Notices

Blacking Out Headlights, How to

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-14-2008, 09:52 PM   #61
PatheticJoe will become famous soon enough

PatheticJoe's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuRDTACO View Post
lol, i figured if i could do it after melting a headlight then anyone could do it...i did only some slight sanding of the chrome on the headlight housing, then just several very light coats of paint to avoid running and pooling. if you'd like, send me a pair of used taco headlights and i'll do em up for you and send them back..
The whole oven thing was the easyest part. The damn 4th screw and paint were 10 times worse. Thanks for the offer on painting a pair for me but I won't need it. Having had it on the truck for a week now I'm absolutely thrilled with the look of my truck. The black paint reflects into the lense so it looks like the lense is tinted and just makes the rest of the black truck really come together. All I have to do is keep people 6 feet away or more and I should be fine.
Old 02-15-2008, 12:17 AM   #62
Carolina Alliance: Midwest Firearms Division
TuRDTACO is on a distinguished road

TuRDTACO's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to TuRDTACO
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatheticJoe View Post
The whole oven thing was the easyest part. The damn 4th screw and paint were 10 times worse. Thanks for the offer on painting a pair for me but I won't need it. Having had it on the truck for a week now I'm absolutely thrilled with the look of my truck. The black paint reflects into the lense so it looks like the lense is tinted and just makes the rest of the black truck really come together. All I have to do is keep people 6 feet away or more and I should be fine.
or just say you paid a high school kid to do them and he did a crappy job lol, that should work too....i'd say also drive faster, but that leads to tickets and i have waaaaay too many of those according to the Illinois secretary of state
Old 02-15-2008, 06:46 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuRDTACO View Post
just say you paid a high school kid to do them and he did a crappy job
Excellent idea.
Old 02-17-2008, 12:14 AM   #64
Carolina Alliance: Midwest Firearms Division
TuRDTACO is on a distinguished road

TuRDTACO's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to TuRDTACO
had you sent them to me they woulda been perfect lol...someone on here has the ones i did from my truck
Old 02-20-2008, 05:00 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatheticJoe View Post
Well I hate to ruin all these great success stories with a bad one but that is how by BHLM experience went. I started on Saturday and after struggling to get that 4th screw out the oven part went easy and off to paint. Based on reading that a lot of other people just painted the plastic with no prep I decided to go the same way and this is what happened.

1. The paint was not sticking to several surfaces which led to..
2. The paint pooling in the corners and
3. The paint running in other spots.

I finally got so sick of it I decided I would sand one down and start over. This was the really really stupid part. Trying to sand off paint that has only been dried for an hour with pooling that is still wet is really dumb. I only got about 10% when I realizied my stupidity. I cleaned it up the best I could and repainted it but now the uneven sanded parts show though. Then to top it off I chipped part of the paint off today poping the pieces back together. Below is a picture of the finished product but up close it looks like crap. Maybe after I get my taxes back I'll go aftermarket on Ebay or hopefully I'll just forget they look like crap up close. BTW, I should point out I'm not a skilled or experienced painter so that probably led to most of this mayhem. Thanks, TuRDTaco for pushing me into this, I told you it was beyond my skills. The grill is new this weekend, seemed like a good time to do both.
Another update, the weather turned south today and now one of the headlights is all misted up inside so I apparently didn't get it sealed. I'll definately go aftermarket now.
Old 02-22-2008, 12:46 PM   #66
Batman
airsoft_warrior is one of the sharper tools in the shedairsoft_warrior is one of the sharper tools in the shedairsoft_warrior is one of the sharper tools in the shedairsoft_warrior is one of the sharper tools in the shedairsoft_warrior is one of the sharper tools in the shedairsoft_warrior is one of the sharper tools in the shedairsoft_warrior is one of the sharper tools in the shedairsoft_warrior is one of the sharper tools in the shedairsoft_warrior is one of the sharper tools in the shedairsoft_warrior is one of the sharper tools in the shedairsoft_warrior is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zack
airsoft_warrior's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to airsoft_warrior
Quote:
Originally Posted by brant_trd View Post
Hey guys a shortcut on taking your emblems off is just use dental floss, but get the good stuff otherwise if you get the cheap stuff like me it will keep breaking on you. I learned this technique from a professional and it sure does save you time. Then you don't have to worry about breaking the emblem or chipping your paint.

Spencer, your truck looks almost as hot as mine, lol. I highly recommend you to spray tinting your tail lights. Its extremely easy and cheap that looks awesome.
I think that would look damn good on your black Tacoma, it looks pretty good on my silver Tacoma. If you want any more info on the spray tint, just give me a message and I'll hook you up! Its at modernperformance.com.

