1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Finished projector retro, but now I don't have High beams?

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by ZMan2k2, Sep 1, 2012.

1. Sep 1, 2012 at 7:55 PM
    ZMan2k2

ZMan2k2 [OP] “Hold my beer and watch this!”

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    ‘Berta
    Vehicle:
    06 Rad Red DCLB SR5
    Got them aimed. Holy bright Batman! Awesome.

New problem though. High beam indicator is on with hi or low beams, and light output doesn't change when activating high beams. I'm thinking the relay is bad. I tried the troubleshooting on the trs website, and it says to reverse the blue and white wires. Doing that blows the low beam fuse, so that's not right. Can I get anyone in agreement, or am I missing something?

2. Sep 2, 2012 at 12:24 AM
    AsianAnts

AsianAnts just an AnT

Member:
    First Name:
    AnT
    Southern California (San Diego County)
    Vehicle:
    2011 PreRunner TRD Sport L/B Grey Metallic
    -Satoshi Grille Upper/Lower/Triangles -LED Map Lights, LED Dome Light, LED License Plate Lights -No front license -Wet Okole -Weather Techs (digi) -Running Boards -Bed Extender -AFE Cold Air Intake 2SI Dry Filter -Tailgate Hose-Clamp Mod, Tailgate washer Mod -Combi chain lock on bed extender -no chime w/ key in ignition & open door -Fog Light anytime -Slim Cubby's 3kHID fog -bumper plugs -keyhole plug -TRD license plate frame -combi-lock storage -rear TSB -window tint -camera mod -Painted radiator/engine covers -LS460 RetroFit -Bed Tie-Downs -LED Gauge Cluster, radio, clock and AC -Bed Mat -Extra DRings -Painted center console, radio unit, ac panel, overhead console.
    good job getting it done.. i just got home.. sorry i couldnt help ya out earlier :)

3. Sep 2, 2012 at 12:33 AM
    AsianAnts

AsianAnts just an AnT

Member:
    First Name:
    AnT
    Vehicle:
    -Satoshi Grille Upper/Lower/Triangles -LED Map Lights, LED Dome Light, LED License Plate Lights -No front license -Wet Okole -Weather Techs (digi) -Running Boards -Bed Extender -AFE Cold Air Intake 2SI Dry Filter -Tailgate Hose-Clamp Mod, Tailgate washer Mod -Combi chain lock on bed extender -no chime w/ key in ignition & open door -Fog Light anytime -Slim Cubby's 3kHID fog -bumper plugs -keyhole plug -TRD license plate frame -combi-lock storage -rear TSB -window tint -camera mod -Painted radiator/engine covers -LS460 RetroFit -Bed Tie-Downs -LED Gauge Cluster, radio, clock and AC -Bed Mat -Extra DRings -Painted center console, radio unit, ac panel, overhead console.
    try swapping your high beam wire with the low

4. Sep 2, 2012 at 8:47 AM
    ZMan2k2

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    ‘Berta
    Vehicle:
    06 Rad Red DCLB SR5
    No change. I used this diagram
    images_11819b29e257339e904b077d201e75f78032ab86.jpg
    and swapped the middle and right connections. No change. High indicator is still on, and I don't get high beams. Any other suggestions?

5. Sep 2, 2012 at 9:33 AM
    AsianAnts

AsianAnts just an AnT

Member:
    First Name:
    AnT
    Vehicle:
    usually, for me, the fix is swapping the plug of the harness... i dont mess with the relay....

6. Sep 2, 2012 at 10:02 AM
    ZMan2k2

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    ‘Berta
    Vehicle:
    06 Rad Red DCLB SR5
    I didn't mess with the relay at all. I used that pic to tell me which is the high and low beam +. I swapped the two, and still have the same issue. No high beam, and the high indicator is on on the dash. I think I got a bad relay with the wiring. I hear the truck relay click when I switch the highs on, but there is no reaction from my HID's. I think the HID relay is bad. I'll contact TRS, and see what they say.

7. Sep 6, 2012 at 2:48 PM
    ZMan2k2

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    ‘Berta
    Vehicle:
    06 Rad Red DCLB SR5
    Just to keep this thread updated, I called Andrew today at TRS. I'd been emailing since Monday, but finally had a chance to call. Anyways, it seems my harness is buggered. I fixed the high-indicator thing, so now it comes on with highs only, but when I use highs, the fuse pops. So there's a short somewhere. Andrew helped diagnose this, and is sending a new harness, and a return label to see where my harness went wrong. Oh, and a new sticker, as the one I got was wrecked on receipt. :taco: :thumbsup: to TRS!

8. Sep 20, 2012 at 6:00 PM
    ZMan2k2

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    ‘Berta
    Vehicle:
    06 Rad Red DCLB SR5
    TRS FTW! Andrew and Nate sent me a new harness and relay, took a little over a week, not bad from Atlanta to Canada. Installed the new harness, powered it up, and BAM! Works as advertised. Bright as all get out, and rocks the look of the truck. Thanks TRS! :thumbsup::taco:

9. Dec 8, 2012 at 5:38 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    Update: Andrew never responded to my PM, but I finally got around to installing the projectors I bought on Round-9 and the only problems that I had were related to grounding issues.
    I really wish these harnesses were wired with a single ground for the ballasts, back at the control/relay box, rather than at each ballast.

Products Discussed in

To Top