LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

Blacking Out Headlights, How to

Old 11-20-2008, 12:44 PM   #81
-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Greg
-TRDMAN-'s Tacoma Gallery
did anybody paint them white on a white truck....got pics???
Old 11-20-2008, 03:21 PM   #82
There's an evil monkey in my truck
Evil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Tradevman (flight simulator tech), Aviation Electrician (F-14a), Computer Scientist(civ)
Name: Robert
Evil Monkey's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by -TRDMAN- View Post
did anybody paint them white on a white truck....got pics???
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...tml#post227107
Old 11-20-2008, 04:44 PM   #84
-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Greg
-TRDMAN-'s Tacoma Gallery
^^^ thanks guys!!
Old 01-17-2009, 05:26 PM   #85
Its Not Just A Truck
KEG87 is a jewel in the roughKEG87 is a jewel in the roughKEG87 is a jewel in the rough

KEG87's Tacoma Gallery
Good tech advice and cheap i just finished mine some recommendations heat the head lights in the oven for 15 minutes instead of 8 i did the first one for 8 and then stuck it back in for 7 more and it came apart a little easier the second i just went for straight 15 minutes and it came apart easy it didn't damage the light in any way and also instead of black electrical tape for a seal on the outside i used an epoxy thanks for the tips great trick

BEFORE AFTER
Attached Thumbnails
Blacking Out Headlights, How to-100_0687.jpg   Blacking Out Headlights, How to-100_0690.jpg  
Old 01-20-2009, 05:39 PM   #86
skierpunk is on a distinguished road
skierpunk's Tacoma Gallery
For those of you considering painting the tails with niteshades I've heard you can spray a clear coat at the end to give your lights the natural gloss back instead of the flat look. Please note I do not have personal experience with this, only secondhand experience reading this on other forms. I avoided the issue altogether and used 3M overlays on mine.

Also, does anyone know it there are directions on how to do this using a heat gun?
Old 01-22-2009, 07:22 PM   #87
Its Not Just A Truck
KEG87 is a jewel in the roughKEG87 is a jewel in the roughKEG87 is a jewel in the rough

KEG87's Tacoma Gallery
I don't suggest using a heat gun just man up and put them in the oven it will not hurt them
Old 02-09-2009, 02:43 PM   #88
hirshy30 is on a distinguished road

Name: MATT
hirshy30's Tacoma Gallery
is there any alternate ways to apply the newly painted emblems? not using epoxy so that u can take them off if you wanted?
Old 02-22-2009, 10:03 AM   #89
Adrenaline Addict
Mx SuperFly 25 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMx SuperFly 25 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMx SuperFly 25 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMx SuperFly 25 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMx SuperFly 25 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMx SuperFly 25 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMx SuperFly 25 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMx SuperFly 25 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMx SuperFly 25 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMx SuperFly 25 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMx SuperFly 25 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Mx SuperFly 25's Tacoma Gallery
i realize you don't have to sand the chrome, has anyone ever used adhesion promoter instead? would that work?

thanks in advance
Old 02-22-2009, 11:10 AM   #90
The Reel Sportsman
TacomaYAK will become famous soon enoughTacomaYAK will become famous soon enough

TacomaYAK's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mx SuperFly 25 View Post
i realize you don't have to sand the chrome, has anyone ever used adhesion promoter instead? would that work?

thanks in advance
I used both, only because I didn't have time (or patience) to sit there and sand away. I sanded each for about 5 mins and then put a coat of the promotor. The final product turned out great.
Old 02-22-2009, 08:54 PM   #91
Adrenaline Addict
Mx SuperFly 25 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMx SuperFly 25 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMx SuperFly 25 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMx SuperFly 25 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMx SuperFly 25 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMx SuperFly 25 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMx SuperFly 25 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMx SuperFly 25 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMx SuperFly 25 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMx SuperFly 25 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMx SuperFly 25 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacomaYAK View Post
I used both, only because I didn't have time (or patience) to sit there and sand away. I sanded each for about 5 mins and then put a coat of the promotor. The final product turned out great.