Id like some info on that. I definitely want black tail lights. is it just spraypainted or is there some other technique?
Old 02-22-2008, 02:17 PM   #67
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by airsoft_warrior View Post
Id like some info on that. I definitely want black tail lights. is it just spraypainted or is there some other technique?
there's a product out on the net called "nite shades" i think its made by VTC....but anyways...they make all types of products....ie caliper paint, tint, etc, so make sure that u buy the "spray tint for taillights"
Old 03-03-2008, 07:41 PM   #68
Kyle M is on a distinguished road
Kyle M's Tacoma Gallery
this will be a first mod of mine
Old 03-03-2008, 07:49 PM   #69
Batman
airsoft_warrior is one of the sharper tools in the shedairsoft_warrior is one of the sharper tools in the shedairsoft_warrior is one of the sharper tools in the shedairsoft_warrior is one of the sharper tools in the shedairsoft_warrior is one of the sharper tools in the shedairsoft_warrior is one of the sharper tools in the shedairsoft_warrior is one of the sharper tools in the shedairsoft_warrior is one of the sharper tools in the shedairsoft_warrior is one of the sharper tools in the shedairsoft_warrior is one of the sharper tools in the shedairsoft_warrior is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zack
airsoft_warrior's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to airsoft_warrior
Of course when i do this the first time on the road a cop pulls me over gives me a $50 fine and a work order. It really sucks. He must have had a bad day.
Old 03-03-2008, 08:44 PM   #70
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Of course when i do this the first time on the road a cop pulls me over gives me a $50 fine and a work order. It really sucks. He must have had a bad day.
are u friggin serious? how dark did u go?
Old 03-03-2008, 09:40 PM   #71
Big Guns is on a distinguished road
Big Guns's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Thats lame. It's like a So Cal staple here, with all the soccer mom's wanting to "murder out" their escalades and suburbans.
Old 03-29-2008, 11:45 AM   #73
yak is on a distinguished road
yak's Tacoma Gallery
does anoyone ever seen indigo tacoma with blacked-out headlight? Im thinking of doing it but I'd like to see how it looks first.

thanks
Old 05-16-2008, 06:23 PM   #74
Displaced Texan
MotoXFreeStyle61 is a name known to allMotoXFreeStyle61 is a name known to allMotoXFreeStyle61 is a name known to allMotoXFreeStyle61 is a name known to allMotoXFreeStyle61 is a name known to allMotoXFreeStyle61 is a name known to all

Air Force: 1LT
MotoXFreeStyle61's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to MotoXFreeStyle61 Send a message via MSN to MotoXFreeStyle61
Just finished tearing my headlights apart. Took a lot of pullin and tuggin but it eventually submitted to my will. I had to put it back in the oven twice for 5 mins. As of right now the paint is drying. I'll post pics of the install in a few.
Old 05-16-2008, 07:22 PM   #75
AKA: Jake the Wolf
kristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant future

kristopherl's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoXFreeStyle61 View Post
Just finished tearing my headlights apart. Took a lot of pullin and tuggin but it eventually submitted to my will. I had to put it back in the oven twice for 5 mins. As of right now the paint is drying. I'll post pics of the install in a few.
good deal !!! It will look great when your done. I had to do the same by putting them in the oven a few times.
Old 05-19-2008, 07:19 AM   #78
Displaced Texan
MotoXFreeStyle61 is a name known to allMotoXFreeStyle61 is a name known to allMotoXFreeStyle61 is a name known to allMotoXFreeStyle61 is a name known to allMotoXFreeStyle61 is a name known to allMotoXFreeStyle61 is a name known to all

Send a message via AIM to MotoXFreeStyle61 Send a message via MSN to MotoXFreeStyle61
Finished my blacked out headlights yesterday and I have to say that I definantly love it a lot more.

One thing to note to people who are going to do this. Be careful where you get the glue. When it gets hot its almost like hot glue and will get everywhere. If it gets on the clear plastic part of the headlight it will be a bitch to get off. Just be careful and patient and everything and you will be fine.

It took me about an hour to figure out how to get the headlights out, but all but 15mins to put them back in. The only problem is getting to that 10mm bolt that is on the inside corner of the bumper by the fog light. I posted a picture of where it is just in case some are wondering what I'm talking about.
Old 05-19-2008, 07:42 AM   #79
Displaced Texan

Here's how I got to the small 10mm bolt. I just unscrewed 3 screws and took out 1 clip and pulled back the fender. The bolt is practically invisible so I had to use my hands to find it. The arrow points to where it is.
Attached Thumbnails
Blacking Out Headlights, How to-img_1327smaller.jpg   Blacking Out Headlights, How to-img_1329boltsmaller.jpg  
Old 06-14-2008, 05:47 PM   #80
Eat My Dirt
Siafu is a jewel in the roughSiafu is a jewel in the roughSiafu is a jewel in the rough

Siafu's Tacoma Gallery
Spencer how about a pic of the final product?

Products Discussed in this Thread