Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

Lesson learned "Lights behind Grill"

Old 01-17-2009, 11:22 AM   #1
jward2331 is a splendid one to beholdjward2331 is a splendid one to beholdjward2331 is a splendid one to beholdjward2331 is a splendid one to beholdjward2331 is a splendid one to beholdjward2331 is a splendid one to behold

Navy: Aviation
Name: John
jward2331's Tacoma Gallery
Angry Lesson learned "Lights behind Grill"

I am such a Dumba$$! I've been reading and studing and researching, well thought I did enough research... I had already installed the Grillcraft grill and wanted take the mod to a new level by installing the Hella Rallye 1000 Black Magic lights. Ordered them, took two days from Autoanything and was stoked, ready to start. I worked on installing the lights the yesterday only to realize the lights are much bigger than the Hella 500's (after going back on line and checking the dimentions) and they don't fit comfortable, they rub on the bottom. I am screwed now. Shoulda bought the 500's.
Unless someone can enlighten me from their experience, I will have to sell the lights and use the harness for some 500's or sell the whole setup. I already pre wired the lights so they are ready to mount.

John
Old 01-17-2009, 01:43 PM   #3
Mayor of TW
Delmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Vet
Name: Mike
Delmarva's Tacoma Gallery
Potentially interested in buying those if they don't work out for ya...
Old 01-18-2009, 07:38 AM   #4
jward2331 is a splendid one to beholdjward2331 is a splendid one to beholdjward2331 is a splendid one to beholdjward2331 is a splendid one to beholdjward2331 is a splendid one to beholdjward2331 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1BlkT View Post
Can you post a picture so we have a better idea of where it's rubbing?
I was mounting them from the top and they are so big they rub down on the bottom (on the flange). I was working on one light and realized it wouldn't work for me so I never mounted them. I just put the grill back on the truck. No pictures available since it is back together.
Old 01-18-2009, 07:40 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DelmarvaTaco View Post
Potentially interested in buying those if they don't work out for ya...
If you are interested, let me know, I will make it worth your while. I won't be using them so I need to recover what I can. I bought them from "Autoanything" for $219, shipping included. I want to buy the Hella 500's and be done with my project and move on to others.
Old 01-18-2009, 10:47 AM   #6
Mod'n on a Budget
1BlkT is one of the sharper tools in the shed1BlkT is one of the sharper tools in the shed1BlkT is one of the sharper tools in the shed1BlkT is one of the sharper tools in the shed1BlkT is one of the sharper tools in the shed1BlkT is one of the sharper tools in the shed1BlkT is one of the sharper tools in the shed1BlkT is one of the sharper tools in the shed1BlkT is one of the sharper tools in the shed1BlkT is one of the sharper tools in the shed1BlkT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ty
1BlkT's Tacoma Gallery
When you were mounting them were you trying to mount them from the the "top flange" when they were hitting the bottom flange? If so what if you mounted them from the 2 plastic brackets that you screw onto the truck to attach the grill? I don't know if I'm explaining this right or if you might have tried from there already. The down side would be they wouldn't be as close to the grill and possible not enough room behind the light for them to fit then.
Old 01-18-2009, 11:26 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1BlkT View Post
When you were mounting them were you trying to mount them from the the "top flange" when they were hitting the bottom flange? If so what if you mounted them from the 2 plastic brackets that you screw onto the truck to attach the grill? I don't know if I'm explaining this right or if you might have tried from there already. The down side would be they wouldn't be as close to the grill and possible not enough room behind the light for them to fit then.
You explained it right, no I didn't try that. You are right though, I don't think there would be enough room. I've dumped that idea, now I am going back to plan A and do what the others have done. I need to get some bucks back by selling the Black Magic. They are great lights. They are bigger and heavier than I imagined. Shoulda done better homework...