1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

09+ Melting DTRL Lens Recall Petition

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by ProForce, Oct 12, 2012.

1. Jan 9, 2014 at 7:43 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    How's the petition working out ?

2. Jan 10, 2014 at 12:27 AM
    ProForce

ProForce [OP] IG @proforce.expeditions OB#5411

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    SoCal - Fontana
    Vehicle:
    09 MGM TRD Sport DCSB 4.0 Auto 2wd
    Too many to list. See build page. Link in signature
    Its not :( Now this is more of a thread to come and share the info. The plan was to have more people participate in this and then show the thread to Toyota. There isnt nearly enough complaints in here to make anything happen yet. If I had 1-2 thousand members with same problem in here and most woth pics and years liated then I could make a stand.

3. Jan 11, 2014 at 5:50 AM
    Yayarisa

Yayarisa Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    San Antonio
    Vehicle:
    2011 SR5
    How were you able to get labor waived and reimbursed for cost of lights? I should be getting a call in couple days and would like advice on you did this. It would be appreciated.

4. Feb 19, 2014 at 7:32 PM
    Chilli Taco

Chilli Taco Senior Member

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    2010 4x4 SR5 V6
    Toyota Front Bug Guard, Vent Shades, UWS Low profile Toolbox, Husky Floor Liners, Tacoma Rubber Bed Mat, 3 ball with tow hook trailer hitch, Nerf bars, EZ clamp on tailgate, overhead console with compass and temp, Transmission smoothness TSB, Rear 4 leaf spring pack TSB with 4 new Bilstein TRD shocks, Back up camera, JBS Keypad Entry, 2" blind spot safety mirrors, Leaf spring squeak TSB spacer discs,TSB AC/Heater Blower motor 04043, aFe Pro-Dry S Air Filter, Toytec AAL for TSB leafs, TSB redesigned headlights, GMC 5702KA Bulbs in DRL's, DRL switch mod, Illuminated 4x4 switch mod, 2010 4runner heated signal mirrors with puddle lights and 2013 Tacoma color matched mirror covers, bed lights, NOS GMC under hood reel light, TacomaWorld.com sticker on back window,fog lights on anytime mod, hidden ignition kill switch, TRD Skid plate painted black, TRD front recovery hook, console vault, Avid Off-road Light bar, 6" KC Daylighters
    I just noticed this past weekend when I was washing my 2010 Tacoma that my drivers side DRL lens is starting to bubble just like pictures others have posted. I saw the TSB about it after searching a couple of threads. Problem is I have 47K miles. I figured what have I got to loose. I called the dealership. Since I was out of warranty they had to contact corporate. They called me back the next day. The best they can do for me is replace both headlights with the redesigned ones. I don't pay for the parts for the TSB only the labor. They won't give them to me and let me do the labor. Best price they will give me is $200 for labor. I'm going to take it in on Fri and have them do it. Soon as I have time After I'm going to do the mod I saw on here where you put a switch on the DRL's so I can turn them on and off when I want to. Also searching for a cooler burning bulb. May go with LED not sure yet? Any suggestions on better bulb with no problems welcomed.

5. Feb 20, 2014 at 2:05 AM
    ZEROPILOT

ZEROPILOT Can't re-MEMBER

Member:
    First Name:
    ED
    SUNRISE,FLORIDA
    Vehicle:
    09 2.7 XTRA CAB 5 SPEED
    LARGER WHEELS. DIFFERENT STEREO. PUSH BAR. TAILGATE EXTENDER. WIPER MOD. TPMS LIGHT DELETE MOD.
    My 2009 melted and I've replaced them with some Euro-looking SPEC-D Halo/projector lights. I replaced the daytime running, blinker lights with LEDs and did the flasher shave down mod to get the flasher rate normal. It is. However the LED blinkers will only work anytime the running lights are OFF, as in when the headlights are on or when you first start the truck and before you release the parking brake. They work great. Any time the DTRLs are lit, the blinkers wont blink, (but the blinker indicator on the dash blinks.) Has anyone figured out how to disable the DTRLs? Without disconnecting the flashers, also?

