Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

09+ Melting DTRL Lens Recall Petition **URGENT**

Old 10-18-2012, 02:26 PM   #41
stewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shed

stewartx's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProForce View Post
(snip) this is an extreme fire hazard and risk to not only us owners, but our passengers and others on the road. Vehicle fires kill people. I am a highly experienced and knowledgeable in 12v electrical, and although it may not seem like a bubbling piece of plastic will do harm, don't be fooled. Our lives are in danger, and its going to take a vehicle fire or death for Toyota to finally recognize this hazard. (snip)
Has there been a reported case of this causing a fire? Hard to believe a piece of plastic slightly melting due to a nearby sealed heat source would be a fire hazard. There's no ignition source (open spark or flame) to start a fire. Beyond that, it's just cosmetics which doesn't adversely affect the safe operation of the vehicle. Based on that, while it would certainly be nice for Toyota to fix it, unlikely anyone (NHTSA, DOT, FTC, etc) would consider it a mandate.

I plan to keep an eye on mine (a 2012). So far, this area doesn't seem overly hot after driving. However, if I see even a hint of the problem, I'll replace the bulbs with lower wattage, lower temperature, ones. Might do so anyway as the bulbs burn out and are replaced.
Old 10-18-2012, 03:58 PM   #42
Thin Blue Line
ProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Anthony
ProForce's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by stewartx View Post
Has there been a reported case of this causing a fire? Hard to believe a piece of plastic slightly melting due to a nearby sealed heat source would be a fire hazard. There's no ignition source (open spark or flame) to start a fire. Beyond that, it's just cosmetics which doesn't adversely affect the safe operation of the vehicle. Based on that, while it would certainly be nice for Toyota to fix it, unlikely anyone (NHTSA, DOT, FTC, etc) would consider it a mandate.

I plan to keep an eye on mine (a 2012). So far, this area doesn't seem overly hot after driving. However, if I see even a hint of the problem, I'll replace the bulbs with lower wattage, lower temperature, ones. Might do so anyway as the bulbs burn out and are replaced.
Well thank you for your useless feedback and again discrediting my thread here. The whole point is to get a well known problem fixed, whether its a hazard or not, vehicle headlights should not just melt as normal wear and tear.

In the second post I have a list of links to other TW threads regarding this topic... click the first link that I labeled *pictures* please look at those lenses ans tell me that is not a risk. Also, read through just a couple of threads or just a few of nhtsa.gov complaints I listed, the majority of victims also stated that the wiring harness behind the dtrl bulb was also showing signs of heat damage and melting. Do you have any idea the amount of heat it takes to melt a wire like that!? An OEM wire beginning to melt is far beyond a cosmetic concern. I have installed for years, and have seen first hand what hot wires are capable of. Electrical fires start out of nowhere and will destroy your vehicle I'm second.

Oh and by the way, the problem is with the inner dtrl lens melting... 2012's have completely different headlights and don't even have this lens... the problem can't happen on something that doesn't exist. Your 2012 is fine.
Old 10-18-2012, 04:33 PM   #43
stewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shed

stewartx's Tacoma Gallery
You raised the specter of a fire, Anthony. My question was ligitimate. The rest was simple reality based on that, with an afterthought about my truck.
Old 10-18-2012, 04:41 PM   #44
Thin Blue Line
ProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewartx View Post
You raised the specter of a fire, Anthony. My question was ligitimate. The rest was simple reality based on that, with an afterthought about my truck.
Your right, but I am just getting frustrated with comments that discredited the purpose of this thread. I am spending hours researching things and been on hold with Toyota HQ trying to help those in need, and it seems like some people just want to question what I'm doing instead of helping. My apologies for sounding like an ass, I just can't show Toyota a thread where everyone is questioning the problem at hand. That makes me look stupid.
Old 10-18-2012, 05:01 PM   #45
Not very sporting to fire on an unarmed opponent.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
In the meantime , have you changed your bulbs ?
Old 10-18-2012, 05:03 PM   #46
Thin Blue Line

No, just unplugged dtrl harness. Don't want to modify it in any way at all until this is over.
Old 10-18-2012, 06:06 PM   #47
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
No, just unplugged dtrl harness. Don't want to modify it in any way at all until this is over.
That makes sense I guess , that would be illegal here though
Old 10-18-2012, 06:13 PM   #48
RoninTaco is on a distinguished road
Name: Scott
RoninTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Yea I've got this problem. My '09 is melting a hazy circle in front of the bulb and now a horizontal crack crosses from one side of the lens to the other, the crack is not that old but the melting has been going on for a while.
Old 10-20-2012, 12:54 PM   #50
Thin Blue Line

Yeah, I have it listed in the second post.
Old 10-20-2012, 03:46 PM   #51

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Yeah, I have it listed in the second post.
My bad
Old 10-20-2012, 05:01 PM   #52
Thin Blue Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
My bad
Lol no worries.
Old 12-02-2012, 01:20 PM   #53
TRD TACO is on a distinguished road

Name: Doug
TRD TACO's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who Dat Popcorn View Post
$218 in labor to replace headlights????

Man that is cheap!!! The dealer quoted me 850!!!! but that was for the lenses..

