Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

Adding 4 KC 130w Lights

Old 08-09-2012, 07:38 AM   #1
gatormanpc is on a distinguished road
Name: Perry
gatormanpc's Tacoma Gallery
Adding 4 KC 130w Lights

After adding all the nessesary relay's etc... can I pull power from the hot side of the factory fog lights? or will this overload the factory switch? I'm already running 65w bulbs 9005 in them with no problem..
Old 08-09-2012, 07:44 AM   #2
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Do NOT pull power for additional lights from the fog light circuit. You will overload the circuit. You're already pushing it with 60W bulbs.

You can use the fog light hot to trigger the relay but those lights need their own fused power feed. When sizing your relay, if all 4 are going to be run off the same relay, make sure it is big enough to handle the load. 4 - 130W lights will draw almost 45 amps...
Old 08-09-2012, 07:56 AM   #3
Thanks..That was what I was asking about...Just using the hot as a trigger to the relays...
Old 08-09-2012, 08:12 AM   #4
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatormanpc View Post
Thanks..That was what I was asking about...Just using the hot as a trigger to the relays...
Normally I'd say just using them to power the relay as a trigger would be fine but your setup in particular might have issues and here's why: If I'm not mistaken, the fogs have a 10A fuse. Currently, you're drawing a full 10A if you're running 60W bulbs.

There shouldn't be any issues using the fog light hot wire to power the relay for your other lights but, if you happen to try it and blow your fuse you'll know why. Powering the relay could be the straw that broke the camel's back so to speak.
Old 08-09-2012, 09:05 AM   #5
maybe I should put the stock 45w bulbs back before I add the lights...also do you think a 45a draw is to much? should I get 100w instead?...thanks
Old 08-09-2012, 09:15 AM   #6
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Why not spend the bucks and get HID off road lights... 35 watts on them is equal to 130 watts of halogen light? If you want to go crazy, KC makes 70 watt HID lights!
Old 08-09-2012, 09:25 AM   #7
Can't spend that much now....The wife is buying them for me and she thinks there un-nessesary...Maybe later..Light bar came in today and I'm trying to decide on HELLA 700FF or the KC 130w/100w
Old 08-09-2012, 10:10 AM   #8
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
I understand! Exactly true, in all reality I have hardly needed mine, as you just don't do a lot of night driving in Baja... We are already in camp and enjoying the campfire and adult beverages! I got the Kragen HIDs because they were cheap (for HIDs)... and being Chinese made and plastic, they both broke on their first Baja trip... Josh fixed them with fiberglass, but he already hooked me up with a pair of Hella 4000 metal 100 watt halogen lamps, so we changed the light bar to hold all four. I had that person in Orange County convert the Hellas to HID... again trying to save money, only to have issues with failing, wrong color, etc. They are good now with 5000K bulbs (I think).

Anyway, the 100 watt KCs (or 130) will be great... before HID, that was what the professional off road racers used, afterall. Have a great time with them!
Old 08-09-2012, 10:31 AM   #9

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
maybe I should put the stock 45w bulbs back before I add the lights...also do you think a 45a draw is to much? should I get 100w instead?...thanks
You can try them out with the 60W bulbs, it might work fine. I was just letting you know just in case the fuse blows so you don't immediately think it's your wiring that was to blame. I'd wire it up using the fog light hot wire as your trigger for the relay. If the fuse blows, put the 45 watt bulbs in the fogs and try again. If the fuse blows again, then you'll know definitively that it's your wiring.

45A is a decent draw, I wouldn't want to have a lot of other things running at the same time. That being said, are you sure you want these to be on when the fogs are on? Unless you do the fog light anytime mod, that limits you to only using your off road lights with your low beams which doesn't make much sense. Almost makes more sense to use your high beam hot wire as your trigger.