6. Feb 20, 2014 at 4:32 AM
    Yayarisa

Yayarisa Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    San Antonio
    Vehicle:
    2011 SR5
    I posted a question regarding melting DTRL's a few months ago. I, too, was told by my dealer that the lens was melting and given corporates number. In the end after much back and forth, I was given a "goodwill" warranty to cover replacement. I also complained to NHTSA. I wish everyone would. Strength in numbers.

7. Feb 20, 2014 at 6:41 AM
    CowboyTaco

CowboyTaco $20 is $20

Member:
    North Georgia
    Vehicle:
    11 TRD Sport
    No. Each.

If you find a set for that price, post a link on here to help others.

Lots of persuasive conversations. Persistence. Persistence is key.

Redesigned ones? I was told that there was no redesign (except for 2012+ models). They told me that it was a one time good faith warranty and that they would not cover it when (not if, but when) it happened again.

Cut the green/red wire. I installed the switch. However, cutting the green/red wire will kill the DTRL while still allowing the blinkers to work normally.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/lighting/85326-dtrl-toggle-switch-mod-stealth-mode.html

Now I don't have to worry about my headlights melting again!

8. Feb 20, 2014 at 8:35 AM
    ZEROPILOT

Member:
    First Name:
    ED
    SUNRISE,FLORIDA
    Vehicle:
    09 2.7 XTRA CAB 5 SPEED
    LARGER WHEELS. DIFFERENT STEREO. PUSH BAR. TAILGATE EXTENDER. WIPER MOD. TPMS LIGHT DELETE MOD.
    I'm pretty sure no one would replace my five year old headlights. They almost didn't replace my crappy radio. I had to call Toyota corporate. There was a long history of it not working properly. I never complained about the lights. They melted just as the warranty ended.

9. Feb 20, 2014 at 10:35 AM
    medic2230

medic2230 @Koditten Pirate Radio member #002

Member:
    First Name:
    Murph
    Bama! Roll Tide
    Vehicle:
    2011 Taco 4x4 DCLB 2019 TRD PRO 4runner 2018 RAM 2500 mega cab
    20% Tint, OME 3"complete lift with Dakar's, Light Racing UCA's, 285/75/16 Nitto Terra Grapplers, 10 HP TW sticker, Ultraguage, B.A.M.F. Rock Sliders, MedicFab Bed Rack, Relentless front bumper, Air Flow Snorkel, Ham comms, Tech Deck
    My '11 has plastic lenses in it and are melting. There isn't any glass in mine.

10. Feb 20, 2014 at 10:58 AM
    CowboyTaco

CowboyTaco $20 is $20

Member:
    North Georgia
    Vehicle:
    11 TRD Sport
    Mine is also a 2011. Either they changed it mid year, or your information is not accurate. They did specifically tell me that nothing had changed in the headlight, so they would not warranty it when it happens again.

11. Feb 20, 2014 at 5:32 PM
    redcbs

redcbs Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Christopher
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    '11 4x4 Off-Road AT
    Full 3" OME Lift, Sport Shocks with top plate spacers and 885 coils, Light Racing UCA, Sport shocks and Dakar leaf springs, Avid Light bar, Avid Step rails, Grillcraft grille with 70's Land Cruiser emblem, custom vinyl stickers, window tint, selective debadging, fog light anytime mod
    Chillax. I have a 2011 trd offroad. Mine melted, and I was able to have them replaced at no cost a few months back. (stated I brought the tsb to them when I bought the truck, but that they refused to fix until there was a problem. Now there was a problem and conveniently out of warranty. They agreed and replaced.)

They replaced the headlight assembly and they had indeed been redesigned. I will post before and after pictures if needed. The changes are subtle but the dtrl lens is smaller and of a different material (I assume glass). Review the most current tsb and it will include the different part number for the replacement headlight assembly (vs stock) for the '11. Maybe they changed the stock mid year 11, maybe not, idk, but if they said they provided a replacement that would melt again I'd check the part number and go back with the most recent tsb in hand if it doesn't match the redesign.

