Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

Help with mounting switches into sunglass holder

Old 10-03-2012, 06:28 PM   #1
PhantomVirus is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhantomVirus is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhantomVirus is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhantomVirus is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhantomVirus is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhantomVirus is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhantomVirus is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhantomVirus is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhantomVirus is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhantomVirus is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhantomVirus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: US Army Corps of Engineers - NADENMG
Name: Ron
PhantomVirus's Tacoma Gallery
Help with mounting switches into sunglass holder

So I am thinking of mounting 3 switches into the sunglasses holder in the roof of my 2012. I saw a few folks that did this and I really like the look.

Questions :
1) how did you keep the door from swinging open when pressing on the light switches? I don't want to permanently seal it since I may want to expand / modify / change out switches later. The older Tacos seem to have a clip that keeps the door closed, the new (2012's) are push to release locks on the front of the sunglass holder

2) what is the easiest way to remove the holder as I need to dremel a hole into it to fit the switches and it will be MUCH easier to do so out of the truck

I already bought the 3 switch mounting plate from OTRATTW

What I am looking to do is like THIS (pic courtesy of FIRE931) :

And this from PSUTACO85
Old 10-19-2012, 01:54 PM   #2
HedgehogOutdoors is on a distinguished road
Firefighter: Explorer
Name: John
HedgehogOutdoors's Tacoma Gallery
May I ask where the OTRATTW switches are made? I want to keep my 4runner as un-Chinese as possible, so if I have to buy Whelen switches to do so, so be it. But I LOVE the looks of the OTRATTW switches!
Old 10-19-2012, 01:56 PM   #3
Very nice how much?
Forster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Firefighter/EMT
Name: Nick
Forster46's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to Forster46
Quote:
Originally Posted by HedgehogOutdoors View Post
May I ask where the OTRATTW switches are made? I want to keep my 4runner as un-Chinese as possible, so if I have to buy Whelen switches to do so, so be it. But I LOVE the looks of the OTRATTW switches!
You copy pasted this from that other switch thread.

I'm on to you hedgehog..
Old 10-19-2012, 07:47 PM   #4
griffin407c is one of the sharper tools in the shedgriffin407c is one of the sharper tools in the shedgriffin407c is one of the sharper tools in the shedgriffin407c is one of the sharper tools in the shedgriffin407c is one of the sharper tools in the shedgriffin407c is one of the sharper tools in the shedgriffin407c is one of the sharper tools in the shedgriffin407c is one of the sharper tools in the shedgriffin407c is one of the sharper tools in the shedgriffin407c is one of the sharper tools in the shedgriffin407c is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force: POL/Fuels
Name: Ryan
griffin407c's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by HedgehogOutdoors View Post
does the "un-chinese" really matter that much?.....
Old 10-19-2012, 08:35 PM   #5
HedgehogOutdoors is on a distinguished road
Firefighter: Explorer
Name: John
HedgehogOutdoors's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forster46 View Post
You copy pasted this from that other switch thread.I'm on to you hedgehog..
Sure did! I need to know lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by griffin407c View Post
does the "un-chinese" really matter that much?.....
Yes it does, I'm supporting the economy 1 switch at a time XD
But honestly I've been buying almost everything American in the last year and a half except: 2 shirts from Haiti, 1 polisher from China, 1 4runner from Japan(TROLOLO) and 1 thing of superglue from Ireland. Everything else I've bought in the last year and a half is American made. That's how much it means to me.
Old 11-29-2012, 12:06 PM   #8
masterwacker has much to be proud ofmasterwacker has much to be proud ofmasterwacker has much to be proud ofmasterwacker has much to be proud ofmasterwacker has much to be proud ofmasterwacker has much to be proud ofmasterwacker has much to be proud ofmasterwacker has much to be proud ofmasterwacker has much to be proud ofmasterwacker has much to be proud of
Name: Paul
masterwacker's Tacoma Gallery
OTRATTW switches are from the Contura line of the manufacturer Carling Technologies. Carling Technologies was founded in the United States in the 1920s and was originally called Carling Tool and Machine. Their corporate headquarters is located in Connecticut and they make the best switches out bar none!!! OTRATTW is a really great company that takes the Contura line and modifies them for our purposes with logos and legends that pertain to us. Can't go wrong with either.

