am just taking my time prepping the bezels trying to sand it as much as possible. I think if I paint the turn signal reflector black the yellow lens shouldn't be too noticeable. If it's bad I will tint the yellow lenses with some vht. I probably will have to disable the dtrl so the yellow lenses don't get burnt and crack. I am still debating if I should black out the orange reflector in the outside corner or just tint it a little bit.
I have a brand new oem set on my truck because of the dtrl warranty extension and they have clear turn signal lenses that would be awesome to use for bhlm but I want to wait on doing anything to them for awhile. Just keeping them as an extra set after I put the bhlm ones in.
Old 08-18-2014, 03:01 PM   #631
o0o Flaming Skull Member o0o
o0oSHADOWo0o is one of the sharper tools in the shedo0oSHADOWo0o is one of the sharper tools in the shedo0oSHADOWo0o is one of the sharper tools in the shedo0oSHADOWo0o is one of the sharper tools in the shedo0oSHADOWo0o is one of the sharper tools in the shedo0oSHADOWo0o is one of the sharper tools in the shedo0oSHADOWo0o is one of the sharper tools in the shedo0oSHADOWo0o is one of the sharper tools in the shedo0oSHADOWo0o is one of the sharper tools in the shedo0oSHADOWo0o is one of the sharper tools in the shedo0oSHADOWo0o is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Shadow
o0oSHADOWo0o's Tacoma Gallery
Just so you know... I heard somewhere that soaking the bezels in bleach will remove the chrome without needing to sand them.
Old 08-19-2014, 07:41 PM   #632
tpham55 is a name known to alltpham55 is a name known to alltpham55 is a name known to alltpham55 is a name known to alltpham55 is a name known to alltpham55 is a name known to all

Name: Tim
tpham55's Tacoma Gallery
would it be easier to use sandpaper or steel wool?
Old 08-20-2014, 04:17 PM   #633
o0o Flaming Skull Member o0o
o0oSHADOWo0o is one of the sharper tools in the shedo0oSHADOWo0o is one of the sharper tools in the shedo0oSHADOWo0o is one of the sharper tools in the shedo0oSHADOWo0o is one of the sharper tools in the shedo0oSHADOWo0o is one of the sharper tools in the shedo0oSHADOWo0o is one of the sharper tools in the shedo0oSHADOWo0o is one of the sharper tools in the shedo0oSHADOWo0o is one of the sharper tools in the shedo0oSHADOWo0o is one of the sharper tools in the shedo0oSHADOWo0o is one of the sharper tools in the shedo0oSHADOWo0o is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Shadow
o0oSHADOWo0o's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpham55 View Post
would it be easier to use sandpaper or steel wool?
How about neither. Look at the post above yours ^^^^^
Old 09-01-2014, 07:10 PM   #634
Leveled out taco
Frankie Santoro is on a distinguished road

Name: Frankie
Frankie Santoro's Tacoma Gallery
That looks goooooood

Instagram: collegefrankie
Old 09-04-2014, 01:57 AM   #635
Got the BHLM done. I ended up blacking out the whole bezel and not painting or tinting any of the yellow lenses and orange reflectors. I also used a couple of tubes of black gasket maker to make sure moisture stays out.

Old 09-04-2014, 03:40 AM   #636
Taco enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by stringah View Post
Got the BHLM done. I ended up blacking out the whole bezel and not painting or tinting any of the yellow lenses and orange reflectors. I also used a couple of tubes of black gasket maker to make sure moisture stays out.

Looks good man Nice job
Old 09-05-2014, 09:07 PM   #637
lukemartin88E is on a distinguished road
Name: luke
lukemartin88E's Tacoma Gallery
just did the balm today. threw them back on around 3:00 and right now have condensation in then. solution for morning? i don't think i got a good seal.
Old 09-06-2014, 03:29 AM   #638
Taco enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukemartin88E View Post
just did the balm today. threw them back on around 3:00 and right now have condensation in then. solution for morning? i don't think i got a good seal.
Take a blowdryer on low setting to the back of the light, blowing inside it. Shouldn't take long. Then silicone the hell outta that seal.
Old 09-06-2014, 08:31 AM   #639
lukemartin88E is on a distinguished road
Name: luke
lukemartin88E's Tacoma Gallery
thanks i opened them up, let them dry out then i put silicone around it then threw them back in the oven. lets hope it doesn't condinsate again.
Old 09-20-2014, 09:28 AM   #640
SantaCruz'n is one of the sharper tools in the shedSantaCruz'n is one of the sharper tools in the shedSantaCruz'n is one of the sharper tools in the shedSantaCruz'n is one of the sharper tools in the shedSantaCruz'n is one of the sharper tools in the shedSantaCruz'n is one of the sharper tools in the shedSantaCruz'n is one of the sharper tools in the shedSantaCruz'n is one of the sharper tools in the shedSantaCruz'n is one of the sharper tools in the shedSantaCruz'n is one of the sharper tools in the shedSantaCruz'n is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: EAS
Name: Logan
SantaCruz'n's Tacoma Gallery
What size sockets and torque screw do I need?

Products Discussed in this Thread