Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

help..? wiring the 3rd light on cap..?

Old 08-04-2012, 07:46 AM   #1
sapper110 is on a distinguished road
Army:
sapper110's Tacoma Gallery
help..? wiring the 3rd light on cap..?

Ok...I am very new to Tacoma and to top it off not much of an electrical guy. First the set up...I am running a 2011 Tacoma with the 2.7 l, 4 cyl engine. I just bought a second hand Leer cap. Now I want to wire the 3rd brake light thats in the back of the cap (above the door). Which wires do I need to tap from the brake light assembly..? The cap also has a white cargo light in it. I would also like to tap a wire to power that as well but my my main concern is the 3rd brake light for now.

Anyone help..?

Thanks
Old 08-04-2012, 09:04 AM   #2
Army:
I would post a picture of the three wires running into the brake light on the tail light assembly, but I havent figured out how to do that yet.

Anyway the 3 wires are colored green, green with red stripe and white with black stripe. which ones do I cut and which one goes to the red and black of the 3rd brake light.?
Old 08-04-2012, 09:50 AM   #3
joes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Joe
joes06tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapper110 View Post
I would post a picture of the three wires running into the brake light on the tail light assembly, but I havent figured out how to do that yet.

Anyway the 3 wires are colored green, green with red stripe and white with black stripe. which ones do I cut and which one goes to the red and black of the 3rd brake light.?
White with black stripe is ground. That gets connected to the black shell wire.

Not sure on the other two. I THINK the green with red stripe is your brake light wire that connects to the red wire on the shell. Worst that could happen is you hookup to the tail lights and have to splice the wire back together.

I used a fuse tap inside the cab and ran a new wire for the cargo light.
Old 08-04-2012, 01:44 PM   #4
Army:
Thanks Joes06Tacoma.... Yes the truck green/red = cap red. I did a temp splice at first to give it a try and it worked. After that I did a more permanent splice with a couple of butt connector, heat shrink over that for water / moisture prevention and then re-wrapped it back into therubber sleeve that orginally covered the tail light wiring harness . I actually spliced in a Reese 2 prong trailer connector so that way when it is time to take the cap off I can simply unplug it without cutting or re-splicing wires.

Thanks again Joes06Tacoma...