Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

Engine Bay LED Install

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-16-2012, 12:05 AM   #1
...and we're back!
Benson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ben
Benson X's Tacoma Gallery
Post Engine Bay LED Install

Here's my LED install for the engine bay. I wanted to illuminate the whole engine compartment and separately light up the winch area using one discreet switch.

PARTS USED:

(2) 12" Cool White Waterproof ribbons from Ozium.com (found HERE)
(1) 6" Cool White Waterproof ribbon from Ozium.com (found HERE)
(1) On-Off-On SPDT Rocker Switch (I used one exactly like THIS)
(1) Add-A-Fuse (I used one like THIS)

TOOLS NEEDED:

Wire-Strippers / Crimpers
Philips head screwdriver
Flathead screwdriver
10mm wrench -or- socket
12mm wrench -or- socket
Soldering Iron / Solder (optional)
Butt Connectors
14-16awg Wire (2-colors recommended)
(1) Quick-Splice connector
(1) 1/2" Ring terminal connector
(1) 1/4" Ring terminal connector
(3) .187" Female Quick-Connect terminals
Heat-Shrink tubing
Electrical Tape
Coat Hanger / Wire-puller
Zip-Ties
Drill with 3/4" drill-bit -or- hole-saw
LIGHT!!!

STEP 1: Mount The LEDs

!!!Disconnect the Battery!!!

I mounted the (2) 12" LED strips on the underside of the hood (First, clean the mounting area with water and/or rubbing alcohol, let dry)

Connect the (2) 12" strips using the pre-wired pigtails. You can clip off the last pigtail on the passenger side, as it will not be used.

I stuck the 6" strip on the underside of the hood latch shield thing. Again, clip off the passenger side pigtail, and leave the driver's side.

STEP 2: Install the Switch

Using a skinny flat head screwdriver, remove all the clips on the top plastic cover above the radiator.

Drill a 3/4" hole on the driver's side of the plastic piece, centered above the last hole.
NOTE: I had to make small notch at the 9 o'clock position of the hole (driver's side). Test fit the switch

STEP 3: Wire it up

*I used (2) Male pigtail plugs that came with the LED strips. The WHITE is the +POS and the BLACK is the GROUND

For the hood LEDs:
I soldered my +POS and GROUND wires to the male pigtail that came with the LED strips and heat shrinked them. Run the +POS wire until it reached the switch. I then measured the GROUND until it reaches the common ground by the battery (near the fusebox).

Leave yourself a few extra inches and trim the wire.

After you have your wire lengths measured and cut, run them through the recesses of the hood, and out the hole in the bottom corner near the windshield on the driver's side.

I wrapped the wire in electrical tape near the hole, and pulled it back through to insulate it and keep it in place. I also used my Relentless CB mount to keep the wire from getting pinched in the hood and insured it wouldn't move.

After insuring the +POS lead reaches the switch, crimp on a .187" female quick-connect terminal.

For the winch LED:

I plugged in the other pigtail and soldered a length of wire for the GROUND. This is going to the same ground point as the hood LEDs. Measure it and trim the wire.

I crimped on the 1/4" Ring Terminal and connected this GROUND wire to the Hood LED GROUND using a Quick-Splice connector. Now all the LED strips share the same common GROUND point.

On the +POS lead (white wire), I crimped on a .187" female Quick Connect terminal for the switch.

For the 12v Battery Lead:
I crimped on the 1/2" ring terminal on the in-line Add-A-Fuse and soldered an extension wire to reach the switch. Then I crimped on another .187" female Quick-Connect terminal to connect it to the switch. I used a 2 amp fuse.

STEP 4: Clean it up & Plug It In

After checking that all the wires will reach the switch and ground point, start tucking them in and cleaning them up with zip-ties, electrical tape etc.

I tried to tuck the wires up into the fender area as much as possible, but be careful to avoid sharp edges and pinch points. Zip-ties and electrical tape came in handy here.

Give everything a once-over and plug it all in. Don't forget to put a fuse in.

STEP 5: Turn Them ON!!!

Old 09-16-2012, 12:07 AM   #2
The Blue Warrior
ToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Shay
ToyotaKTMracing's Tacoma Gallery
That is awesome! It reminds me of my mod I just did. Mainly because of the last picture. Haha
Old 09-16-2012, 12:34 AM   #3
Superior Member
707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jake
707tothe907's Tacoma Gallery
Clean install!!

