Notices

09+ Melting DTRL Lens Recall Petition **URGENT**

Old 07-02-2013, 04:41 PM   #101
Monkey Sweat
Bubbarr is on a distinguished road

Marines: Sgt
Name: Duane
Bubbarr's Tacoma Gallery
Well Great News! Toyota just called me and told me they will fix my melted DTRLs for free. I guess my BBB complaint worked!!
Old 07-02-2013, 07:07 PM   #102
Thin Blue Line
ProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Anthony
ProForce's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrod45 View Post
or, maybe part of the answer it to turn off the dtrl as it seems to me this is the source of the heat, rather than use of the turn signal. anyone have the quick trick for doing this?
I did this for now until i find some nice bright leds that dont cost a fortune! Only problem is i REALLY like the look of the orange DRLs during the day and they also work great at night for when im pulling in my driveway and turn the lights off so they dont shine in all the windows, the DRLs still give a perfect amount of light to see and park.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbarr View Post
Well Great News! Toyota just called me and told me they will fix my melted DTRLs for free. I guess my BBB complaint worked!!

Looks like I'll be filing my complaint when I get home!

Care to share what you wrote? I'd be really interested in reading it.
Old 08-08-2013, 09:38 AM   #103
Ragin Cajun
Plik has a brilliant futurePlik has a brilliant futurePlik has a brilliant futurePlik has a brilliant futurePlik has a brilliant futurePlik has a brilliant futurePlik has a brilliant futurePlik has a brilliant futurePlik has a brilliant futurePlik has a brilliant futurePlik has a brilliant future

Plik's Tacoma Gallery
I just noticed that my driver side headlamp is starting to develop this melting problem.. Luckily I'm still under warranty. Looks like I'll be heading over to the dealership this weekend.
Old 08-16-2013, 11:36 PM   #104
4th MAW
ETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shedETAV8R is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: MASS 6 El Toro
ETAV8R's Tacoma Gallery
Just noticed this wonderful problem with my 09. I'll keep my fingers crossed they cover it under the extended warranty.
Old 08-29-2013, 08:19 AM   #105
Ragin Cajun
Plik has a brilliant futurePlik has a brilliant futurePlik has a brilliant futurePlik has a brilliant futurePlik has a brilliant futurePlik has a brilliant futurePlik has a brilliant futurePlik has a brilliant futurePlik has a brilliant futurePlik has a brilliant futurePlik has a brilliant future

Plik's Tacoma Gallery
Just got back from the dealer.. they will be replacing both headlights under warranty.. no problem. Parts are being overnighted (from Ja-pan ) for 8 am tomorrow. I'm going to see if I can get them to let me keep the old lamps.
Old 09-01-2013, 03:38 PM   #106
redcbs is just really niceredcbs is just really niceredcbs is just really niceredcbs is just really niceredcbs is just really nice

Name: Christopher
redcbs's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to redcbs Send a message via Skype™ to redcbs
Saw this thread and went out to check mine. Driver's side just started and passenger's is ok. I'm out of warranty by 6 mos. Anyone had any luck getting this fixed out of warranty? A few posts said they were going to try xyz but never posted results...
Old 09-18-2013, 03:41 PM   #107
robnolan is on a distinguished road

Name: Rob
robnolan's Tacoma Gallery
*BUMP*
Just noticed the lens containing the DTRL finally cracked completely in half, the top half is leaning out against the outer lens...I give it a couple drives before the thing is shaken loose and starts sliding around inside my head light. Good news: some new retrofit projector headlights with the BHLM already done are on their way and so are a new set of 3157 LED amber bulbs..problem soon to be solved.

I'll take a pic of the broken lens when it stops raining
Old 09-20-2013, 11:45 AM   #108

Here are the pics I mentioned. As of now both are cracked completely across and one of the lenses is just hanging out

Fugly..can't wait to get my new lenses in!
Old 09-20-2013, 08:29 PM   #109
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Another member said that he knocked them loose and reached in with needle-nose pliers, broke them smaller (really brittle) and fished the pieces out.
Old 09-21-2013, 06:07 PM   #110

Sounds like quite a bit of work..did he take the headlight out and remove the pieces through the hole for bulb? Or remove the outer lens and do it from the front? Maybe something to do down the road..I should have new lenses coming soon though these old ones are gonna sit for a while
Old 09-21-2013, 07:01 PM   #111
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Sounded like he did it through the hole for the lamp.
Wouldn't need needle nose if you cook the housing in an oven and open it up.
Old 11-12-2013, 12:06 PM   #112
printman2000 is on a distinguished road
printman2000's Tacoma Gallery
I must brag on my local dealer. I bought my 09 Tacoma from them used in 2009 with around 5,000 miles on it. A couple of weeks ago I noticed my lenses has started to melt and one was cracked all the way across. That is when I found this thread.

