Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

09+ Melting DTRL Lens Recall Petition **URGENT**

Old 10-13-2012, 12:39 AM   #21
NWTacoGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWTacoGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWTacoGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWTacoGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWTacoGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWTacoGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWTacoGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWTacoGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWTacoGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWTacoGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWTacoGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
Name: James
NWTacoGuy's Tacoma Gallery
Sub'd
Old 10-13-2012, 12:42 AM   #22
Never take the bait
Jasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Jasmine's Tacoma Gallery
I would do a lot more research before trying any form of petition.. writing 09+ on the title already has people with other years who could have the same problem (like us) from skipping this thread.
Old 10-13-2012, 12:48 AM   #23
Thin Blue Line
ProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Anthony
ProForce's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasmine View Post
I would do a lot more research before trying any form of petition.. writing 09+ on the title already has people with other years who could have the same problem (like us) from skipping this thread.
Of course. It isn't really so much a petition as I originally intended. It's more of just a compilation to show to Toyota. There is a lot of research to be done still, and I'm sure I'll spend several hours on the computer tomorrow researching DOT regulations. I also had no idea that this was not isolated to 2009 and up, Otherwise I would have changed the title. Hopefully the description will bring some 05-08 members in here. we'll see how it goes, this is just a start
Old 10-13-2012, 01:03 AM   #24
Bah Humshit!
brian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Work and Fly on the Four Fans of Freedom
brian's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to brian
Its a common issue and I believe Toyota should definitely do something about it. Sounds like you're doing what you can, but you need a little bit of umph behind you or nothing will ever come of it. I've dealt with Toyota and Extra Care before, they don't give two shits about us. It took a dealership owner to get what I needed done.

File a complaint with the FTC as well. They are required to respond within ~45 days IIRC. If not then its a hit against them.
Old 10-13-2012, 03:56 AM   #25
Thin Blue Line
ProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian View Post
Its a common issue and I believe Toyota should definitely do something about it. Sounds like you're doing what you can, but you need a little bit of umph behind you or nothing will ever come of it. I've dealt with Toyota and Extra Care before, they don't give two shits about us. It took a dealership owner to get what I needed done.

File a complaint with the FTC as well. They are required to respond within ~45 days IIRC. If not then its a hit against them.
Yes I have found this to be very true. I have updated the second post as part of the OP for resources pertaining to this subject. It is a start. I plan on filing complaints with NHTSA, DOT, FTC, and more. Toyota is going to hate me when I am finished with this rampage.
Old 10-13-2012, 03:33 PM   #26
Thin Blue Line

Bump for assistance. Second post updated with valuable info. I need your voices as well people. I'm doing this for all of us! Please understand I am not one of those people who has 1 thing break and suddenly l bash and hate on the manufacturer. I love Toyota and would by another Tacoma tomorrow, but when a manufacturer denies responsibility for a serious safety hazard, that's upsetting. This needs our attention and I refuse to pay $540-1000 every 1-3 years for new headlights because they don't hold up to their DOT and SAE ratings.

If this has happened to you, pleas file a complaint on NHTSA.gov as well as DOT and FTC if you have time, then post your case number. Every voice counts!
Old 10-13-2012, 03:51 PM   #27
Red
Large is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Large's Tacoma Gallery

Bump for this guy. Obviously a concern & obviously very frustrated with the typical dealer run around. My 06' did this to both lamps but I rock an 11' now.
Old 10-14-2012, 11:58 PM   #28
RadSurfTaco has a brilliant futureRadSurfTaco has a brilliant futureRadSurfTaco has a brilliant futureRadSurfTaco has a brilliant futureRadSurfTaco has a brilliant futureRadSurfTaco has a brilliant futureRadSurfTaco has a brilliant futureRadSurfTaco has a brilliant futureRadSurfTaco has a brilliant futureRadSurfTaco has a brilliant futureRadSurfTaco has a brilliant future

