Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

09+ Melting DTRL Lens Recall Petition **URGENT**

Old 12-23-2012, 03:20 PM   #61
gearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: training officer
Name: TW certified keyboard mechanic
gearcruncher's Tacoma Gallery
Never noticed my Day time running lights until I was lurking and noticed this thread .
My 2010 has melted from the rear of the headlight housing , not the front as shown in the pics .
Too add to the frustration , my wiring harness that holds both bulbs in place is also melted . I am glad i was able to catch this in time . The lights come on with the command start and with the truck running in my garage , I wouldnt want a fire to start . I think its just a matter of time before one of these catches fire . They must get very very hot . I did order aftermarket LED,s for the DTRL but will not be installing until I talk with the dealer .hopefully they will replace the complete headlight assembly
Old 01-22-2013, 12:48 AM   #62
jaymay82 is on a distinguished road
jaymay82's Tacoma Gallery
2013's have the option of turning off the dtrl's. Yay yeah
Old 01-22-2013, 02:09 AM   #63
Thin Blue Line
ProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Anthony
ProForce's Tacoma Gallery
Toyota was being a PITA so I said screw it. Bought a replacement DRL lense only for $9 and just added an on/off switch for them myself until I replace with LEDs
Old 01-23-2013, 04:43 AM   #64
gearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: training officer
Name: TW certified keyboard mechanic
gearcruncher's Tacoma Gallery
Had the opportunity to speak with the service manager at the stealership .
First he said that he had never seen or heard of the issue before ,then he told me that I have not been installing the bulbs properly causing the burning issue on the wiring harness for both day time running lights and giving me a dirty look as he was explaining this to me .
You gotta click them into place and you cant use aftermarket bulbs .
Told him I have always used the genuine Toyota bulbs and have been clicking them into place .
I showed him the technical service bulletin and he laughed at me .
Thats when I walked out the door .
Lets just say on that day , that dealership lost a good paying customer !!!!!
Guess I will be replacing everything myself and installing the LED bulbs .
Old 01-23-2013, 02:40 PM   #65
3ps14 is on a distinguished road

3ps14's Tacoma Gallery
I didn't know that other members have had this issue, I just replaced my whole headlamp housings due to not having an oven to open the headlight and also due to the haziness of my headlamp housings. I too had my DTRL melt and crack. ~ 100k miles.
Old 01-23-2013, 02:48 PM   #66
Greenbergler is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreenbergler is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreenbergler is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreenbergler is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreenbergler is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreenbergler is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreenbergler is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreenbergler is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreenbergler is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreenbergler is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreenbergler is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Corey
Greenbergler's Tacoma Gallery
my 08 hasnt melted yet but my cousins 08 is starting to melt and my brother in laws 07 are melting
Old 01-25-2013, 01:00 AM   #67
Deceased
Lagunito is on a distinguished road

Lagunito's Tacoma Gallery
09 and melted bubbling DTRL lenses

I am planing on going to the dealership for this to be corrected.
I didn't know this thread even exsisted, I suggest it is brought to the attention of a moderator or administrator to make this thread a sticky.

Thank you for starting this thread.
Old 01-25-2013, 01:04 AM   #68
Deceased
Lagunito is on a distinguished road

Lagunito's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProForce View Post
Toyota was being a PITA so I said screw it. Bought a replacement DRL lense only for $9 and just added an on/off switch for them myself until I replace with LEDs
Do you have a link, source, or part number to the lense you bought?
Old 01-25-2013, 02:01 AM   #69
Thin Blue Line
ProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagunito View Post
Do you have a link, source, or part number to the lense you bought?
As far as I am aware, the lens cannot be purchased separately. It is built inside the headlight assembly and cannot be replaced without baking your lights to open them (see bhlm how-to for instructions on this). I got my lenses from someone who does retrofits as a local service here and had a bunch laying around from people who chose not to put the lens back in after doing the bhlm. He is out now. I have a set (1 driver and 1 passenger side lens) and only plan on replacing my driver side. May be willing to part with passenger side lens only if someone really needs it.
Old 01-25-2013, 02:40 AM   #70
Bat is on a distinguished road