thanks!
Old 03-27-2009, 09:02 AM   #92
Is mod CraZy...
stevomac59 is a name known to allstevomac59 is a name known to allstevomac59 is a name known to allstevomac59 is a name known to allstevomac59 is a name known to allstevomac59 is a name known to all

stevomac59's Tacoma Gallery
I wish I could trust myself to do that...I love the blacked out HL and the Blacked out grille... someone should make a video for the VISUAL learners lol
Old 04-15-2009, 05:45 PM   #93
fixedforbroke is an unknown quantity at this point

fixedforbroke's Tacoma Gallery
ALL HAIL SPENCER! Great write-up i now know what im doing sunday!
This may sound stupid but is there any chance of my headlights deforming or cracking under the heating and cooling of this procedure, what are the headlights rated for as far as heat goes?
Old 04-15-2009, 06:47 PM   #94
Is mod CraZy...
stevomac59 is a name known to allstevomac59 is a name known to allstevomac59 is a name known to allstevomac59 is a name known to allstevomac59 is a name known to allstevomac59 is a name known to all

stevomac59's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by fixedforbroke View Post
ALL HAIL SPENCER! Great write-up i now know what im doing sunday!
This may sound stupid but is there any chance of my headlights deforming or cracking under the heating and cooling of this procedure, what are the headlights rated for as far as heat goes?

What you do, is preheat the oven to 200 and turn it off once you think it reaches that temp... when I did mine, no cracks were present! Also, when you do it... make sure not to get dirty fingerprints on the inside of the headlight lens...Use windex to clean it
Old 04-16-2009, 07:56 PM   #95
Adrenaline Addict

just as an FYI, figure out what you want to do with your blinkers before you take everything apart, you have a couple options..

in this thread he painted everything black

some guys don't paint the chrome around the blinker at all

i decided to run one strip of masking tape up the chrome reflector, so i will still get some black in there, and still keep some chrome to keep the blinkers nice and bright..

here are some pics to explain..

good luck!
Attached Thumbnails
Blacking Out Headlights, How to-p2260132.jpg   Blacking Out Headlights, How to-p2270144.jpg   Blacking Out Headlights, How to-p2270139.jpg  
Old 04-16-2009, 10:27 PM   #96
fixedforbroke is an unknown quantity at this point

fixedforbroke's Tacoma Gallery
thanks stevo, this may also be a rather stupid question. Is there any certain position that i should put them in the oven? anyone have any pics? still think this is the best diy mod for tacos.
Old 05-14-2009, 02:01 PM   #97
nike11 is on a distinguished road
nike11's Tacoma Gallery
Blacked out

I am not sure if i should go with the chrome look on my truck or i should black it out. If anyoine has a Blacked out taco please post some pics so i can see which i would like better.
Old 05-17-2009, 06:34 AM   #98
Coastie Joe has much to be proud ofCoastie Joe has much to be proud ofCoastie Joe has much to be proud ofCoastie Joe has much to be proud ofCoastie Joe has much to be proud ofCoastie Joe has much to be proud ofCoastie Joe has much to be proud ofCoastie Joe has much to be proud of
Coast Guard: Boatswains Mate/PSU 309
Name: Andy
Coastie Joe's Tacoma Gallery
My question is what style of paint to use? I cant decide if I should go flat or gloss?? I am thinkin gloss would be the way to go... Any ideas/photos?
Old 05-18-2009, 05:05 PM   #100
Cars0n` is one of the sharper tools in the shedCars0n` is one of the sharper tools in the shedCars0n` is one of the sharper tools in the shedCars0n` is one of the sharper tools in the shedCars0n` is one of the sharper tools in the shedCars0n` is one of the sharper tools in the shedCars0n` is one of the sharper tools in the shedCars0n` is one of the sharper tools in the shedCars0n` is one of the sharper tools in the shedCars0n` is one of the sharper tools in the shedCars0n` is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Carson
Cars0n`'s Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to Cars0n`
so how do the signals turn out anyways? are they still visibly orange? I'm pretty sure its illegal to have anything buy orange in the front. and has anyone left out the orange colored plastic piece for the signals and that little corner reflector? if so post up some pics please. it would be greatly appreciated.