LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

Backlit Toyota Grill Logo Mod

Old 09-15-2012, 11:45 PM   #1
The Blue Warrior
ToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Shay
ToyotaKTMracing's Tacoma Gallery
Backlit Toyota Grill Logo Mod

I did this mod myself and came up with the idea so here is my write up on it. Sorry for the low quality photos. Especially the first and last one.

To do this mod, you will need some plexiglass, super glue, and a 12v 48 LED panel for a dome light: http://www.amazon.com/BestDealUSA-Wh...amazonquery-20
Make sure to test your light before doing this mod to make sure it works! (My wires were backwards on my panel. Red was negative and black was positive.)

1st step is to cut off the adapter at the end of the 2 wires from the LED panel and attach two connector to the wire like so:

After you have done that step, you can now move on to working with the plexiglass. To get the plexiglass part that goes behind the logo, you need to cut out a piece of plexiglass that will fit inside the grill to where it's laying on the back side of the logo so you can trace the back side of the logo where the plexiglass will connect to.

After you have it traced, you can now cut the logo shape out of the piece of plexiglass. NOTE: The logo shape DOES NOT have to be cut perfect. As long as it covers the holes with a little over hang.

After you have the shape cut out, you will need to sand both sides of the plexiglass so the light will spread. You can also use frosted plexiglass so you wouldn't have to sand the plexiglass.

Next you will need two 1"x3" and one 2 1/2"x4 1/2" piece of plexiglass. These will be used to make the whole "housing" of the light.

Now to bring in the super glue. Attach all the plexiglass pieces together like in the picture below. (Don't be afraid to use extra glue for extra bonding. I glued the pieces then went around the bases of the 1"x3" pieces.) The housing is used for this because it makes the light go wider so the whole light is more even.

Then you attach the whole housing to the back side of the logo. Best way is to put glue on the back side of the logo then attach the housing to it.

Once it has dried, you can hook up the light. (I connected mine to the battery and grounded the negative wire. Hooked up to a switch in the cab.) The panel comes with an adhesive backing, but I decided to add a little more bonding to it by putting super glue on the adhesive pad. Attatch light panel as center as you can with the logo to the inside of the 2 1/2"x4 1/2" piece of plexiglass. (Between the two wall pieces.) After everything is dried, you can now put the grill back on and admire your modified grill logo. It even lights up the radiator a little to add some extra light.

ANOTHER NOTE: I am NOT held responsible if this mod violates any of your local laws and you get in any kind of trouble for it. I am also NOT held responsible if you mess up or damage your truck in any way by doing this mod.
Old 09-15-2012, 11:58 PM   #2
ColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
ColtsTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Dude thats pretty creative! Nice job!
Old 09-16-2012, 12:01 AM   #3
The Blue Warrior
ToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColtsTRD View Post
Dude thats pretty creative! Nice job!
Thanks! I just hope the panel is weatherproof.
Old 09-16-2012, 12:03 AM   #4
ColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
ColtsTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyotaKTMracing View Post
Thanks! I just hope the panel is weatherproof.
haha
Old 09-16-2012, 12:12 AM   #5
The Blue Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColtsTRD View Post
haha
Yeah, I hope it is. If not, I'll need to fix that somehow.
Old 09-16-2012, 12:32 AM   #6
Very nice how much?
Forster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Firefighter/EMT
Name: Nick
Forster46's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to Forster46
Quote:
Make sure to test your light before doing this mod to make sure it works! (My wires were backwards on my panel. Red was negative and black was positive.)
Well I guess that explains the issue haha.

Nice job, it looks sweet.
Old 09-16-2012, 12:38 AM   #7
I feel so Devo
tinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tinker_troy's Tacoma Gallery
Old 09-16-2012, 06:04 AM   #8
the habs fan
bulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Joe
bulhas's Tacoma Gallery
hahaha thanks for an awesome idea for my wicked raptor grill
Old 09-16-2012, 07:00 AM   #9
The Blue Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forster46 View Post
Well I guess that explains the issue haha.

Nice job, it looks sweet.
Haha, yeah. Thanks though!
Old 09-16-2012, 07:25 AM   #10
The Blue Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulhas View Post
hahaha thanks for an awesome idea for my wicked raptor grill
That's what I was hoping people would do. Do this mod or make ideas of their own. If you make something for your grill, post it!
Old 09-16-2012, 07:27 AM   #11
the habs fan
bulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Joe
bulhas's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
That's what I was hoping people would do. Do this mod or make ideas of their own. If you make something for your grill, post it!
honestly i've had the idea for quite some time, mine just has a TON more lumens lol
Old 09-16-2012, 07:31 AM   #12
The Blue Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulhas View Post
honestly i've had the idea for quite some time, mine just has a TON more lumens lol
Oh, I see. lol
Old 09-16-2012, 11:36 AM   #15
Bah Humshit!
brian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Work and Fly on the Four Fans of Freedom
brian's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to brian
Creative idea, not my taste and you're probably gonna get pulled over, BUT If I could give you a suggestion (since you don't have pics of the LED installed), I'd make sure you have an LED with a radial pattern if you're sticking it from the back side, or if you have a flood pattern, or spot pattern, stick it in on the edges of the plexi, that way it is not shining directly outward towards people coming down the road. Also, maybe beneficial to paint the back side of the plexiglass white, OR leave the protective backing on it, thus ensuring the light is bounced forward, and not back into your grill.

EDIT: I see your LED"s now, didn't load the first time, that is WAYYY too much light. To each his own but you're not going to make it past a cop with that color and intensity. Use your head man.
Old 09-16-2012, 02:55 PM   #16
The Blue Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian View Post
Creative idea, not my taste and you're probably gonna get pulled over, BUT If I could give you a suggestion (since you don't have pics of the LED installed), I'd make sure you have an LED with a radial pattern if you're sticking it from the back side, or if you have a flood pattern, or spot pattern, stick it in on the edges of the plexi, that way it is not shining directly outward towards people coming down the road. Also, maybe beneficial to paint the back side of the plexiglass white, OR leave the protective backing on it, thus ensuring the light is bounced forward, and not back into your grill.

EDIT: I see your LED"s now, didn't load the first time, that is WAYYY too much light. To each his own but you're not going to make it past a cop with that color and intensity. Use your head man.
It's white and our laws here you're allowed to have running lights no higher than the headlights. But it isn't really bright. Just looks like it because of the pic.
Old 09-16-2012, 02:58 PM   #17
yota04 is on a distinguished road
Name: Cory
yota04's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Yeah, I hope it is. If not, I'll need to fix that somehow.
Cover the board in silicon gel should help!
Old 09-16-2012, 04:41 PM   #18
Bah Humshit!
brian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Work and Fly on the Four Fans of Freedom
brian's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to brian
Quote:
It's white and our laws here you're allowed to have running lights no higher than the headlights. But it isn't really bright. Just looks like it because of the pic.

If you're running stock headlights, it will likely look blue against the warmer color of them. Just sayin. It is what it is. Where are you located?
Old 09-16-2012, 06:05 PM   #19
The Blue Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian View Post
If you're running stock headlights, it will likely look blue against the warmer color of them. Just sayin. It is what it is. Where are you located?
WV. I'm pretty sure that's the law unless it was changed.
Old 09-16-2012, 07:48 PM   #20
The Blue Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by yota04 View Post
Cover the board in silicon gel should help!
Thanks! I could try that. As long as I use something that doesn't mess up the light brightness or wide angle beams.