Hope that helps, and if anyone doesn't believe me here is the corporate website...

Carling Tech
Old 11-29-2012, 12:08 PM   #9
masterwacker has much to be proud ofmasterwacker has much to be proud ofmasterwacker has much to be proud ofmasterwacker has much to be proud ofmasterwacker has much to be proud ofmasterwacker has much to be proud ofmasterwacker has much to be proud ofmasterwacker has much to be proud ofmasterwacker has much to be proud ofmasterwacker has much to be proud of
Name: Paul
masterwacker's Tacoma Gallery
I will do a write up for you showing how I did it with the OTRATTW switches I have. Be patient as it might take a day or 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomVirus View Post
So I am thinking of mounting 3 switches into the sunglasses holder in the roof of my 2012. I saw a few folks that did this and I really like the look.

Questions :
1) how did you keep the door from swinging open when pressing on the light switches? I don't want to permanently seal it since I may want to expand / modify / change out switches later. The older Tacos seem to have a clip that keeps the door closed, the new (2012's) are push to release locks on the front of the sunglass holder

2) what is the easiest way to remove the holder as I need to dremel a hole into it to fit the switches and it will be MUCH easier to do so out of the truck

I already bought the 3 switch mounting plate from OTRATTW

What I am looking to do is like THIS (pic courtesy of FIRE931) :

And this from PSUTACO85
Old 12-04-2012, 06:23 AM   #11
PhantomVirus is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhantomVirus is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhantomVirus is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhantomVirus is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhantomVirus is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhantomVirus is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhantomVirus is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhantomVirus is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhantomVirus is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhantomVirus is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhantomVirus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Yes please! Rigids mounted with crappy switch solution right now. Take time, appreciate any help.
Old 12-04-2012, 06:29 AM   #12
cheese'd out of my mind
Tuckerhump is one of the sharper tools in the shedTuckerhump is one of the sharper tools in the shedTuckerhump is one of the sharper tools in the shedTuckerhump is one of the sharper tools in the shedTuckerhump is one of the sharper tools in the shedTuckerhump is one of the sharper tools in the shedTuckerhump is one of the sharper tools in the shedTuckerhump is one of the sharper tools in the shedTuckerhump is one of the sharper tools in the shedTuckerhump is one of the sharper tools in the shedTuckerhump is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Tuckerhump's Tacoma Gallery
Sub'd. Interested in this as well
Old 12-04-2012, 07:10 AM   #13
Rubber Side Down
Glocker23 is on a distinguished road

EMS:
Glocker23's Tacoma Gallery
Subd. Interesting idea
Old 12-23-2012, 05:29 PM   #15
Wannabe crawler
NC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
NC10TRDSPORT's Tacoma Gallery
VIA brutalguyracing's build thread:
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...ld-thread.html

And VIA PSU Taco85's build:
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...-build-45.html
Old 12-24-2012, 06:17 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC10TRDSPORT View Post

Thanks for this info - however - the 2012 has a different style sunglass holder than the earlier editions. The older versions had a clip that unsnapped the holder - the new ones require a push in to release the holder.

With the 2012 - if you exert pressure on the holder it opens. Not good if you are mounting switches there.
Old 12-25-2012, 12:16 PM   #17
knine00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedknine00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedknine00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedknine00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedknine00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedknine00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedknine00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedknine00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedknine00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedknine00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedknine00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force: 4th Fighter Wing
knine00's Tacoma Gallery

Here is my 2012 setup
Old 12-26-2012, 12:26 AM   #18
BOOM goes the dynamite!
greenguy3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgreenguy3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgreenguy3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgreenguy3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgreenguy3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgreenguy3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgreenguy3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgreenguy3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgreenguy3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgreenguy3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgreenguy3 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Ian
greenguy3's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by knine00 View Post

Here is my 2012 setup
Is your mirror still usable with that big hanging fin?
Old 12-26-2012, 02:37 AM   #19
knine00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedknine00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedknine00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedknine00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedknine00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedknine00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedknine00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedknine00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedknine00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedknine00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedknine00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force: 4th Fighter Wing
knine00's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah the picture is taken at a bad angle. You can still use the rear view mirror.
Old 12-26-2012, 03:04 AM   #20
dont tread on me!
Kolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: kevin
Kolunatic's Tacoma Gallery
I like those punisher switches.