Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

LaminX installed on tail lights

Old 08-22-2012, 01:29 PM   #1
JeanClaude is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeanClaude is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeanClaude is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeanClaude is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeanClaude is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeanClaude is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeanClaude is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeanClaude is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeanClaude is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeanClaude is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeanClaude is one of the sharper tools in the shed
JeanClaude's Tacoma Gallery
LaminX installed on tail lights

Really surprised I have not seen more folks with LaminX film. I may install yellow fogs soon.

I've done enough of these that I decided to finally install it on my own truck.
I like the look. It settles down the OEM tail lights.

The pictures make the film look dark but it's much lighter than it looks, in real life.

Old 08-22-2012, 01:36 PM   #2
GA_TACO4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGA_TACO4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGA_TACO4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGA_TACO4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGA_TACO4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGA_TACO4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGA_TACO4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGA_TACO4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGA_TACO4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGA_TACO4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGA_TACO4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

GA_TACO4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Looks good! A lot cleaner than spray on tint. How's the light output?
Old 08-22-2012, 01:42 PM   #3
JeanClaude is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeanClaude is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeanClaude is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeanClaude is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeanClaude is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeanClaude is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeanClaude is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeanClaude is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeanClaude is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeanClaude is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeanClaude is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by GA_TACO4x4 View Post
Looks good! A lot cleaner than spray on tint. How's the light output?
I've done a spray on tint with my old m3 and I was not a huge fan of it. Not because it can not be done well and look good. But the hassle involved in making it look good was substantial and it was permanent short of a ton of time to remove/fix it. On top of that, finding that perfect tint % could be difficult to acquire.

I love the look and light output. I may go on and install it on my headlights and yellow on the fogs.

Though, because I do clear bra for my business, installing laminX is a breeze for me. I use 18" material, not kits. So I wrap the edges pretty nicely.
Old 08-23-2012, 06:18 AM   #4
Woods & Water Edition
REDTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedREDTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedREDTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedREDTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedREDTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedREDTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedREDTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedREDTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedREDTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedREDTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedREDTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Anthony
REDTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Looks real good better than the spray on I think
Old 08-23-2012, 06:21 AM   #5
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Lieutenant
DeeKay21's Tacoma Gallery
That looks great!! I didnt even think about Lamin-X when I sprayed mine with Nite Shade a few years ago. I really like how mine came out though cause it was a light grey tint instead of some of the dark stuff you see on other vehicles. Your right though, its super shaddy spraying on tint spray on your tails.
Old 08-23-2012, 06:22 AM   #6
GA_TACO4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGA_TACO4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGA_TACO4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGA_TACO4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGA_TACO4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGA_TACO4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGA_TACO4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGA_TACO4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGA_TACO4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGA_TACO4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGA_TACO4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

GA_TACO4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanClaude View Post
I've done a spray on tint with my old m3 and I was not a huge fan of it. Not because it can not be done well and look good. But the hassle involved in making it look good was substantial and it was permanent short of a ton of time to remove/fix it. On top of that, finding that perfect tint % could be difficult to acquire.

I love the look and light output. I may go on and install it on my headlights and yellow on the fogs.

Though, because I do clear bra for my business, installing laminX is a breeze for me. I use 18" material, not kits. So I wrap the edges pretty nicely.
Mine were tinted with spray on. I hated it so I sanded it all off. Talk about a PITA. I looked on lamin-x's site and it had several different shades listed. Which one did you use?
Old 08-23-2012, 11:19 AM   #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by GA_TACO4x4 View Post
Mine were tinted with spray on. I hated it so I sanded it all off. Talk about a PITA. I looked on lamin-x's site and it had several different shades listed. Which one did you use?
Gunsmoke
Old 08-23-2012, 03:12 PM   #9
Techno Duck is on a distinguished road
Name: Jon
Techno Duck's Tacoma Gallery
Yellow fogs..

Old 08-23-2012, 03:15 PM   #10
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Looks good Jon! I've always been a fan of yellow fogs on Tacomas. Some people hate it thought for some reason.
Old 08-23-2012, 03:29 PM   #11
Techno Duck is on a distinguished road
Name: Jon
Techno Duck's Tacoma Gallery
The pre-cut film for the Tacoma from Lamin-X is a bit of a pain to work with. The Tacoma fogs have a very concave lens, this with the Lamin-X precut film being cut basically the exact size of the lens makes it not very forgiving with the alignment. I would possibly consider ordering a bulk sheet, like a 1x1 (or whatever sizes they offer) as this would give you more room to work with, then use a razor to trim the excess off. Just remember, work from the center out and go slowly. There is a good video on the Lamin-x site that shows installing on a circular fog lens which is helpful, though the lens they use is basically flat, so you just gotta go with it.

I have some experience using the Lamin-x for my other car and found this one more annoying than challenging. I took the fogs out and had them mounted right side up in a bench vice to make it easier to work with. Still my drivers side has a small edge that is peeling up . I am pretty anal about 'the details' so it bothers me, but its not even noticeable unless staring right at the fog light head on.

Wish i had known this, but the guy who tinted my windows installs Lamin-x also.. next time i will know not to waste my time and let a pro do it!

I am a big fan of yellow fogs, not sure why. . I put Lamin-x on my other cars fog / driving lights also.. everyone knows the car by the lights alone.

Old 08-23-2012, 03:32 PM   #12
Lieutenant Dan.

X2. ^^^ I also bought the pre-cut ones and it took me a few tries to get them centered on the fog light but it wasnt a huge PITA.
Old 08-23-2012, 08:00 PM   #13
Not trying to sound like a douche or anything, but there is good reason the guys that install the films charge for it. It takes experience to get quality results.

I know that LaminX sells the kits but they are still not easy to install.
Old 10-18-2012, 09:54 PM   #14
skeeet is just really niceskeeet is just really niceskeeet is just really niceskeeet is just really nice

Name: Pete
skeeet's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanClaude View Post
Not trying to sound like a douche or anything, but there is good reason the guys that install the films charge for it. It takes experience to get quality results.

I know that LaminX sells the kits but they are still not easy to install.
Its actually pretty. Just takes patience. Giving tinting a try for the first time.
Old 10-20-2012, 04:46 PM   #15
Woods & Water Edition
REDTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedREDTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedREDTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedREDTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedREDTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedREDTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedREDTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedREDTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedREDTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedREDTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedREDTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Anthony
REDTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeet View Post
Its actually pretty. Just takes patience. Giving tinting a try for the first time.
Dang that all red looks great is it laminx film also?
Old 10-20-2012, 11:37 PM   #16
skeeet is just really niceskeeet is just really niceskeeet is just really niceskeeet is just really nice

Name: Pete
skeeet's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by REDTRD View Post
Dang that all red looks great is it laminx film also?
No i bought the tints on ebay from rvinyl. Pretty good material and for only 8 bucks!