1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Emergency Lights on POV for Volunteer Firefighters

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Negley2012, Aug 25, 2012.

1. Aug 25, 2012 at 7:31 PM
    Negley2012

Negley2012 [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jayce
    Southeastern Colorado
    Vehicle:
    11, Regular Cab, Base, 4x4, 5-speed
    ArmorTech Hybrid front bumper, BHLM, K&N cold-air intake, tinted windows, Bilstein 5100 coil-overs up front, BAKflip FiberMax Tonneau, with TSB leafs, Undercover strobs 90w (head and reverse lights), Voly 100w Siren.
    I noticed there's a few firemen on here so I figured I'd ask a question. Is it legal to run blue strobes on a personally owned vehicle in the state of Colorado? I'm thinking about getting some for my truck, but I wasn't sure what the laws were. I do know you are required to get a permit from the Chief.

2. Sep 4, 2012 at 10:15 AM
    iroc409

iroc409 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Washington
    Vehicle:
    A red one
    You're probably best off to ask the Chief at your station what your options are. There are so many local and state rules, that unless there's someone on here from your area it will be hard to tell.

3. Sep 4, 2012 at 10:06 PM
    Glocker23

Glocker23 Drive fast take chances

Member:
    CT
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB Sport
    Debadged, Tonneau cover, Grillcraft MX grill, OKLED 20" light bar in grill, Aero AT2525 muffler
    Def contact local fd or local pd. Blue red green white are colors that are dedicated for emergency uses. Good luck

4. Sep 4, 2012 at 10:21 PM
    BAMFTACO

BAMFTACO Another day another beer

Member:
    First Name:
    Juan
    Woodlandland hills , CA
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tacoma AC Prerunner
    Kings bruh
  5. Sep 4, 2012 at 10:33 PM
    badphish14

badphish14 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Long Island
    Vehicle:
    '12 TRD OFF ROAD
    New york we only legally allowed one blue light in the dash but i've never heard of a cop busting balls. chiefs maybe, but never ticketed or anything.

6. Sep 4, 2012 at 10:40 PM
    Glocker23

Member:
    CT
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB Sport
    Debadged, Tonneau cover, Grillcraft MX grill, OKLED 20" light bar in grill, Aero AT2525 muffler
    If u r not in services I know my cops have ticketed for that in ct. Don't drive with them on and you will be good

7. Sep 4, 2012 at 10:57 PM
    ouyin2000

ouyin2000 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Nova Scotia
    Vehicle:
    '11 DCSB TRD Sport
    Leer 100XL Canopy, OEM Side steps, TRD Oil Cap, TRD License Plate Cover, WeatherTech Digital Fit Liners, Elite O/R Hitch Shackle, Katzkin Leather Interior, LED Interior Lighting, Foglight Anytime mod, Illuminated 4x4 switch, Grom Audio Aux adapter, Redline Goods leather shift boot console cover and door handle pulls, Sockmonkey bedside decals, Dynolock electric tailgate lock
    Keep in mind that a flashing light still doesn't make you immune to the law. My buddy was a volunteer fire fighter, and he was allowed to run 1 blue light. And only use it when responding to a call and he needed to get to the fire station in a hurry. He still had to obey the posted speed limit as well as stop lights/signs. It's more of a courtesy that people let you by than an obligation.

8. Sep 4, 2012 at 11:10 PM
    Glocker23

Member:
    CT
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB Sport
    Exactly. And if they don't pull over and u pass its your ass. There is nothing saying they have to pull over. Only an actual emergency vehicle can you get someone cited for failing to yield to emergency vehicles

9. Sep 24, 2012 at 8:15 PM
    08FireRescueTaco

08FireRescueTaco 08Blue_Beast

Member:
    First Name:
    Hunter
    Roanoke
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma Manual 6spd
    2008 off road 6spd manual Procomp stg 1 6in lift Allpro hd expo leaf pack 16in fuel boost wheels 315/75r16 motto trail grapples Flomaster duel 40s exhaust Doug Thorley LTH Volant CAI Relentlessfab front bumper Fox 2.0 coilovers Prinsu designs roof rack Sport hood Urd short shifter Nfab side steps Bushwacker flares
    Ask an officer. I'm in va and we are allowed to run red or red/white but on one bar and red only in the rear window

10. Sep 24, 2012 at 8:18 PM
    MMazz365

MMazz365 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    NY
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road
    -flowmaster dual side exit exhaust -3 inch lift -cb radio -scanner -DTRL's -Fogs Anytime -Truxedo Soft Tonnahu Cover -eyelids -grillcraft upper and lower -fogs behind the grill
    In NY i run blue for FD and green for ems.... legally were not allowed any red or white, but we do put strobes in headlights/taillights etc.... I also have red and white lights in my rear for when on the side of the road at MVA's. I've heard of people in my dept going to other states with like older strobe lights with the colored covers, and the police there would make them cover it with something because the police run different colors in every state. Just like others said, ask your chief or a police officer

