Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

Hella BM 1000 Wiring Help

Old 08-14-2012, 07:20 PM   #1
doja1234 is on a distinguished road
Air Force:
doja1234's Tacoma Gallery
Hella BM 1000 Wiring Help

First time poster long time reader....I would first like to say thank you for the many informative posts. I have learned a lot from all the folks who put the time and effort into this awesome forum.

I took a go at installing these hella 1000s and I thought after reading what seemd to be every related post on the internet this would be a fairly easy install. Unfortunately, I am seriously confused. I have everything wired up, but I really don't want to tap into my high beam wire I would much rather just run them so they work separately.. I have read numerous posts on how to do this and just don't get it. Many are referencing different colors, etc... Is there anyone who can explain this in a way I might understand???

currently the purple/yellow from the relay run to the switch with only the purple single supply line unwired. I had originally intended to wire this using a fuse relay I purchased at autozone.

I purchased the switch many members have used previously from Toyota maybe this is the culprit??

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance!
Old 08-14-2012, 10:45 PM   #2
joes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Joe
joes06tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Are you able to post a pic of the switch and relay you are using? That might help, the wiring colors you posted don't mean anything to me. There is no standard wiring color code for lights that I know of.

Generally, all decent off road light kits will have a relay with standard markings on the terminals of the relay:

30-constant (+) power from the battery (inline fuse required)
87-switched (+) power out of the relay to the lights
86,85-these two are for the relay's coil (think of a relay as a remote controlled switch. The coil inside is an electromagnet used to close the contacts of terminal 30 and 87) Ground one of these two terminals, connect the other through a switch to a positive source of power. You can use the battery (inline fuse required for safety), the high beams, cigarette lighter, parking lights, etc. I use the parking light circuit most of the time. That allows me to use the lights any time the parking lights are on. If I forget to switch them off, they go off automatically with the factory lights.