Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

Mini H1 retrofit

Old 09-04-2012, 10:23 AM   #1
Woods & Water Edition
REDTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedREDTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedREDTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedREDTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedREDTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedREDTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedREDTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedREDTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedREDTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedREDTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedREDTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Anthony
REDTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Mini H1 retrofit

I just got my whole setup to do the mini H1 retro, I even bought a second set of headlights to give my self plenty of time to do it. My question is has anyone done a write up on the mini H1 for second gen headlights yet? I've searched and best I could find was one for 1st gen. I know they are plenty for the FX-R and D2S. My plan is to start tonight on it and finish by the weekend. So far only thing I haven't figured out is what order the "4" washers they sent go in. Hopefully I can post pics as I go (atleast that's my plan) Thanks for any help!

Will be updating with pics thru the whole process!

This is what I'm working with as far as the kit from www.theretrofitsource.com
1 x Bi-xenon Morimoto Mini Stage III Kit (H1) (MiniH1III)
Re-sealing Glue Yes please
Wire Harness Relay: H4/9003
Shrouds 1) Mini Gatling Gun (standard model)
Ballasts Morimoto 3Five (35w)
Halos No Thanks
Projectors LHD (North American Standard)
Bulbs H1: Morimoto 3Five 5000K

Old 09-04-2012, 10:29 AM   #2
When you blow off steam you get an eyepatch
YFZ450MOE is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ450MOE is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ450MOE is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ450MOE is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ450MOE is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ450MOE is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ450MOE is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ450MOE is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ450MOE is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ450MOE is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ450MOE is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Machinery Technician
Name: Moe
YFZ450MOE's Tacoma Gallery
I see this thread didn't take to long to pop up after you got your retros in! Good luck, Mine should be here thursday
Old 09-04-2012, 10:35 AM   #3
Rascal737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRascal737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRascal737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRascal737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRascal737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRascal737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRascal737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRascal737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRascal737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRascal737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRascal737 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Oliver
Rascal737's Tacoma Gallery
Anthony,

if you go to the TRS website, under the resources tab, there are a bunch of pdf's on the H1 install and hardware stack-up...check there.

Here's the link: http://www.theretrofitsource.com/trs_tech.php

Good luck
Old 09-04-2012, 10:37 AM   #5
Woods & Water Edition
REDTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedREDTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedREDTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedREDTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedREDTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedREDTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedREDTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedREDTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedREDTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedREDTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedREDTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

REDTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by YFZ450MOE View Post
I see this thread didn't take to long to pop up after you got your retros in! Good luck, Mine should be here thursday
lol I know I've got everything sitting here in my office at work right trying to put it all together in my head. I've got all kinds of shit printed out to try make myself some kind of walk thru process. You will love the quality of the kit though man TRS out did themselves.
Old 09-04-2012, 10:46 AM   #7
Woods & Water Edition

REDTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Oliver thanks for that link bud! I found the hardware guide on there http://www.theretrofitsource.com/pdf..._Guide_1-2.pdf
on step 4. I'm only gonna be using the adapter plate for the H4 not the H7 correct? Even though they sent both.
4.Adapter plate (5=H4, 4=H7) is installed onto projector from the back side
of the headlight.
Old 09-04-2012, 10:50 AM   #8
Rascal737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRascal737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRascal737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRascal737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRascal737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRascal737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRascal737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRascal737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRascal737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRascal737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRascal737 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDTRD View Post
Oliver thanks for that link bud! I found the hardware guide on there http://www.theretrofitsource.com/pdf..._Guide_1-2.pdf
on step 4. I'm only gonna be using the adapter plate for the H4 not the H7 correct? Even though they sent both.
4.Adapter plate (5=H4, 4=H7) is installed onto projector from the back side
of the headlight.
Yeah, that's correct, H4. Just remember to do your horizontal alignment before you permanently lock everything in place and put the front lens on.

