Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

A few ?? about PIAA light insatll

Old 08-15-2012, 01:02 PM   #1
BHP is on a distinguished road
BHP's Tacoma Gallery
A few ?? about PIAA light insatll

Hi,

I have a 2002 Dbl Cab that I've owned since new, and I'm trying to freshen it up for the next 10 years. I installed some bedside decals from Sockmonkey and a new bull bar.

I purchased a new set of PIAA 510s to install on my bull bar. Now, I've never done any electrical work on my car, but I feel pretty confident about installing the wiring for these lights if I can get a few questions answered.

1. Wire routing from the lights-in front of the radiator or behind?

2. I see the gasket in the firewall that I need to route the switch wires through. What's the best way to accomplish getting wire through the gasket without damaging the gasket? Wire Hanger and electrical tape?

3. From what I've read, it looks like the high beam wire for my truck is the red and yellow wire, but I'd like confirmation of that.

Any other tips or issues would be appreciated.

Bill
Old 08-15-2012, 02:07 PM   #2
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BHP View Post
1. Wire routing from the lights-in front of the radiator or behind?

I'd run the wires around the driver's side of the radiator and out your lower grill to the first light, then across the bull bar to the second light. Use wire loom and black zip ties to secure the wires to the bull bar cross bar (also use the wire loom in the engine bay, it helps prevent frayed wires and makes things look nice and neat/factory looking)

2. I see the gasket in the firewall that I need to route the switch wires through. What's the best way to accomplish getting wire through the gasket without damaging the gasket? Wire Hanger and electrical tape?

This is the method I use. Once the wires are run through the gromet, hit it with some black RTV silicone to make sure it's sealed up well.

3. From what I've read, it looks like the high beam wire for my truck is the red and yellow wire, but I'd like confirmation of that.

No idea, I have a 2nd Gen. A test light would come in handy for this. If you tap into the high beam for your 'trigger' light for the relay, this means your lights will only work when your high beams are on. Since you're mounting the lights low on a bull bar, they might be more effective as fog lights in which case you'd want the ability to have them on with your low beams also. Just something to think about.
Any other tips or issues would be appreciated.

Bill
I have 2 sets of PIAA 520's and their wiring kits are easy to install however I didn't trust those quick connectors to hold up in the elements on the front of a truck. I cut off all the connectors and soldered and heat shrunk everything. If you're planning on those lights lasting for 10 years, I'd suggest doing the same. If not, at least put some dielectric grease in the quick connector to help keep water and dirt from getting in.

Welcome to TW by the way!
Old 08-15-2012, 02:23 PM   #3
BHP's Tacoma Gallery
That helps quite a bit...

Thanks for the info and the welcome!

From looking closer it looks like I can run the wires for the lights down the driver's side and then though the opening for the headlamp, and down along the lower bumper valance.

I'm using these as driving lights. We don't have a lot of fog down here, but I do a lot of driving in rural areas and forest service roads at night, so I'm looking to just tie them into my high beams.

I've looked at a wiring diagram for a 2003, and I'm assuming that it's the same as 2002, and it showed the red/yellow wire for the high beams, but I'd like confirmation before the install.

Thanks again.
Old 08-15-2012, 02:28 PM   #4
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
No problem. If you have an auto parts store nearby, a test light is a handy tool for any automotive wiring. It makes finding the correct circuit very easy and also can be used as a quick tester to see if a wire or circuit is hot. They're pretty cheap also.
Old 08-15-2012, 02:38 PM   #5
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Lieutenant
DeeKay21's Tacoma Gallery
Just a tip for a fellow member, I also have PIAA 520's behind my grill on my 2006 and I use them quite a bit for DTRL's on the highway and things like that so I wouldnt wire them up with your high beams. Plus it will give you the freedom to turn them on and off whenever you please.
Old 08-15-2012, 02:58 PM   #6
BHP's Tacoma Gallery
I would consider not hooking them up to the high beams if there is some way (I'm sure there is) to make sure the lights turn off with the ignition, so I don't leave them on and drain my battery.
Old 08-15-2012, 03:04 PM   #7
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
I would consider not hooking them up to the high beams if there is some way (I'm sure there is) to make sure the lights turn off with the ignition, so I don't leave them on and drain my battery.
I hooked mine up that way but I just forgot which wire I tied into!! But mine shut off when the truck shuts off for just that reason.
Old 08-15-2012, 03:09 PM   #8
BHP's Tacoma Gallery
I wonder if I could wire them into my parking lights. Then they could be on with the parking lamp or headlamps but off with the lights off. Then I could run them as DTRL as needed, which my truck doesn't have.
Old 08-15-2012, 03:13 PM   #9
Lieutenant Dan.

Quote:
I wonder if I could wire them into my parking lights. Then they could be on with the parking lamp or headlamps but off with the lights off. Then I could run them as DTRL as needed, which my truck doesn't have.
Either way I think you should wire them up separately so you have control of them whenever you want. Search around on the forum a bit cause trust me, there are plenty of guys out there that have installed off-road lights to their trucks so I'm sure they would know.
Old 08-16-2012, 01:00 PM   #10
BHP's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the tips...