I am currently at 55,000 miles so no warranty at all. I went ahead and emailed the service manager at my local (and only) dealer and included pictures. She emailed me back saying they would replacement them at no charge to me!

Dropped it off this morning and already picked it up. They replaced the whole headlights on both sides. Looks great. My only concern now is if it will happen again.

My dealer is Street Toyota in Amarillo, Texas. They are now my dealership of choice!
Old 11-12-2013, 04:57 PM   #113
CowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
CowboyTaco's Tacoma Gallery
I'll chime in here. I noticed my headlights doing this a few weeks back. I stopped in Texas Toyota of Grapevine as I drove past one day and just asked a service writer about the problem. I knew it was common problem from research I did on here. The service writer told me that I was the third person to come in with this problem that week, and that was on a Wednesday or Thursday. He gave me the number to open a case to see about getting the goodwill warranty.

I waited about a week and called them to report the issue. They took a few days, but said that the dealership would cover the cost of labor in the amount of $241 (I think), and that Toyota corp would cover $300 toward to cost of parts. I figured that would cover the issue and I was a happy camper.

I called the dealership to setup the repair today and found out that the $300 is not the full amount of the parts for repair. I didn't realize that the headlamp assembly cost $341 each! I am completely dumbfounded that Toyota would expect anyone to pay out of pocket for something that is clearly a design flaw.

I called the corporate number back today to have them re-evaluate my case. The guy I spoke to said that he would have someone review the case and contact me back by this coming Friday. I really hope that they will cover the full repair. However, regardless of the outcome, this is very frustrating.

OP, What was your outcome?
Old 11-12-2013, 05:04 PM   #114
"GO DUCKS" Edition
Oregon TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedOregon TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedOregon TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedOregon TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedOregon TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedOregon TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedOregon TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedOregon TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedOregon TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedOregon TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedOregon TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ross
Oregon TRD's Tacoma Gallery
Ruined 2 sets of headlights for me. Pissed pissed pissed

I just recently cut the magic green wire. Wish I would of figured that trick out 7 years ago.
Old 11-12-2013, 05:06 PM   #115
"GO DUCKS" Edition
Oregon TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedOregon TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedOregon TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedOregon TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedOregon TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedOregon TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedOregon TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedOregon TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedOregon TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedOregon TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedOregon TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnolan View Post
Here are the pics I mentioned. As of now both are cracked completely across and one of the lenses is just hanging out

Fugly..can't wait to get my new lenses in!
EXACTLY what mine looked like. I took the lamp out of the housing, used screwdriver to push those lenses out the shook my headlight to get the pieces to the opening. Then too tin snips to get the rest of the pieces cut and out the hole.

Old 11-12-2013, 05:07 PM   #116
"GO DUCKS" Edition

I figured since mine is an 05......then too far too gone.
Old 11-14-2013, 02:19 PM   #117
TacomaRy is on a distinguished road
Name: Ryan
TacomaRy's Tacoma Gallery
Melting headlight

I just found this problem on my 09 Taco as well. Stock headlight and bulb. 78k miles. Who knows how long it has been going on.

I have the 100k extended warranty. They claim headlights are not mechanical so they will not be covered.

Toyota HQ is willing to pay for parts but not labor. Which is always odd, it is like they are half accepting responsibility.

Cost to replace both assembly's = $650 (parts only) Labor = $250

I feel Toyota should accept full responsibility, it is a design flaw not normal wear and tear. Melting headlights?!

Disappointed..
Old 11-14-2013, 03:16 PM   #118
"GO DUCKS" Edition

Just called my buddy at Toyota on this shit. Hope he calls back with good news.
Old 11-14-2013, 03:17 PM   #119
"GO DUCKS" Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacomaRy View Post
I just found this problem on my 09 Taco as well. Stock headlight and bulb. 78k miles. Who knows how long it has been going on.

I have the 100k extended warranty. They claim headlights are not mechanical so they will not be covered.

Toyota HQ is willing to pay for parts but not labor. Which is always odd, it is like they are half accepting responsibility.

I feel Toyota should accept full responsibility, it is a design flaw not normal wear and tear. Melting headlights?!

Disappointed..

labor? $250 to put the new headlights on?

Holy shit. That takes 15 minutes.
Old 11-14-2013, 05:28 PM   #120

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacomaRy View Post

I'd take that deal.
Tell them where to ship the lights. It's an hour job to replace them, just need a 1/4" drive 10mm socket and a flexible arm to get up under the bumper to get the 4th bolt.