The H1 is pretty easy to work with...you can do it!
Old 09-04-2012, 10:56 AM   #10
Woods & Water Edition

REDTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Cody that is the thread I've been looking for! I read yours earlier and yours helped explain alot to even though it was for a 1st gen (btw looks great) for some reason I couldn't find that thread again when I needed it. Also thanks again Oliver for the quick help! I think I'm just thinking this is gonna be harder than it really is lol I guess that's why I bought a second set of lights in case I screwed it up!
Old 09-04-2012, 11:09 AM   #11
Pineapples on pizza Hawaiian does not it make.
Konaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cody
Konaborne's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Cody that is the thread I've been looking for! I read yours earlier and yours helped explain alot to even though it was for a 1st gen (btw looks great) for some reason I couldn't find that thread again when I needed it. Also thanks again Oliver for the quick help! I think I'm just thinking this is gonna be harder than it really is lol I guess that's why I bought a second set of lights in case I screwed it up!
Don't worry. I have the mechanical skills of a quadriplegic walrus, and I still got mine done in a few hours

and I used my only set of assemblies
Old 09-04-2012, 11:16 AM   #12
Woods & Water Edition

REDTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konaborne View Post
Don't worry. I have the mechanical skills of a quadriplegic walrus, and I still got mine done in a few hours

and I used my only set of assemblies
HAHA! Well I'm ranked right up there pretty close to one of those myself
Old 09-04-2012, 12:29 PM   #13

Cody's right, it's pretty simple...once you have your headlight assy apart, it's straight forward from then on...it'll take longer if your painting the housing and shroud, but other than that, it's easy peasy.
Old 09-04-2012, 12:38 PM   #14
Woods & Water Edition

REDTRD's Tacoma Gallery
The spare set I bought were already done painted black, so I'm gonna leave them and the reflector bowl alone. Only thing I'm gonna paint are the turn signal reflectors with some krylon staind glass yellow to match the fogs. So all in all it should be pretty painless retro! oh and which temp works best and for how long...lol I've read 255 265 300 5 min 10 min 12 min blah blah
Old 09-04-2012, 12:41 PM   #15

Quote:
The spare set I bought were already done painted black, so I'm gonna leave them and the reflector bowl alone. Only thing I'm gonna paint are the turn signal reflectors with some krylon staind glass yellow to match the fogs. So all in all it should be pretty painless retro! oh and which temp works best and for how long...lol I've read 255 265 300 5 min 10 min 12 min blah blah
I pre heated the oven to 300 F, turned it off and then put the headlights in (lens up) on cardboard for 10 mins....I kept a close eye on it (for the first one) to make sure it didn't start to melt anything. I would do the same since it's not OEM ones your using.
Old 09-04-2012, 01:29 PM   #16
Woods & Water Edition

REDTRD's Tacoma Gallery
ok last question for the day lol is this just a extra connection or something?
Old 09-04-2012, 01:30 PM   #17
Tacolover443 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacolover443 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacolover443 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacolover443 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacolover443 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacolover443 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacolover443 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacolover443 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacolover443 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacolover443 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacolover443 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kyle
Tacolover443's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
That is the test lead.
Old 09-04-2012, 01:33 PM   #18

Quote:
like Kyle said...test lead

plug that into the balast and connect the other ends to 12V (obviously orange to + and black to -)
Old 09-04-2012, 01:38 PM   #19
Woods & Water Edition

REDTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Thank you both, man Oliver I'm gonna have to +++REP the hell outta you after this is done lol. Your freaking johnny on the spot with answers. I'll fedex you a 12 pack of your favorite beer!
Old 09-04-2012, 02:04 PM   #20

Quote:
Thank you both, man Oliver I'm gonna have to +++REP the hell outta you after this is done lol. Your freaking johnny on the spot with answers. I'll fedex you a 12 pack of your favorite beer!
hahaha...glad I could help! isn't this what these forums are for??!!