1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Dual Projectors or Not

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Rascal737, Aug 15, 2012.

?

retrofit the high beam reflector or not

Poll closed Sep 14, 2012.
  1. retrofit

8 vote(s)
    42.1%
  2. leave it the way it is

8 vote(s)
    42.1%
  3. leave it but replace with super bright halogens

3 vote(s)
    15.8%
  1. Aug 15, 2012 at 8:45 PM
    Rascal737

Rascal737 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Oliver
    Abbotsford, BC
    Vehicle:
    09 Silver DCLB TRD Sport 4X4
    Python 574 Remote start/Security system, reusable cabin air filter, led map and dome lights, led bed lights, switchback dtrl's, aftermarket dual halo projector headlights retrofitted with TRS goodies, foglights on anytime, Illuminated 4X4 switch, Redline hood struts and EZ down tailgate, Weathertech front and rear floor liners, Black Westin 4" oval step bars
    I just finished my projector retrofit with dual halo's into my aftermarket ebay headlights......I love it, but there's another group buy starting and I thought that maybe I should have waited and put another projector in where the high beam reflectors are??!!!

[​IMG]

Should I or they're fine the way they are?

Or a cheaper option would be to just put super white halogens into the high beams????

Can't decide

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  2. Aug 15, 2012 at 8:50 PM
    jblaze805

jblaze805 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ventura/Fresno, CA
    Vehicle:
    04 trd pre-runner
    2.5" king coilovers, caburg uca, magnaflow exhaust, aem intake
    my original ? : so you retrofitted projectors in some ebay housings, that already haad projectors in them? Because I know those are not stock housings. Either way looks good to me, just curious thats all.

3. Aug 15, 2012 at 8:51 PM
    jblaze805

Member:
    Ventura/Fresno, CA
    Vehicle:
    04 trd pre-runner
    I think a quadrofit would be pretty awesome never seen it done on a taco before.

4. Aug 15, 2012 at 8:52 PM
    Rascal737

Member:
    First Name:
    Oliver
    Abbotsford, BC
    Vehicle:
    Python 574 Remote start/Security system, reusable cabin air filter, led map and dome lights, led bed lights, switchback dtrl's, aftermarket dual halo projector headlights retrofitted with TRS goodies, foglights on anytime, Illuminated 4X4 switch, Redline hood struts and EZ down tailgate, Weathertech front and rear floor liners, Black Westin 4" oval step bars
    yeah...the projectors in them sucked the big one....so i had no choice, and i put the new morimoto XB led halo's into them

5. Aug 15, 2012 at 8:52 PM
    stunt man hans

stunt man hans DISPLACED VIKING LIVING IN WYOMING

Member:
    First Name:
    Hans
    LIVE FREE OR DIE
    Vehicle:
    2015 AEV RAM 3500
    FULL AEV PROSPECTOR KIT++
    its been done before :)

6. Aug 15, 2012 at 8:54 PM
    stunt man hans

Member:
    First Name:
    Hans
    LIVE FREE OR DIE
    Vehicle:
    2015 AEV RAM 3500
    looks great oliver nice work.

what projectors did you end up going with? and post up some cut off shots i have been lurking waiting to see these all completed :)

depending on what harness you went with if i where you and these lights are all sealed up and lined up perfectly i would throw a set of varna halogen bulbs in there they are way bright! and cheap to boot or a set of silver stars either way its going to rock man.

something to keep an eye on though is if your projectors are bi-xenon and pulling 35 or 55 watts depending on your ballast if you then add another set of projectors and even worse halogen bulbs you will be drawing a significant amount of more power to run your high beams if you follow me. if you go either route keep an eye on your harness for a while to make sure your not going to be cooking anything.

7. Aug 15, 2012 at 8:56 PM
    jblaze805

Member:
    Ventura/Fresno, CA
    Vehicle:
    04 trd pre-runner
    nice! definitely want to see a write up

PICTURES!!! ;)

8. Aug 15, 2012 at 8:59 PM
    Rascal737

Member:
    First Name:
    Oliver
    Abbotsford, BC
    Vehicle:

I'm in the process of putting the pictures together and doing the write-up....I actually don't have a picture of the cut-off with it installed in the truck (I still have to adjust to the proper height, having a tough time finding a flat area with a wall that with give me 25')

9. Aug 15, 2012 at 9:01 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    Super bright halogens.

I'm assuming that you have both low and high beams on the projectors, so at least you won't go dark when you hit the high beams, but "flashing" HID burners dramatically shortens their life, so every time you flash your brights it'll shave hours off of your high beams....
    Plus the warm-up time, they'll never get up to temp on a short flash.

Dual projectors would look killer, but they just aren't practical.

As a side note, if your projectors are not bi-xenon or if the housing wiring doesn't support the high beam solenoid, I strongly suggest that you perform a "4-High" mod to the wiring to prevent the lows from shutting off when you hit the high beams... for the same reason.
    Shutting them off and back on without giving them 5-15 minutes to cool is bad for them as well.