I went to the dealer one after noon for the "Lurch" forward in my transmission. When I got there the service manager noticed that the DRLs were melting the lenses.. He even said this is a TSB and can be covered under warranty. He then went on to tell me that they could not do that day because of being short staffed. At this point I was 2 months before my warranty expired and he explained to me that it wouldnt be an issue because he would note it in my file, and the next time I came in that I could have it done. 3 Months later I went in to get them fixed and the service manager never did note it in my paper work! Thats when he quoted me 850 to replace the lenses. He said this is a very common issue with these year models. When I told him he was CRAZY if the thought I was going to pay 850 bucks for something that is a known issue with Toyota he instructed me to call corporate and open a case. So I called Toyota and opened up a claim on my 09 Tacoma. Both of my DRLs are melting the lenses I only have 32,000m on my truck but I have had it for 2 months longer than the 3 year warranty. They directed me back to the customer service manager at the dealership and said that since the truck is out of warranty (only by 2 months at this time) they would not be able to fix it under warranty..

I have been a loyal Toyota buyer for years.. hell my dad even sells them.. I have had 3 Camary's (for my wife )and my Tacoma. After this customer experience on something as simple as headlight lenses I will be considering getting a Jeep on my next purchase. I am very unhappy that I was basically blown off. However in the mean time I am getting some LED bulbs to prevent further damage. If any of you other guys have the same issues please take the time and report it. It may not seem like that big of a deal, but its more principle than anything.
Old 12-02-2012, 03:17 PM   #54
Thin Blue Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRD TACO View Post
Man that is cheap!!! The dealer quoted me 850!!!! but that was for the lenses..

I went to the dealer one after noon for the "Lurch" forward in my transmission. When I got there the service manager noticed that the DRLs were melting the lenses.. He even said this is a TSB and can be covered under warranty. He then went on to tell me that they could not do that day because of being short staffed. At this point I was 2 months before my warranty expired and he explained to me that it wouldnt be an issue because he would note it in my file, and the next time I came in that I could have it done. 3 Months later I went in to get them fixed and the service manager never did note it in my paper work! Thats when he quoted me 850 to replace the lenses. He said this is a very common issue with these year models. When I told him he was CRAZY if the thought I was going to pay 850 bucks for something that is a known issue with Toyota he instructed me to call corporate and open a case. So I called Toyota and opened up a claim on my 09 Tacoma. Both of my DRLs are melting the lenses I only have 32,000m on my truck but I have had it for 2 months longer than the 3 year warranty. They directed me back to the customer service manager at the dealership and said that since the truck is out of warranty (only by 2 months at this time) they would not be able to fix it under warranty..

I have been a loyal Toyota buyer for years.. hell my dad even sells them.. I have had 3 Camary's (for my wife )and my Tacoma. After this customer experience on something as simple as headlight lenses I will be considering getting a Jeep on my next purchase. I am very unhappy that I was basically blown off. However in the mean time I am getting some LED bulbs to prevent further damage. If any of you other guys have the same issues please take the time and report it. It may not seem like that big of a deal, but its more principle than anything.
Exactly!! This is about principle, not the issue. I am also ordering LEDs but can't decide if I want switchbacks or I want to stick with orange. Although the switchbacks are sweet, I really kinda like the orange look. Its going to take a fire before this goes any further with Toyota.
Old 12-02-2012, 03:25 PM   #55
TRD TACO is on a distinguished road

Name: Doug
TRD TACO's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Exactly!! This is about principle, not the issue. I am also ordering LEDs but can't decide if I want switchbacks or I want to stick with orange. Although the switchbacks are sweet, I really kinda like the orange look. Its going to take a fire before this goes any further with Toyota.
I was thinking the same.. I think I am gonig to stick with orange unless it is fairly easy to do the switchback mod.. At the same time I am going to do the LED Dome, Map lights x2, reverse lights as well.

It really does stink in my case since I don't drive my truck as much as these other guys my issue started late around the 34 month mark. And my dealer is the one that pointed it out to me and they still didnt fix it while I was in warranty due to a "paperwork" error....

Also another thing to note.. I bet you see more of this issue in the southern states where you have the 110+degree summers.
Old 12-02-2012, 03:52 PM   #56
TenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shedTenBeers is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
TenBeers's Tacoma Gallery
They can fix it under what they call "goodwill" -- every dealer has a goodwill budget. I would tell them to fix it or you aren't coming back, period.

I got mine fixed that way.
Old 12-02-2012, 04:08 PM   #57
It burns when I pee....
ABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
ABA180's Tacoma Gallery
I just bought a 2010 and it doesn't have DTRL's. Is this still something I may have an issue with? If so which bulb?
Old 12-02-2012, 04:14 PM   #58
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABA180 View Post
I just bought a 2010 and it doesn't have DTRL's. Is this still something I may have an issue with? If so which bulb?
No DRL = No issue.

The problem is the 4157 lamp being on any time the truck is running (but the headlights are off). Without DRL, it is only a turn signal and poses no problem.
Old 12-02-2012, 04:32 PM   #59
othater is a glorious beacon of lightothater is a glorious beacon of lightothater is a glorious beacon of lightothater is a glorious beacon of lightothater is a glorious beacon of light
othater's Tacoma Gallery
2006 with burnt dtrl
Old 12-02-2012, 05:21 PM   #60
It burns when I pee....
ABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
ABA180's Tacoma Gallery
Good deal, thanks for the clarification..