Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

underbody neons on a taco?

Old 01-17-2009, 12:59 AM   #1
9th level dungeon master
darkturtleninja is a name known to alldarkturtleninja is a name known to alldarkturtleninja is a name known to alldarkturtleninja is a name known to alldarkturtleninja is a name known to alldarkturtleninja is a name known to all

darkturtleninja's Tacoma Gallery
Talking underbody neons on a taco?

ok so most of you will probly say neons are rice..... but imo the 4cyl taco has rice written all over it!!!! if its a 4 banger its a rice burner! i have 2 kits of blue streetglow neons i was thinking about tossing on my taco. just wondered what you guys thought about it..... also i dont really do any wheeling on rugged terrain or anything like that so im not worried about damaging them.... just mud once in awhile but i think my trailmaster 6" lift and my body lift will minimize the chances for broken tubes... let me know if anyone has underbody kits.....
Old 01-17-2009, 09:01 AM   #2
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: beat cop...putting bad people in jail
Name: Jeff
tigerfan00's Tacoma Gallery
have you thought about doing something different with them? like maybe making bed lights....
Old 01-17-2009, 09:02 AM   #3
EnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shed
EnolaGaia's Tacoma Gallery
Are you wanting to add them just for visual effect, or as auxiliary lighting to check clearance underneath in tight places?
Old 01-17-2009, 09:04 AM   #4
Plastidipped ma Hootus!
kmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kyle
kmok's Tacoma Gallery
Dont do it!
Old 01-17-2009, 09:07 AM   #5
I miss Lucy. :-(
HerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Computer Tech
Name: John
HerNameIsLucy's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to HerNameIsLucy Send a message via Yahoo to HerNameIsLucy
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerfan00 View Post
have you thought about doing something different with them? like maybe making bed lights....
That's exactly what I'm doing with mine. Someday.

IMHO under-carriage lights are for street trucks. Don't really fit the "rugged lifted truck" image. Just my opinion though.
Old 01-17-2009, 09:11 AM   #6
Mayor of TW
Delmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Vet
Name: Mike
Delmarva's Tacoma Gallery
hmm...

x2 on bedlights if ya gotta use them... but not for underneath the truck.
Old 01-17-2009, 09:28 AM   #7
Go Vick ??? Go Birds !!!
Rtrn2taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRtrn2taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRtrn2taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRtrn2taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRtrn2taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRtrn2taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRtrn2taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRtrn2taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRtrn2taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRtrn2taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRtrn2taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Rtrn2taco's Tacoma Gallery
The only use for them to me would be to hook them to the door pin so they illuminate the ground when exiting the truck (white of course).
Old 01-18-2009, 06:53 AM   #8
9th level dungeon master
darkturtleninja is a name known to alldarkturtleninja is a name known to alldarkturtleninja is a name known to alldarkturtleninja is a name known to alldarkturtleninja is a name known to alldarkturtleninja is a name known to all

actually i was kinda thinking for all the above.... i had a set of white underbody neons and they lit up the ditchline and helped me see deer and whatnot.... but clearance definately..... plus they always helped out when i caught a stick or something underneath id just kick them on and i could see underneath.... i must say that they are a handy thing to have in some situations.....
that was on my saturn btw.....

i have thought about the bed lighting but i have a drop in bed liner so you would be able to see them quite easily or steal them easily....

im thinking about the doorpin thing.... thats a fantastic idea.... would the stock wiring and fuse be able to take that much more current draw i think its only like 5 to 10 amps max......
Old 01-18-2009, 07:50 AM   #9
HerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Send a message via AIM to HerNameIsLucy Send a message via Yahoo to HerNameIsLucy
My tubes are a foot long and use less than an amp each. What kind do you have that uses that much juice?

Keep in mind the door switch switches ground. So you'd have to run power to the lights.
Old 01-18-2009, 07:54 AM   #10
9th level dungeon master

so the switch is to ground instead of power???? how hard would it be to install a door switch specifically for the neons?????
where would i get a switch of that sort????napa?
they are old school streetglow with converter box
Old 01-18-2009, 07:58 AM   #11

I'd just run a fused wire from the battery positive and use the door switch to supply ground to them. I've never pulled the switches out of a Taco but have on other cars, they're pretty rugged and appear to be able to handle some decent current draw. If you're nervous about it though it wouldn't be hard to use a relay.
Old 01-18-2009, 08:03 AM   #12
Machine gun shits
paintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: shithead
paintdiddy's Tacoma Gallery
i thought they went out in the early 90's??dont do it
Old 01-18-2009, 08:13 AM   #13
9th level dungeon master

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintdiddy View Post
i thought they went out in the early 90's??dont do it
most of the newer neons have built in transformers so you can hook them directly to a 12volt source and a ground..... the ones i have consist of a converterbox and tubes that wire in a series circuit.....
Old 01-18-2009, 08:38 AM   #14
Tacoma Newbie
moserjjx has much to be proud ofmoserjjx has much to be proud ofmoserjjx has much to be proud ofmoserjjx has much to be proud ofmoserjjx has much to be proud ofmoserjjx has much to be proud ofmoserjjx has much to be proud ofmoserjjx has much to be proud ofmoserjjx has much to be proud ofmoserjjx has much to be proud of
moserjjx's Tacoma Gallery
I bought a set of undercar led lights (white) and plan to do this mod. i might see if i can seperate the bed lights from the underneath lights

http://s124.photobucket.com/albums/p...t=MVI_1880.flv
Old 01-18-2009, 09:01 AM   #15
Low and slow
dually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 14S
dually's Tacoma Gallery
Underglow is ricey. Strictly for show purposes.
Old 01-18-2009, 09:22 AM   #16
9th level dungeon master

Quote:
Originally Posted by dually View Post
Underglow is ricey. Strictly for show purposes.
i believe i said you would say its rice.... and they are not necessarily for show only... it is a light... just like anyother light i helps you see in the dark.... like i said if you pick up a stick it will help you see to locate it... or as someone mentioned it can help you navigate obstacles while wheeling in the dark.... or my favorite, to help me see the pile of cat shit that is beside my car that way i dont step in it!!! damn furballs....
Old 01-18-2009, 09:25 AM   #17
9th level dungeon master

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmok View Post
Dont do it!
you take the time saying dont do it... but you havent given me any reason to not do it....just because you would rather not have them on your vehicle doesnt explain why i shouldnt put them on mine.... and it being rice isnt an acceptable reason....
Old 01-18-2009, 09:32 AM   #18
Plastidipped ma Hootus!
kmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kyle
kmok's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkturtleninja View Post
you take the time saying dont do it... but you havent given me any reason to not do it....just because you would rather not have them on your vehicle doesnt explain why i shouldnt put them on mine.... and it being rice isnt an acceptable reason....
Sorry I just thought you were going to put neons under a lifted truck for show....but since you were going to be using them for other purposes I withdraw my statement.
Old 01-18-2009, 09:36 AM   #19
9th level dungeon master

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmok View Post
Sorry I just thought you were going to put neons under a lifted truck for show....but since you were going to be using them for other purposes I withdraw my statement.
well it would be partly for show but there are many other handy uses i have found for them.... i appreciate your feedback please dont take offense to anything i say just trying to create conversation..... i think its a good topic... and all opinnions are welcome but if you just say dont do it that doesnt justify any reasoning..... ok i think we are on the same page now buddy
Old 01-18-2009, 09:40 AM   #20
Work in progress
khaos5407 is on a distinguished road
khaos5407's Tacoma Gallery
there are many uses for the neons i have them in my truck bed and under my truck as well, they have been used many a time not just for show, believe me its a good idea man