Bat's Tacoma Gallery
Had the problem on my 10. Under warranty and dealer replaced no problem.
Old 01-26-2013, 01:00 AM   #71
Thin Blue Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bat View Post
Had the problem on my 10. Under warranty and dealer replaced no problem.
Yeah because of the current TSB that is out, dealers don't have a whole lot of choice on the matter if your within original 3/36 warranty. As soon as you hit 36,001 miles though, most dealers find no reason to help, even with extended warranties. My Toyota ExtraCare Platinum 10yr/100k warranty even denied the claim.
Old 02-02-2013, 11:51 PM   #72
pabl0 is on a distinguished road
pabl0's Tacoma Gallery
I have a '09 Tacoma X-runner and have no melting or burn marks, I see a lot of Tacoma's around here and have never seen any of them with this problem either.
Old 02-03-2013, 01:50 AM   #73
Thin Blue Line

Interesting. I took a drive to 3 local dealers and looked and every single used 2nd gen Tacoma for sale at all 3 dealers. Didn't find a single truck that did NOT have this issue. It really seems to be hit and miss.
Old 02-27-2013, 10:19 AM   #74
davidbgtx is on a distinguished road
davidbgtx's Tacoma Gallery
Melted lens

Just bought 2009 Tacoma access cab, with 42000 miles. My lens are melted and cracked over the amber bulbs. Wish me luck when I take it to the dealer.
Old 02-27-2013, 06:54 PM   #75
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidbgtx View Post
Just bought 2009 Tacoma access cab, with 42000 miles. My lens are melted and cracked over the amber bulbs. Wish me luck when I take it to the dealer.
2009 is out of warranty, they'll be happy to replace them for $700 unless Toyota issues a recall between now and when you take it in.
Old 02-27-2013, 07:18 PM   #76
Royden is on a distinguished road
Royden's Tacoma Gallery
In my '05 I replaced both DTRL's with LEDs. Lenses were showing signs of heat issues, the wire harness slightly melted and brown was more disturbing to me. Obviously too much heat generated by the original bulbs. Led's aren't as bright but safer.
Old 04-07-2013, 05:30 PM   #77
Txfly is on a distinguished road
Txfly's Tacoma Gallery
There is a thread here that if you replace the 4157's w/ 3157's you'll be in good shape.
I, of course was too late to find this out, and my dealer has "generously" offered to replace them for $500 dollars...after I called Toyota to file a complaint and they transferred me (after I told them I was out of warranty and it's bullshit business, the TSB runs for six..YES, SIX model years!!!!! '05-'11).

Here is a post I made in another thread about this BS:

"I called Toyota corporate and filed a complaint just to get it on the record.
(They offered to pay half, pffft.) 800-331-4331

Also filed w/ the DOT here: https://www.oig.dot.gov/dot-oig-hotline-complaint-form

And another here: https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/ (Safecar.gov)

I would recommend that you fill out the DOT forms and explain that this is a safety issue and not just a cosmetic one.

Here was my comment:

"Daytime Running Lights are too hot causing the plastic lenses to crack, melt, and burn.
Toyota is treating this as purely cosmetic in T-SB # 0129-11 (for 6 model years they were aware of it).
This listing should be changed to a safety recall, that amount of heat could start a vehicle fire."

Here's the thread: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...un-lights.html
Old 04-08-2013, 05:58 PM   #78
FOX HOUND
Aeon is on a distinguished road

Aeon's Tacoma Gallery
hey follows my thread

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...-daylight.html
Old 04-12-2013, 06:55 PM   #79
FOX HOUND
Aeon is on a distinguished road

Aeon's Tacoma Gallery
Damn.... I have 64,000 miles
Old 04-18-2013, 05:32 AM   #80
Sje1124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSje1124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSje1124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSje1124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSje1124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSje1124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSje1124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSje1124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSje1124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSje1124 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSje1124 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Boatswains Mate
Name: Sean
Sje1124's Tacoma Gallery
Just saw that my DTRLs are melting on my 2010. Dealer wants $450 each installed.