I installed my lights today using the PIAA directions and tips from this forum. I loomed all of my wiring and wired into the parking lights, using my new circuit tester to find the hot wire. Thankfully, everything works as it should with no glitches.

Thanks for the help!
Old 01-02-2013, 12:47 PM   #11
R.I.P. "Pearl the Shark"
BluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jon
BluePearlShark99's Tacoma Gallery
Lightbulb

Quote:
I installed my lights today using the PIAA directions and tips from this forum. I loomed all of my wiring and wired into the parking lights, using my new circuit tester to find the hot wire. Thankfully, everything works as it should with no glitches.

Thanks for the help!
i wanna do this with my existing cheapo advance auto led fogs... but i dont understand what i need to change about the current set up:
my lights are currently wired up like this:

two lights w/ a ground each and a wire joining each as one into the switch. switch also has ground and inline fuze to battery. the switch has three total wires going to it.

where do i go from here, if i wanna make em come in with amber corners or ignition? either would work for me...
Old 01-02-2013, 12:55 PM   #12
Very nice how much?
Forster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Firefighter/EMT
Name: Nick
Forster46's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to Forster46
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluePearlShark99 View Post
i wanna do this with my existing cheapo advance auto led fogs... but i dont understand what i need to change about the current set up:
my lights are currently wired up like this:

two lights w/ a ground each and a wire joining each as one into the switch. switch also has ground and inline fuze to battery. the switch has three total wires going to it.

where do i go from here, if i wanna make em come in with amber corners or ignition? either would work for me...
Get rid of the switch and wire them straight to the running lights wire. Or just leave the switch on and plug the fuse into a spot that comes on with ignition. Haha
Old 01-02-2013, 01:03 PM   #13
R.I.P. "Pearl the Shark"
BluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forster46 View Post
Get rid of the switch and wire them straight to the running lights wire.
yes, thats what i want to do, please teach me how to do it

would i just take the positive wires from each fog and splice into the corner light wire for each designated side?

no fuze? no relay? no battery? no switch? no fire? is this safe?
Old 01-02-2013, 01:33 PM   #14

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluePearlShark99 View Post
yes, thats what i want to do, please teach me how to do it

would i just take the positive wires from each fog and splice into the corner light wire for each designated side?

no fuze? no relay? no battery? no switch? no fire? is this safe?
NO!

You should always use a relay and an in-line fuse when wiring in an aftermarket accessory with very, very few exceptions.

If you want your aftermarket lights to come on when the marker lights come on, and do not want them controlled by a switch at all, tap into the marker light wire, use that to trigger your relay. Run power from the battery with an in-line fuse to power your relay and your accessory. Your accessory will then come on whenever your marker lights come on.

If you want to get a little fancier, run the tapped wire from your marker light to your switch, then from the switch to your relay to trigger your relay. That way your marker lights must be turned on AND the switch must be turned on in order for the aftermarker lights to work.
Old 01-02-2013, 01:44 PM   #15
TACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kelly
TACO TX's Tacoma Gallery
Power from battery to relay, ground relay, power from relay to lights. Tap power to switch from 12volt plug as well as ground. Load wire from switch to relay. Inline fuse close to battery between it and relay. They go off with ignition and you can turn on anytime. Use existing switch ports next to 12 volt plugs.
Old 01-02-2013, 03:10 PM   #16
R.I.P. "Pearl the Shark"

omg im lost, i dont understand relays, need more detail. how do i know which to tap into? or should i re-use the one i removed to do the "power outlet always on mod" in a different slot? if so which one and what prong does what and what needs to be done to connect to relay?
i cant just use the inline fuze to tap into the corner light wire? which wire is it anyways?
Old 01-02-2013, 04:28 PM   #17
TACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TACO TX's Tacoma Gallery
Left prong on switch is power, right should be ground, middle is load. Run power from switch and tap power outlet hot, run ground and tap negative. Run load wire out through firewall to relay. Mount relay on fenderwell and ground it with screw you attach it with. Run large power wire with inline fuse from relay to battery. Pigtail power wires and grounds from lights. Run hot wire to relay and ground from lights to battery or chassis. relay should have numbers on it and should have diagram to tell what goes to which number or you can googl it and get diagram.
Old 01-02-2013, 04:47 PM   #18
R.I.P. "Pearl the Shark"

this is hopeless... i feel retarded.

i have had my fog lites installed for a few months now as the instructions showed me, like so:

two lights w/ a ground each. a positive wire for each lite, joining into one wire before going into the switch. switch also has ground and inline fuze to battery. the switch has three total wires going to it and is not mounted left to right, it is up and down.

i dont know what ur refering to as power outlet hot, run ground and tap negative, Pigtail.

Mount relay on fenderwell???? i cant use one of the unused spaces in the fuze box for the relay?
Run hot wire to relay????
Old 01-02-2013, 05:24 PM   #19

TACO TX's Tacoma Gallery
Sorry dude, dont know what else to do for ya.
Old 01-02-2013, 06:36 PM   #20
R.I.P. "Pearl the Shark"

thanx for trying, but i need pictures and terms that someone like me with no electrical knowledge can understand (the version for dummies) lol