Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

HID reverse lights with Instant on

Old 08-09-2012, 11:48 PM   #1
xyourlocaldjx is on a distinguished road
xyourlocaldjx's Tacoma Gallery
HID reverse lights with Instant on

Saw this on another forum...
Basically installs HIDS into his reverse lights and lightly bondo's the bulb into the socket. can probably use silicon or something to prevent moisture. anyone ever done this? Was going to install a billy light, but they're freakin expensive.

http://tl.acurazine.com/forums/showt...6#post11802436
Old 08-10-2012, 12:03 AM   #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konaborne View Post
I just threw LED's in mine....

Are you able to flip them on while driving? And how bright are they?

As far as aux lights.. I dont like mounting anything on the outside where people can just steal it. Thats why i mounted my hellas behind the grill.
Old 08-10-2012, 12:12 AM   #4
Just think outside the Yota
CayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
CayucosTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by xyourlocaldjx View Post
Are you able to flip them on while driving? And how bright are they?

As far as aux lights.. I dont like mounting anything on the outside where people can just steal it. Thats why i mounted my hellas behind the grill.
LED are just plugged in directly to where your stock reverse lights would be, and automatically go on when you are in reverse. And they are pretty bright. Ill try to dig up a comparison picture
Old 08-10-2012, 12:15 AM   #5
CayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpack_5150 View Post
X2 on the security bolts.......

As for things being ripped off OP, make sure to get a pop n lock to "deter" theft of ur tail lights....specially if u invest in this upgrade.

Once ur tail gate is open, all it takes is 2 bolts on each side, a quick pull, and ur tails are gone.

Pop n lock prolly has a limited number of keys (I bet its around a dozen lol).....and bet it can be picked with 2 paperclips, but it may make a small time thief walk to the next tacoma.

Course it may help ya keep ur tailgate when used in combination with the hose clamp mod.......again, its all just "detering"....if they rlly want it, they will get it

Im contimplating getting some security screws for my tails actually.
I sense a Lowe's trip coming
Old 08-10-2012, 12:25 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpack_5150 View Post
Possibly........or a mcmaster carr order
Yes that'd work. well you should let me know when you order a set
But here is the pic of the LED
Old 08-10-2012, 12:29 AM   #7
dang.... I guess i'll go LED... MUCH cheaper. just need to figure out how to connect a switch to turn them on when i want.

I ordered dome lights and the center one is nice and white but the two up front throw off like a light bluish color... not cool =(

Quote:
Originally Posted by CayucosTacoma View Post
Yes that'd work. well you should let me know when you order a set
But here is the pic of the LED
Old 08-10-2012, 12:43 AM   #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSU Taco85 View Post
Tap into the factory reverse wire, use a SPST switch with an isolation diode

and this is why i'm studying construction engineering and not electrical engineering lol.
Old 08-10-2012, 05:40 AM   #9
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by xyourlocaldjx View Post
and this is why i'm studying construction engineering and not electrical engineering lol.
That's not electrical engineering, just basic automotive wiring.

SPST = Single pole single throw switch. This is a basic switch that you can pick up at a local auto parts store.

Diode = You said you're in construction so this is like a backflow preventor for electricity. It only allows electricity to flow through it in one direction preventing you from backfeeding a circuit.