Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

Help with Anytime Foglight Mod for '13 - headlights on all the time

Old 10-04-2012, 07:57 AM   #21
...'cause I...am Shauncho
Shauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shedShauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shedShauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shedShauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shedShauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shedShauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shedShauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shedShauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shedShauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shedShauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shedShauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Shaun
Shauncho's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdunc View Post
Great, glad it works!
Thanks! Me too! Thanks for your suggestion. I was probably going to eventually go that route anyway but you pushed me to find the solution immediately and for that, I'm grateful.
Old 10-04-2012, 08:50 AM   #22
Throbbing Member
B737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB737 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kevin
B737's Tacoma Gallery
at night, is your fog light switch still back-lit?
Old 10-04-2012, 09:20 AM   #23
Shauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shedShauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shedShauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shedShauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shedShauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shedShauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shedShauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shedShauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shedShauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shedShauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shedShauncho is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by B737 View Post
That's a good question. to tell you the truth, I don't think it was ever back-lit but I honestly can't remember...wish I had an un-bent relay to test with. maybe I'll get one and check it out.

Anyone with an unmodded '12 or '13 that can sound off on this question?
Old 10-04-2012, 09:23 AM   #24
Throbbing Member
B737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB737 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB737 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

B737's Tacoma Gallery
The switch should b back lit when the headlights are on.
Old 10-04-2012, 09:27 AM   #25

Quote:
interesting. I'll check it out tonight and let you know.
Old 10-04-2012, 10:33 AM   #26
tdunc is a jewel in the roughtdunc is a jewel in the roughtdunc is a jewel in the roughtdunc is a jewel in the rough
tdunc's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
The back light on my fog switch does not light up when the fogs are turned on/off. It only turns on when all other interior lights come on (gauges, A/C controls, etc), as B737 stated. Bending the tab on the relay, should not have affected this functionality since it wires to a different part of the switch all together.
(see post #14) http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/lig...ch-wiring.html

As an additional note, I might add in the extra LED to tell me when the fogs are on. There's another thread on here for that, can't find it at the moment...
Old 10-04-2012, 02:21 PM   #27
nickberg is on a distinguished road
Name: Nick
nickberg's Tacoma Gallery
The other night I attempted this on my 2012 by tapping the red and black wire under the fog light relay in smaller relay box to a green wire in the main box... same headlight issue as the OP. I was kinda hoping that there is a way of doing the mod with out having to bend the relay and keep it cleanly under the box.
Old 10-04-2012, 02:30 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickberg View Post
The other night I attempted this on my 2012 by tapping the red and black wire under the fog light relay in smaller relay box to a green wire in the main box... same headlight issue as the OP. I was kinda hoping that there is a way of doing the mod with out having to bend the relay and keep it cleanly under the box.
Yeah, so was I but it turns out the relay tab is probably the best solution. And if you break the tab, worst case scenario is you drive around without fogs for a few days until you can make it to the stealership to get a new relay. In the secondary panel, there's a hole in the middle of the sub-panel where you can push the wire up through to the top of the relay so it's still pretty clean. I mean, if you want, all you have to do is un-tape the factory wires, add yours to the bunch and tape them back together and you're as stealth and clean as it gets.

and as I mentioned in my updates, just bend it VERY slowly and you should be fine.
Old 10-04-2012, 07:27 PM   #29

Quote:
So the answer is yes, the button it still backlit when the headlights are turned on. Functions completely normal after the mod.
Old 10-05-2012, 04:48 AM   #30
tdunc is a jewel in the roughtdunc is a jewel in the roughtdunc is a jewel in the roughtdunc is a jewel in the rough
tdunc's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickberg View Post
It looks like the only options are to bend the tab, or cut and tie in to the red/black wire underneath your fog relay. If you cut the factory wiring, make sure to tape all exposed wires to prevent any short circuits (blowing fuses, and possibly relays).
Old 10-05-2012, 05:26 AM   #31
Throbbing Member

B737's Tacoma Gallery
if your worried about bending the tab, just get the relay off ebay for $8 (shipped) that way you'll have an extra one to mess with.

i wish the relay slot to the right of my fog relay was populated (i think its for heated seats), but it's not. im either going to have to try the trailer relay (one guy reported trailer issues though) or the pigging backing off the harness pin that is shown in the other thread. Ive only had to turn off my headlights once during a blizzard to see with the fog lamps, in 17 years...but the one time you do need it, and its not there, it would suck...
Old 10-16-2012, 06:06 AM   #32
m.reed.1 has a brilliant futurem.reed.1 has a brilliant futurem.reed.1 has a brilliant futurem.reed.1 has a brilliant futurem.reed.1 has a brilliant futurem.reed.1 has a brilliant futurem.reed.1 has a brilliant futurem.reed.1 has a brilliant futurem.reed.1 has a brilliant futurem.reed.1 has a brilliant futurem.reed.1 has a brilliant future

Air Force:
Name: Adam
m.reed.1's Tacoma Gallery
Alright so I've done the fog light mod a few weeks ago. It seems like everyone else's fog lights go off with the door open just like your normal lights, however mine stay on. That is unless I push the button to turn them off. Is this normal or should they go off withy other lights once I get out of my truck? Also I have my red/white emergency LEDs installed in my grille and will post a video soon.
Old 10-16-2012, 07:58 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by m.reed.1 View Post
Alright so I've done the fog light mod a few weeks ago. It seems like everyone else's fog lights go off with the door open just like your normal lights, however mine stay on. That is unless I push the button to turn them off. Is this normal or should they go off withy other lights once I get out of my truck? Also I have my red/white emergency LEDs installed in my grille and will post a video soon.
No, they should go off when you turn off the ignition and pull out the key. I don't think mine even stay on with the door closed after I take the key out.