And subbed for the installation write-up!

10. Aug 15, 2012 at 9:04 PM
    benbacher

benbacher Purveyor of Fun Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    ^
    Anchorage, AK
    Vehicle:
    '10 Tacoma 4x4 LBDC SR5 TRD Sport
    Too many to list now.
    Why is that impractical? It's more light! Always welcomed.

11. Aug 15, 2012 at 9:08 PM
    Rich91710

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    I explained why it's impractical.

It's more light, which is good, but you have to avoid "flashing" your high beams... it'll destroy the HID units, and they won't come up to temp quickly enough for the "flash" to be effective.

12. Aug 15, 2012 at 10:00 PM
    Rascal737

Member:
    First Name:
    Oliver
    Abbotsford, BC
    Vehicle:
    The projectors are the bi-xenon and are wired so that the projectors are still on when I hit the high beams....projector solenoids are wired to my high beams, and i have a diode in there so that the ballasts are still powered in high beam mode....thanks to Andrew @ TRS for that. I didn't have them wired correctly at first and only noticed when I when to test out the high beams a couple of days later. I found out that it was pitch dark when I went back to low

Thanks for the info and input Rich....and if I can save and not put them into lights....maybe I can save for a bit longer and put them into a decent lift kit.....sooooo many options and mods to do!

13. Aug 15, 2012 at 10:04 PM
    Rascal737

Member:
    First Name:
    Oliver
    Abbotsford, BC
    Vehicle:
    I went with the Morimoto Mini H1 kit....35 watt ballasts and 5000k bulbs.

never heard of "Verna" halogen bulbs....I know of the silver stars thou, I'll look into those

Thanks Hans

14. Aug 15, 2012 at 10:31 PM
    stunt man hans

Member:
    First Name:
    Hans
    LIVE FREE OR DIE
    Vehicle:
    2015 AEV RAM 3500
    no problem dude :)

sorry for the typo iirc the halogen bulbs are called varna i know a guy who's running them in his stock housings they where considerably brighter than the factory bulbs i don't know how they would stack up to a silver star though. i would imagine they would be pretty close though.

if you rocking the H1's already adding another set is kind of overkill lol. i have seen a few quad setups and they are neat but, you drawing way more power for more light than you really need.

15. Aug 16, 2012 at 9:04 AM
    AsianAnts

AsianAnts just an AnT

Member:
    First Name:
    AnT
    Southern California (San Diego County)
    Vehicle:
    2011 PreRunner TRD Sport L/B Grey Metallic
    -Satoshi Grille Upper/Lower/Triangles -LED Map Lights, LED Dome Light, LED License Plate Lights -No front license -Wet Okole -Weather Techs (digi) -Running Boards -Bed Extender -AFE Cold Air Intake 2SI Dry Filter -Tailgate Hose-Clamp Mod, Tailgate washer Mod -Combi chain lock on bed extender -no chime w/ key in ignition & open door -Fog Light anytime -Slim Cubby's 3kHID fog -bumper plugs -keyhole plug -TRD license plate frame -combi-lock storage -rear TSB -window tint -camera mod -Painted radiator/engine covers -LS460 RetroFit -Bed Tie-Downs -LED Gauge Cluster, radio, clock and AC -Bed Mat -Extra DRings -Painted center console, radio unit, ac panel, overhead console.
    i believe TRS has wires so you can do quad setups. all projectors being bi-xenon.... all projectors on at low beam.. and all projectors solenoid move for high beams. ... just wiring game... no bulb flickering off n on when switching between low and high... simply the solenoid moving the shield...

16. Aug 16, 2012 at 10:14 AM
    Rascal737

Member:
    First Name:
    Oliver
    Abbotsford, BC
    Vehicle:
    I don't know if my bulb flickers when switching from low to high....I did't even think about that, I just assumed that the way I have it set-up it would be good.

I guess there would be a split second interruption when switching to high beams....how would you compensate for that??

I have it so I have both low and high beams go to the input connector, but I have a diode in the high beam wiring.

17. Aug 16, 2012 at 10:20 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    If it's Boyd (XXXX), I believe they're Narva brand and you need to find a place so you can get the overseas version.

18. Aug 16, 2012 at 11:36 AM
    Rascal737

Member:
    First Name:
    Oliver
    Abbotsford, BC
    Vehicle:
  19. Aug 16, 2012 at 6:27 PM
    Rich91710

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Was thinking about you today.

I work in Burbank and see a lot of high-end cars around Warner and NBC.

BMW seems to have the only quad-projector system that I saw. Mercedes and others run projectors on the outside, with reflectors and halogens like yours.

20. Aug 17, 2012 at 1:28 AM
    Rascal737

Member:
    First Name:
    Oliver
    Abbotsford, BC
    Vehicle:
    Thanks....I'm starting to like the way they look with the reflectors....like my buddy said today, "it's got the classy, but sporty look"

Products Discussed in

To Top