Just a suggestion, but i'd use separate relays for the pairs of lights, maybe center 2 on one relay, outter 2 on another. That way you can have them switched differently if you like. I've got a similar setup to yours except using 4 - PIAA 520 lamps. The center 2 are on a switch that is only powered when the high beams are on. The outter 2 are on a switch and can be turned on any time. Eventually, I'd like to re-wire the outter 2 to an on-off-on switch so in one position they can turn on whenever the truck is on, the other position would turn them on with my high beams.
Old 08-10-2012, 10:02 AM   #10
I got the light bar installed and lights will be here in a few days...I went with 2 130w long range KC's and 2 130w driving beam KC's..
Attached Thumbnails
Adding 4 KC 130w Lights-img_0646.jpg  
Old 08-10-2012, 10:36 AM   #11

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I got the light bar installed and lights will be here in a few days...I went with 2 130w long range KC's and 2 130w driving beam KC's..
Sweet... please post photos of them at night, showing how they light up the road... once you get them aimed correctly!
Old 08-10-2012, 10:52 AM   #12
Will do.
Old 08-13-2012, 11:58 PM   #13
Power Top
MonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: K9 Handler
MonkeyProof's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to MonkeyProof Send a message via Skype™ to MonkeyProof
Quote:
Originally Posted by David K View Post
I understand! Exactly true, in all reality I have hardly needed mine, as you just don't do a lot of night driving in Baja... We are already in camp and enjoying the campfire and adult beverages! I got the Kragen HIDs because they were cheap (for HIDs)... and being Chinese made and plastic, they both broke on their first Baja trip... Josh fixed them with fiberglass, but he already hooked me up with a pair of Hella 4000 metal 100 watt halogen lamps, so we changed the light bar to hold all four. I had that person in Orange County convert the Hellas to HID... again trying to save money, only to have issues with failing, wrong color, etc. They are good now with 5000K bulbs (I think).

Anyway, the 100 watt KCs (or 130) will be great... before HID, that was what the professional off road racers used, afterall. Have a great time with them!

those cheap chinese made lights broke because of your cheap flimsy "light bar" that you have. it simply vibrates too much on wash board fire roads or on anything that is not pavement smooth. the flickering and strobbing affect would kill me if i had that type of mail order light bar vibrating as it does. get a real light bar and you will notice the difference in the first 5 feet of movement. i've had my "Chinese made and plastic" lights on my tacoma since mid 2008 without any issues and i also have a pair on my rockcrawler without any issues ll because they are mounted solidly on a real light bar.
Old 08-14-2012, 12:27 AM   #14

David K's Tacoma Gallery
This light bar was custom built at Stewart's Raceworks, I guarantee you it does not vibrate any more than the entire truck, and is solid. Just what is your problem with facts and honesty. In the other thread you claimed I ripped off my bumper! Fantasy not reality... let me guess, you are voting for Obama again, too?!
Old 08-14-2012, 12:37 AM   #15
Power Top
MonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: K9 Handler
MonkeyProof's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to MonkeyProof Send a message via Skype™ to MonkeyProof
Quote:
Originally Posted by David K View Post
This light bar was custom built at Stewart's Raceworks, I guarantee you it does not vibrate any more than the entire truck, and is solid. Just what is your problem with facts and honesty. In the other thread you claimed I ripped off my bumper! Fantasy not reality... let me guess, you are voting for Obama again, too?!
wow David K, you're on a roll tonight. good job!

Old 08-14-2012, 09:20 AM   #16
Truck ~n~ Tow
TacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: BU3....   Builder with NMCB3 1981-1986...  SeaBee's if that's easier...
TacoDell's Tacoma Gallery
sticking some pretender tube work on the front of a truck..
just to mount some vibrating lights

sounds like someone is compensating

but as long as they makes ya feel like king dong...
Yer golden

better then nothin' I suppose
Old 08-18-2012, 02:03 PM   #17
Jury is out on the Yellow Smilies....Thinking about some black paint? Night shots later.
Attached Thumbnails
Adding 4 KC 130w Lights-img_0660.jpg   Adding 4 KC 130w Lights-img_0659.jpg   Adding 4 KC 130w Lights-img_0658.jpg   Adding 4 KC 130w Lights-img_0657.jpg   Adding 4 KC 130w Lights-img_0653.jpg  

Old 08-18-2012, 06:17 PM   #18
Aimed pretty close. Huge difference for the $$..Less than 450.00 for bar and lights.
Attached Thumbnails
Adding 4 KC 130w Lights-img_0667.jpg   Adding 4 KC 130w Lights-img_0668.jpg   Adding 4 KC 130w Lights-img_0670.jpg  
Old 08-19-2012, 01:35 PM   #19
Black looks better.
Attached Thumbnails
Adding 4 KC 130w Lights-image.jpg  
Old 08-19-2012, 01:40 PM   #20

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Looks good! I liked the smilies

You could aim the outter 2 a little wider and light up 6 lanes across easily!