Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

LEDs (Lights) Made Easy: Interior & Exterior

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-27-2010, 06:28 PM   #41
WhyNotFab is on a distinguished road
Name: Ricky
WhyNotFab's Tacoma Gallery
Which of these from the list are the same for 1st gen Tacomas? I want to replace all of mine, 2001.
Old 11-04-2010, 11:15 AM   #42
HAMMERHEAD76 is on a distinguished road

Name: Bill
HAMMERHEAD76's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaTechLogan View Post
I ordered and installed the suggested bulbs for the parking/marker lights and am very pleased but they do not seem to fit as well as the original bulbs. The originals were very hard to remove out of the socket but the new LED's came out quite easily. Anybody notice this about their LED replacements? If so what did you do about it?

I'm not super worried about it, I've just been running them anyway but it would really suck to have one of those LED's fall out into the housing. They just don't seem to fit as far into the socket as the stock bulbs.

This just happened to me. I can't get the front marker LED replacement to fit into the socket. It fell out and into the housing. Anybody know of a way to get the little booger outta there without having to disconnect the whole thing? (new guy here, btw)
Old 11-04-2010, 12:15 PM   #43
magneticnick has a spectacular aura aboutmagneticnick has a spectacular aura about

Name: Nick
magneticnick's Tacoma Gallery
I ordered all of the bulbs the OP suggusted but i'm a bit let down with the color difference from the interior map lights (WLED-x5 Cool White) and the dome light (4410-x9 Cool White).

Did anybody else have this problem? The map lights are a nice solid bright white light and dome light looks like a blue bulb i picked up at pep-boys.

Any input???
Old 11-04-2010, 06:43 PM   #44
HAMMERHEAD76 is on a distinguished road

Name: Bill
HAMMERHEAD76's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah, mine came out the same way, but I'm happy with the light it puts out. The map lights are much better looking.
Old 12-13-2010, 07:24 PM   #45
Rufus has a brilliant futureRufus has a brilliant futureRufus has a brilliant futureRufus has a brilliant futureRufus has a brilliant futureRufus has a brilliant futureRufus has a brilliant futureRufus has a brilliant futureRufus has a brilliant futureRufus has a brilliant futureRufus has a brilliant future

Rufus's Tacoma Gallery
Thumbs down 921 x 12 Cool White LED Reverse Bulb

These LED's suck! I purchased 2 of these LED reverse bulbs from superbrightleds.com for $16 including shipping. My 1st. disappointment was the fitment. They don't fit into the socket very well. The stem is either too short or the bulb housing prevents it from going all the way in. Not sure how long before they fall off.

My 2nd. disappointment was the light output. I was hoping these would provide a little bit of a brighter light than the stock bulbs. The light is whiter, but not brighter. A big disappointment & kinda pricey for two little bulbs. I prefer the stock bulbs over these LED's. Tomorrow, I take them out and maybe try some Silver Stars.

Shipping was fast but I wouldn't recommend these specific LED's.
Old 12-14-2010, 06:17 AM   #46
The Tinkerer
H2Otx is one of the sharper tools in the shedH2Otx is one of the sharper tools in the shedH2Otx is one of the sharper tools in the shedH2Otx is one of the sharper tools in the shedH2Otx is one of the sharper tools in the shedH2Otx is one of the sharper tools in the shedH2Otx is one of the sharper tools in the shedH2Otx is one of the sharper tools in the shedH2Otx is one of the sharper tools in the shedH2Otx is one of the sharper tools in the shedH2Otx is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Austin
H2Otx's Tacoma Gallery
Exclamation Solution to 921 bulb fitment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
These LED's suck! I purchased 2 of these LED reverse bulbs from superbrightleds.com for $16 including shipping. My 1st. disappointment was the fitment. They don't fit into the socket very well. The stem is either too short or the bulb housing prevents it from going all the way in. Not sure how long before they fall off.

My 2nd. disappointment was the light output. I was hoping these would provide a little bit of a brighter light than the stock bulbs. The light is whiter, but not brighter. A big disappointment & kinda pricey for two little bulbs. I prefer the stock bulbs over these LED's. Tomorrow, I take them out and maybe try some Silver Stars.

Shipping was fast but I wouldn't recommend these specific LED's.
The fitment is off, but after contacting the company it is because the bulbs are made for general socket designs. The Tacoma reverse socket has to be waterproof and somewhat secure to stand up to the abuse.

I have the exact bulbs and got them to fit and they are not coming out. I have had them installed since August. You just have to attack the problem from outside of the box (or housing in this case).

HERE's HOW....

Tools:
- Soldering Iron
- Wire Clippers
- Sharpie

1.) Take the bulb and put it in the socket, you don't have to shove it in there because it WON'T go.
2.) Use the the sharpie and mark where the socket edges contact the bulb. Make sure the internal wires don't run near the sections you are marking to remove.
3.) Use the soldering iron to melt the plastic housing of the bulb (NOT the socket), and ONLY in the places needed. This may be tedious to some but take YOUR TIME!