Did you connect to the right power source? or connect to the correct tab on the relay? go over the pics in the '12-'13 how-to's and make sure to copy them exactly.
Old 11-16-2012, 06:13 PM   #34
Relentless
jjhitchen is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjhitchen is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjhitchen is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjhitchen is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjhitchen is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjhitchen is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjhitchen is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjhitchen is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjhitchen is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjhitchen is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjhitchen is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Joel
jjhitchen's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shauncho View Post
So I've searched around TW and asked questions on other threads but they all seemed to be dead.

So I have a brand new '13 and i'm like "MOD THIS BITCH" so I start with something easy. well the foglight mod works great but now my headlights are on all the time regardless of the light setting on the steering column arm. Anyone know why?

- Is it because I did a quick splice to the red/black wire under the fog relay?
- Would this NOT have happened if I had bent the relay tab and connected to that instead?

I'd try it out but I'd like to hear from some people before I go bending my relay tab and accidentally break it off which is part of the reason I went the splice route to begin with.

*****UPDATE: 10/3/12 - 11:20am*****
Thought I'd condense the info here so people don't have to read through all the back and forth posts.

First, thanks to every who contributed. I appreciate you taking a the time out of your day to help me out.

So user tdunc had a great point which was that since the natural operation of the fogs is to go off when the low beams go off, they must be tied together via the red/black wire feeding to the Fog Relay. Thus, since I used a quick splice, I'm reverse sending power back through that red/black wire and feeding the headlights constantly. But this is just a theory...

I'm going to test this out tonight after work and will update for all to read.

*****UPDATE: 10/3/12 - 6:25pm*****
IT WORKS! So I removed my quick splice and went the bent relay tab route (just so people know, the amount of insulation that is removed when using a quick splice is negligible...mine had a nick about a centimeter and was only nicked on one side of the wire; quickly patched up with a little electrical wire).

Our theory was correct. The quick splice was sending power back to the headlight relay thus forcing the headlights to be on all the time. Not sure how many models this applies to (probably any with foglights) but the quick splice route is not recommended for the anytime fog light mod.

Couple things to point out about this mod:
- be VERY careful bending the tab; make sure to bend it very slowly and no one will get hurt. More importantly, be even more careful attaching your blade connector to the relay as sometimes those blade connectors are very hard to slide on to the tab and if you apply too much force, you could cause the tab to bend back quickly which will very easily fatigue the bend point of the tab. These tabs can only handle so much bending before they snap right off. I'm sure relays are cheap but it's just a pain in the ass that I'm sure you'd rather not have to deal with.
-(only applies to 2012 and newer) When re-attaching the secondary panel cover that houses the fog relay, sometimes the blade connector will stick out at a weird angle making it tougher to put the lid on. It can be done and closed completely but you just can't try to attach the hinge points first and then close it like a clamshell as you normally would. you have to kinda put the left side in first then kinda jimmy it in place...you'll see what I mean if you're affected by this.

End Result:

I have been scouring the 2012 fog any time mods and can't find and answer, I did exactly what you did here by bending the relay tab and got the fogs to work just fine with the high beams on and what not but now only my left low beam works not both.. Any ideas?
Old 11-16-2012, 07:29 PM   #35
2006KJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed2006KJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed2006KJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed2006KJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed2006KJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed2006KJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed2006KJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed2006KJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed2006KJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed2006KJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed2006KJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

2006KJ's Tacoma Gallery
nice looking truck !
Old 11-19-2012, 10:41 PM   #36
87twentytwor is on a distinguished road

Name: Jake
87twentytwor's Tacoma Gallery
...so lost... someone needs to clear this up lol...
Old 11-20-2012, 06:22 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjhitchen View Post
I have been scouring the 2012 fog any time mods and can't find and answer, I did exactly what you did here by bending the relay tab and got the fogs to work just fine with the high beams on and what not but now only my left low beam works not both.. Any ideas?
That certainly is weird. I honestly don't have a clue. Hopefully we can't get some other people to sound off on this one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87twentytwor View Post
...so lost... someone needs to clear this up lol...
Ask away man. What needs clarifying?
Old 11-20-2012, 06:23 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006KJ View Post
nice looking truck !
Thanks!!
Old 11-21-2012, 08:11 AM   #39
87twentytwor is on a distinguished road

Name: Jake
87twentytwor's Tacoma Gallery
So we can use the same diagram for the 2012?
Old 11-24-2012, 01:11 AM   #40
Relentless
jjhitchen is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjhitchen is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjhitchen is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjhitchen is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjhitchen is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjhitchen is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjhitchen is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjhitchen is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjhitchen is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjhitchen is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjhitchen is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Joel
jjhitchen's Tacoma Gallery
hey i just re worked the wire and now it works perfectly! Very happy about it.