I have a rats nest of wires surrounding my battery..
Old 09-16-2012, 12:34 AM   #4
You're no good to me dead
BulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: You can call me Susan if it makes you happy.
BulletToothTony's Tacoma Gallery
Subd good job man
Old 09-16-2012, 12:42 AM   #5
Very nice how much?
Forster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Firefighter/EMT
Name: Nick
Forster46's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to Forster46
Interesting. And nice switch location. I wouldn't have thought of that. No one will know it's there unless you're looking specifically.
Old 09-16-2012, 09:44 AM   #6
...and we're back!
Benson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyotaKTMracing View Post
That is awesome! It reminds me of my mod I just did. Mainly because of the last picture. Haha
Thanks man, the LEDs are badass. I thought about cruising around with the grille lit up, but then I remembered I don't live in S-Cal, and I drive a truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by 707tothe907 View Post
Clean install!!

I have a rats nest of wires surrounding my battery..
I try to keep it tidy. I may look into getting an aux. fuse block before I add anything else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BulletToothTony View Post
Subd good job man
Thanks Tony, check out my other installs too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forster46 View Post
Interesting. And nice switch location. I wouldn't have thought of that. No one will know it's there unless you're looking specifically.
Thanks Nick. I like being able to control the lights independently. The install was pretty straight-forward. It took me about 1.5 hours total. Shit..it took me longer to the write-up...
Old 09-16-2012, 09:56 AM   #7
Retired Senior NCO
sfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Retired U.S. Army Air Defender
Name: Dan
sfcadams's Tacoma Gallery
Awesome!
Old 09-16-2012, 11:43 AM   #8
Bah Humshit!
brian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Work and Fly on the Four Fans of Freedom
brian's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to brian
Nice writeup. For future reference, if you want an even cleaner install with less wire, remember that everything metal in your truck is a ground, assuming its bonded. You could have saved a few feet of wire by using the hood bolts, or whever the closest bolt/screw to your lights are. Looks good man. I'm starting on my bed LED's here in a few minutes, and seeing this gives me an idea to do some under hood lights as well. Just not enough light in this truck!
Old 09-16-2012, 12:21 PM   #9
...and we're back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfcadams View Post
Awesome!
I agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian View Post
Nice writeup. For future reference, if you want an even cleaner install with less wire, remember that everything metal in your truck is a ground, assuming its bonded. You could have saved a few feet of wire by using the hood bolts, or whever the closest bolt/screw to your lights are. Looks good man. I'm starting on my bed LED's here in a few minutes, and seeing this gives me an idea to do some under hood lights as well. Just not enough light in this truck!
Nice, thanks Brian. I may just be OCD, but I prefer to use the same ground point closest to the battery, same as my CB install.

Good luck on the bed LEDs
Old 02-09-2014, 07:52 PM   #11
Mall Crawler
MrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Dean'o
Location: Wisconsin, Hawaii, California, North Carolina...everywhere
MrGrimm's Tacoma Gallery
Subscribed! I like the detail in this DIY.
Old 04-21-2014, 03:33 PM   #12
          
skygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shed

skygear's Tacoma Gallery
You ever use a gas prop switch? I have a couple I am installing for my frone and rear lights/..
Old 04-21-2014, 03:51 PM   #14
          
skygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shed

skygear's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benson X View Post
I was debating it, but I went with the 2 position switch so I can control the winch area or engine bay lights independently.
Tying mine into the Alarm system / Door switches too.
Old 04-21-2014, 08:51 PM   #15
          

skygear's Tacoma Gallery
Check this out

https://youtu.be/0TVZe-YInrg
Old 04-22-2014, 04:18 AM   #17
          

skygear's Tacoma Gallery
Try again
Old 04-22-2014, 11:12 PM   #18
toendanger is on a distinguished road
toendanger's Tacoma Gallery
Thought I'd share mine I did a while back. Did basically the same. Absolutely love all the light. And these suckers could stay on forever with minimal drain. I want to put another one under the engine for when I need to crawl underneath at night for whatever reason.

Old 04-24-2014, 02:52 PM   #20
27Tacoma is on a distinguished road
27Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
How do you think they'll hold up due to engine heat? Most cheap LEDs can't sustain much heat, so they burn out quick, or flicker.

Products Discussed in this Thread