1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Hella ff 1000

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Ray M, Aug 27, 2012.

1. Aug 27, 2012 at 5:42 PM
    Ray M

Ray M [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ray
    Phillipsburg,NJ
    Vehicle:
    03 ext cab sr5
    Scion stereo mod map light mod Dc running boards cb mod footwell led's
    Hey everyone, I was digging around my basement and found myself a set of ff 1000's from Hella. I was thinking about putting these behind the grill on my 2003 Tacoma. What are the general opinion of these lights . From what I have read they are not the best. But they are brand new in the box .I don't know if it makes a difference but these lights are between 10/ 15 years old . Let me know what you think. Thanks Ray.

2. Aug 29, 2012 at 8:20 PM
    joes06tacoma

joes06tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Off Road Access Cab v6 6spd
    LEER Shell with dome lights operated with 3 way switches, aux backup lights with relay and 3 position switch, modified wiring to compass/temp display and clock to include switch that disables dimming function (poor man's DRL solution), Scan Gauge 2
    Well, since nobody else has chimed in yet, I will bump this to the top for ya!

I can't comment on that particular model of Hella lights, but I have owned a couple sets of Hella 500s, and I have had a couple trucks with Hella conversion headlights. Everything I have owned has been a very good "bang for the buck".

I would expect that you would see a decent amount of light out of them that will supplement your high beams. Don't expect them to project out significantly further than the high beams though.

3. Sep 3, 2012 at 10:50 AM
    Ray M

Ray M [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ray
    Phillipsburg,NJ
    Vehicle:
    03 ext cab sr5
    Thanks for the reply , Would it be advisable to change the bulbs to a 100 watt bulb. And would there be any chance of melting the housing or damaging the lens. Thanks, Ray.

4. Sep 3, 2012 at 11:13 AM
    joes06tacoma

joes06tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Off Road Access Cab v6 6spd
    LEER Shell with dome lights operated with 3 way switches, aux backup lights with relay and 3 position switch, modified wiring to compass/temp display and clock to include switch that disables dimming function (poor man's DRL solution), Scan Gauge 2
    I changed one set of 500s over to 100watt bulbs. I was worried about the excess heat, and it didn't seem to make much difference in output, either. So I changed them back. I don't know if the heat would have been a problem long term. As long as they have glass lenses and metal reflectors, it's probably okay, but not sure.

5. Sep 4, 2012 at 8:49 AM
    Ray M

Ray M [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ray
    Phillipsburg,NJ
    Vehicle:
    03 ext cab sr5
    Ok Thanks for the help, Ray

Products Discussed in