11. Sep 27, 2012 at 5:32 PM
    aw10tacoma

aw10tacoma backyard mechanic

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Northern New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    2011 AC Mgm
    -HomerTaco Grille -Aftermarket Headlights Halo Projectors -rear doors now have pioneer speakers -Kenwood DNX690HD -LED speedo gauge swap and faceplate along with painted needles - auto start and alarm from compustar -TRD painted on grille -Strobe lights in reverse lights -All bulbs are led -XD rims -arb bumper -S.O.S. Concept SLIDERS -OME 3inch suspension lift nitrocharger sport shocks dakar leafs -light racing ucas -toughtlight 22''dual led bar behind my homertaco grille -wet okale seat covers -trailer lights connection moved into bumper -tints -trd cold air intake -trd catback exhuast -total chaos lca skids -Budbuilt Skids -DT Long tubes -URD MAF SENSOR
    im from nj and ive got a blue light on the dash and then stobes in the head lights and tail the strobes look great in the head lights

12. Sep 28, 2012 at 6:58 PM
    Negley2012

Member:
    First Name:
    Jayce
    Southeastern Colorado
    Vehicle:
    ArmorTech Hybrid front bumper, BHLM, K&N cold-air intake, tinted windows, Bilstein 5100 coil-overs up front, BAKflip FiberMax Tonneau, with TSB leafs, Undercover strobs 90w (head and reverse lights), Voly 100w Siren.
    Thanks guys, sorry but I haven't had time to check up on this thread in a while.

I'm gonna talk with my chief this weekend when I see him at the station. From what I've heard from a few firemen (not in my dept) is that red and clear strobes, and wigwags are allowed for VF in Colorado. Nothing visible from the rear though. However I'm not entirely sure if this is correct.

Another question, anyone have lights on there Taco's? Pictures would be great. Still trying to decide if I wanna spend the cash on a setup for my truck or not :cool:

13. Sep 28, 2012 at 7:01 PM
    650H1

650H1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2020 (Cement) TRD O/R
    no need for it IMO. at least here, you still cant speed/drive like an asshole, though most do anyways. no point in killing yourself just to get to ride shotty in the engine.

14. Sep 28, 2012 at 7:07 PM
    Forster46

Forster46 Very nice how much?

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Mount Vernon, WA
    Vehicle:
    The doritos locos taco
    6000k HID's, AUX Reverse Lights, 3" Rough Country Suspension Lift, Pioneer AVH-P4200 Double Din, Underglow and footwell Lights, Camo Seat Covers, Duralast Tool Box, Blacked Out Badges, Grill, Front Emblem, Midland CB Radio, Amber Strobes, POWER REAR WINDOW, cup holder LED's, Firestik 3' in bed, console divider, Ultragauge.
    I have a single green light on mine. All I get. Pretty ghey, but hey not like I get to haul ass anyway. Just tells people to get out of my way PLEASE.

15. Oct 20, 2012 at 10:54 PM
    CLynch

CLynch Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Charlie
    Upstate New York
    None
    It is one light viable 360 degrees. One light means one bulb. I fought this and lost. Chef helped me out.

16. Oct 20, 2012 at 11:01 PM
    jtav2002

jtav2002 Kenny Fuckin Powers

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Reading, PA
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra DBL Cab TRD OR
    As previously suggested, if you haven't already just ask your chief.

Here in PA you can have blue lights for non officer level FF's but they're really just "courtesy lights" and people aren't legally required to pull over for them. Personally I do because I know they need to get to the station. They seem to confuse people more than anything here though you'll see a FF running blues pull up to a red light knowing he can't actually proceed and motorists at the green will stop not knowing the FF can't actually procede. Most FF's I know just shut them down at traffic lights to avoid said confusion and I know at our local department the chief decided not to actually even let our volly's run them anymore. Definitely seems to hugely vary state to state I know some people in other states who are just normal non-line officer FF's and are allowed to run red lights and sirens.

And this is just from what I know from my buddy's who are FF's. Not actually one myself. So take what I say with a grain of salt haha.

17. Dec 13, 2013 at 6:33 PM
    Negley2012

Member:
    First Name:
    Jayce
    Southeastern Colorado
    Vehicle:
    So I've had my strobes installed for a while now. Turns out the rules depend on your department. But even if you chief ok's it you have to file for a permit with the Colorado Department of Revenue if you want to run lights. To my understanding you're vehicle must also be outfitted with an audible warning device (siren) if you want to use your lights. Also you lights have to be visible at 360D and only red/clear for Vol. FD in Colorado.

Products Discussed in

To Top