NOTE: Remember you can always remove more, you can never add any back.

4.) Use the wire clippers to clip away the melted plastic housing and check the fitment as you go.

VIOLA!!!

NO fitment issues. Bulb still works and will not pop out.

---------------

If pictures are needed, just reply and let me know.

Now my one comment is they DO NOT improve back up illumination. The reflectors in the housing (if a regular bulb is used) actually have a purpose. These are directional bulbs and the spread and illumination is not easy to see (tinted windows, etc...). But, all things being considered I purchased them for looks not really to use. I plan on installing a rear-runner with Lightforces later, to be my back-up lights.
Old 12-14-2010, 09:18 PM   #48
The Tinkerer
H2Otx is one of the sharper tools in the shedH2Otx is one of the sharper tools in the shedH2Otx is one of the sharper tools in the shedH2Otx is one of the sharper tools in the shedH2Otx is one of the sharper tools in the shedH2Otx is one of the sharper tools in the shedH2Otx is one of the sharper tools in the shedH2Otx is one of the sharper tools in the shedH2Otx is one of the sharper tools in the shedH2Otx is one of the sharper tools in the shedH2Otx is one of the sharper tools in the shed

H2Otx's Tacoma Gallery
No problem, just trying to help my bretherend out.

Yeah the illumination is key but I will handle that when I can afford those pieces, hahaha.
Old 12-16-2010, 09:25 AM   #49
Minimum Wage!
cdikkers is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdikkers is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdikkers is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdikkers is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdikkers is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdikkers is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdikkers is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdikkers is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdikkers is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdikkers is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdikkers is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Casey
cdikkers's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to cdikkers Send a message via Yahoo to cdikkers Send a message via Skype™ to cdikkers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
Great write-up Austin. Will be useful for those who want to keep the LED's for looks. But for me, I need a brighter bulb for backup illumination.
I've been going through a process of trial and error with most of the lighting on my Tacoma, and so far it seems like the best way to get more light out of the backup lights is the Sylvania Silverstar bulbs for backup lights. Not sure how long they are going to last since they are a Silverstar product, but there is significant improvement. We frequently visit my inlaws, and they live in the country and have a long narrow driveway that we have to back down whenever we leave at a night. Stock was doable, LEDs were flat dangerous, and the Silverstars show a noticed improvement...

I've always had hopes that I would find an auxiliary back-up light that would mount in my trailer hitch receiver and wire up to the trailer light plug...
Old 12-16-2010, 09:40 AM   #50
The Tinkerer

H2Otx's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdikkers View Post
I've been going through a process of trial and error with most of the lighting on my Tacoma, and so far it seems like the best way to get more light out of the backup lights is the Sylvania Silverstar bulbs for backup lights. Not sure how long they are going to last since they are a Silverstar product, but there is significant improvement. We frequently visit my inlaws, and they live in the country and have a long narrow driveway that we have to back down whenever we leave at a night. Stock was doable, LEDs were flat dangerous, and the Silverstars show a noticed improvement...

I've always had hopes that I would find an auxiliary back-up light that would mount in my trailer hitch receiver and wire up to the trailer light plug...
Actually you might be onto something for those who want a cheaper, removable solution for enhanced rear lighting.

You could get a rear hitch of some sort, just don't put a ball on it, and fabricate a way to mount one or two lights of your choosing.

Wire them up in parallel to a four pin connector that keys off of the reverse signal or something similar. Has to be a way. Then those lights come on when plugged in.

WARNING: You need to watch the current draw though. You will blow through fuses like a pez despenser or worse overheat the wiring harness and potentially cause a fire.
Old 12-16-2010, 08:17 PM   #51
Rufus has a brilliant futureRufus has a brilliant futureRufus has a brilliant futureRufus has a brilliant futureRufus has a brilliant futureRufus has a brilliant futureRufus has a brilliant futureRufus has a brilliant futureRufus has a brilliant futureRufus has a brilliant futureRufus has a brilliant future

Rufus's Tacoma Gallery
I just put in some 921 Silver Star reverse bulbs ($9.49 @ Kragen). Haven't had a chance to check 'em out in the dark yet. They should last long since they're not in use continuously. I also bought Silver Star Ultra's 9003/HB2 SU/2 ($50 - $15 rebate @ Pep Boys) for my headlamps. Very bright. Big improvement over stock bulbs.