Name: Chris
RadSurfTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Good stuff, I am in agreement. I'd rather have Toyota fix a potential problem even though it hasn't happened to me (yet). I don't get that ridiculous attitude of some of the other posters, the whole 'change the bulbs urself' what a load of sht. The majority of Toyota owners are not on this thread, they are unaware that there is a potential problem (let alone danger). I am glad there are people taking their time for the betterment of others. Fk the sideline critics, fing aholes.
Old 10-15-2012, 07:26 AM   #29
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
If you are concerned this is inevitable , why wouldn't you change the bulbs now while you wait for Toyota to solve this issue rather than buy new headlights every three years as the OP states ?
Old 10-15-2012, 07:30 AM   #30
TenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
TenBeers's Tacoma Gallery
I used the Google and found the email address for the president of Toyota USA when my '09 did this just past warranty. I sent him an email outlining the fact that this was the 9th new Toyota I have bought over the years and it is the only one I have had to take in for warranty work (other than a Matrix that was missing some plastic clips on an underbody panel). My '09 had gone in for brakes, radio replacement, rear springs, dash rattle, and crappy Dunlop tires wearing funny and making wop wop noises. All of this was verifiable, they have all that data. I let them know that based on this experience, I was considering checking out other brands and that Toyota quality just didn't seem to be what it used to be.

They promptly called me and had me take it to the dealer, who took pictures and sent them to corporate. They replaced the lenses under goodwill.

I didn't bash them in the email, just stated some facts and that I was not impressed.

So far my 2012 has been flawless. I keep wondering if they take more pride and care with the top-of-the-line models than the base models. My 2012 is a DCSB TRD Off Road with pretty much everything, and my '09 was a plain-jane base DCSB with floor mats as the only option.
Old 10-16-2012, 07:13 AM   #31
dan33900 is on a distinguished road

Name: Dan
dan33900's Tacoma Gallery
My 09 DCSB has this problem also. I hope this leads to Toyota fixing the problem. Thanks OP.
Old 10-16-2012, 07:18 AM   #32
Red
Large is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Large's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
If you are concerned this is inevitable , why wouldn't you change the bulbs now while you wait for Toyota to solve this issue rather than buy new headlights every three years as the OP states ?
X2. Good idea to change the lamps when you first get the truck. But IMO, Toyota should fix it from the factory and fix all the ones melted thus far. It's clearly evident that this happens to a lot of headlamps.
Old 10-16-2012, 07:36 AM   #33
TenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shed

While it ticked me off and I did get mine replaced, it was more on principle than anything. I doubt that this poses a safety concern, and it is more cosmetic than anything. But on top of the other nitpicks I had with mine, it set me off enough to drive things to closure.

That said, if Toyota is going to charge $40 for the DTRL option, the lenses should be able to handle it. Otherwise they need to refund the $40 and remove the option.
Old 10-16-2012, 07:48 AM   #35
Dafuq
Who Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shedWho Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shedWho Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shedWho Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shedWho Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shedWho Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shedWho Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shedWho Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shedWho Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shedWho Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shedWho Dat Popcorn is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ricky
Who Dat Popcorn's Tacoma Gallery
$218 in labor to replace headlights????
Old 10-16-2012, 10:07 AM   #36
Thin Blue Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who Dat Popcorn View Post
$218 in labor to replace headlights????
I know right! I asked why so much, their response: well the grille has to come off to get the headlight out. I was thinking in my head: the grille is 2 pins and 2 screws that remove in about 30 seconds or less. Its insane!
Old 10-16-2012, 10:15 AM   #37

Grill and bumper have to come off, as well as those filler panels I am pretty sure. Then they will hit you with a fee to get them aimed properly.
Old 10-16-2012, 10:28 AM   #38
Just Enjoy Life!!
Fern is one of the sharper tools in the shedFern is one of the sharper tools in the shedFern is one of the sharper tools in the shedFern is one of the sharper tools in the shedFern is one of the sharper tools in the shedFern is one of the sharper tools in the shedFern is one of the sharper tools in the shedFern is one of the sharper tools in the shedFern is one of the sharper tools in the shedFern is one of the sharper tools in the shedFern is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: San Antonio Fire Department
Name: Fernando
Fern's Tacoma Gallery
My 09 did that to both left and right side. Dealer replaced both units under warranty. Then I traded it in for 2012
Old 10-18-2012, 01:18 PM   #39
a name known to all
luka has much to be proud ofluka has much to be proud ofluka has much to be proud ofluka has much to be proud ofluka has much to be proud ofluka has much to be proud ofluka has much to be proud ofluka has much to be proud ofluka has much to be proud of
Air Force: Jet Mech / Metals Tech
Name: Mike
luka's Tacoma Gallery
my 07 lenses melted...even changing the bulbs early on didn't help...didn't catch it until a few months after the 3 year warranty ran out...I recently paid for new 09-11 sport lights and converted my dtrl to a toggle switch, my truck only has 52k miles too, had around 32k when the 3 years ran out.

I have saved some of the other guys at work some hassle in catching it early for them..kind of like an uphill fight for something that shouldn't be an issue.