Check this out. Just plugs into your tow hitch connector. No installation or wiring. When not in use, just put it away.
http://www.amazon.com/Light-Buster-T...2558594&sr=8-1
Old 12-16-2010, 08:36 PM   #52
x ynot is one of the sharper tools in the shedx ynot is one of the sharper tools in the shedx ynot is one of the sharper tools in the shedx ynot is one of the sharper tools in the shedx ynot is one of the sharper tools in the shedx ynot is one of the sharper tools in the shedx ynot is one of the sharper tools in the shedx ynot is one of the sharper tools in the shedx ynot is one of the sharper tools in the shedx ynot is one of the sharper tools in the shedx ynot is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: tony
x ynot's Tacoma Gallery
wwwwooooooooooooooooooo leds
Old 02-01-2011, 06:12 PM   #53
Brian0718 is on a distinguished road
Name: Brian
Brian0718's Tacoma Gallery
perfect write up. placed my order tonight.
Old 02-05-2011, 12:47 PM   #54
just an AnT
AsianAnts is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsianAnts is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsianAnts is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsianAnts is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsianAnts is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsianAnts is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsianAnts is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsianAnts is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsianAnts is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsianAnts is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsianAnts is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 3451, 1st Civ Div MCB Camp Pendleton
Name: AnT
AsianAnts's Tacoma Gallery
did u just order 1 set of 25 LED from the Oznium site?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasBlue View Post
Great post. This is a good bit of reference for those looking to do LED mods. One other suggestion I might make is using the Oznium 25 LED product for the dome:

http://www.oznium.com/led-domelight/

I just ordered the parts for the dome (Oznium), map, and license plate (both superbrightled's) and will post up some pictures once I get them installed.
Old 02-09-2011, 06:27 PM   #55
just an AnT
AsianAnts is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsianAnts is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsianAnts is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsianAnts is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsianAnts is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsianAnts is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsianAnts is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsianAnts is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsianAnts is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsianAnts is one of the sharper tools in the shedAsianAnts is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 3451, 1st Civ Div MCB Camp Pendleton
Name: AnT
AsianAnts's Tacoma Gallery
I just replaced my dome lights, map lights, license plate lights and the DTRL. I'm pretty content with the light outputs and colors for all. But I probably do see myself purchasing the LED dome-lights from Oznium.

I simply purchased the same products as in post 1 of this thread. To me, the license plate lights were a bit on the dim side, but hey they don't need to see my plates anyway. The dome lights and map lights do match well. The orange DTRL seem more of a solid orange than the stock. The stock core seemed a bit white to me or light orange. In other words, the LEDs were more uniform in color.

I'll post up pics of the lights this weekend.

-AnT
Old 02-10-2011, 08:30 PM   #56
2 is 1, 1 is none.
StaticTaco is a splendid one to beholdStaticTaco is a splendid one to beholdStaticTaco is a splendid one to beholdStaticTaco is a splendid one to beholdStaticTaco is a splendid one to beholdStaticTaco is a splendid one to beholdStaticTaco is a splendid one to behold

Army: HIARNG
Name: Mitch
StaticTaco's Tacoma Gallery
got the same interior lights as the OP, the difference is awesome. i wasn't too concerned about the light output since i don't really use my interior lights, just wanted a whiter light.

bought from superbrightleds.com

thanks for the write up mceagle555!!
Old 02-14-2011, 12:10 AM   #57
11-98 MUD
norcal4banger is a splendid one to beholdnorcal4banger is a splendid one to beholdnorcal4banger is a splendid one to beholdnorcal4banger is a splendid one to beholdnorcal4banger is a splendid one to beholdnorcal4banger is a splendid one to beholdnorcal4banger is a splendid one to behold

Law Enforcement:
Name: Jack
norcal4banger's Tacoma Gallery
V-LEDS.COM Thats where I got mine, they work great and look freaking awesome. around $90 from them for everything except the headlight bulbs. Just be ready to order a new relay because the LEDs have no draw whatsoever so your blinkers will flash like a mother.
Old 02-20-2011, 07:09 PM   #58
three west is on a distinguished road
Name: JD
three west's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by norcal4banger View Post
V-LEDS.COM Thats where I got mine, they work great and look freaking awesome. around $90 from them for everything except the headlight bulbs. Just be ready to order a new relay because the LEDs have no draw whatsoever so your blinkers will flash like a mother.
so somebody has ID'd the right relay for us to use?
Old 02-20-2011, 07:31 PM   #59
Lurker No More
caribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: CAG11 & VAW-117 AME2
caribe makaira's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by three west View Post
so somebody has ID'd the right relay for us to use?
Keep OEM blinker-add LED load equalizers.
http://www.customled.com/products/lo..._equalizer.htm
Old 11-11-2011, 09:52 PM   #60
YESSAHBUD...heyut
mainewoodsballer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmainewoodsballer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmainewoodsballer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmainewoodsballer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmainewoodsballer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmainewoodsballer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmainewoodsballer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmainewoodsballer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmainewoodsballer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmainewoodsballer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmainewoodsballer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ol' Waltah
mainewoodsballer's Tacoma Gallery
I got myself a blue LED for my dome light that took seconds to install and works great with alot of light.. and LED 3rd brake light.

Products Discussed in this Thread