12. Feb 20, 2014 at 7:32 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    Technical
    Service
    Bulletin

Safety issues result in a recall. A TSB is simple a troubleshooting assistance memorandum issued to the service departments.
    They are not intended for general public release, and they are not covered for free outside of warranty.

If you are lucky, sometimes you can get an extended warranty to cover a TSB, but it is not typical.

13. Feb 21, 2014 at 7:23 PM
    Chilli Taco

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    2010 4x4 SR5 V6
    Toyota Front Bug Guard, Vent Shades, UWS Low profile Toolbox, Husky Floor Liners, Tacoma Rubber Bed Mat, 3 ball with tow hook trailer hitch, Nerf bars, EZ clamp on tailgate, overhead console with compass and temp, Transmission smoothness TSB, Rear 4 leaf spring pack TSB with 4 new Bilstein TRD shocks, Back up camera, JBS Keypad Entry, 2" blind spot safety mirrors, Leaf spring squeak TSB spacer discs,TSB AC/Heater Blower motor 04043, aFe Pro-Dry S Air Filter, Toytec AAL for TSB leafs, TSB redesigned headlights, GMC 5702KA Bulbs in DRL's, DRL switch mod, Illuminated 4x4 switch mod, 2010 4runner heated signal mirrors with puddle lights and 2013 Tacoma color matched mirror covers, bed lights, NOS GMC under hood reel light, TacomaWorld.com sticker on back window,fog lights on anytime mod, hidden ignition kill switch, TRD Skid plate painted black, TRD front recovery hook, console vault, Avid Off-road Light bar, 6" KC Daylighters
    My update: OMG! I wasted 3 hours of my life today sitting at Toyota! I took my truck in to have the TSB done. I was told they had the parts in to do it. Since I'm at 47K they are covering the parts I just have to pay $200 for the labor. So after 3 hours they tell me it's finally finished. I paid them then walked out to the parking lot. I looked at the lens. Looked good but didn't really see a difference in the design from before. Then I looked at the paperwork from the work they had done. They had replaced them with the old part numbers 81150-04163 and 81110-04163 instead of the redesigned model that is not supposed to melt as stated in the TSB parts 81150-04200 and 81110-04200. I went inside to complain. First they tried to say that well sometimes when they update a part the part number doesn't update in the computer printout. I told them I don't believe that because I have had a TSB done before and my invoice had correct part numbers on it. Of course the service manager had left for the day but I won't leaving til it got straight! The guy helping me finally went in the back and found the boxes the parts were in and said the part numbers they used were the old parts. He finally admitted it and said he would order the correct parts from the warehouse. They will be here next week. Now I have to spend another afternoon waiting on them to install again! I do have a question though? Where is the part number located on the headlight? Is it where I can pop the hood and look before I leave there next time. I don't want them to just change the number on my invoice and stick me with the same old lens! If anyone knows please let me know. I will try to look this weekend and see if I can find the numbers printed anywhere on the assembly.

14. Feb 21, 2014 at 7:42 PM
    Txfly

Txfly Well-Known Member

Member:
    WNC
    Vehicle:
    It's silver
    '09 Dbl cab, TRD suspension plus 2" lift, LEDS, FJ TRD rims. All around pretty mild.
    Chilli,
    From what I understand, you can replace the bulb w/ a cooler model for 2 bucks.

For those of you too lazy to read the whole thread.....read the whole thread.
    There are DOT websites posted to complain that this is a safety issue, not just a cosmetic issue as Toyota claims.

15. Feb 21, 2014 at 7:45 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    My '09 lenses are on all the time and are still mint

16. Feb 21, 2014 at 8:00 PM
    Chilli Taco

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    2010 4x4 SR5 V6
    Txfly,

I do have a pair of the cooler GMC bulbs 5702KA that I plan on putting in as soon as they replace the light assembly with the updated headlight. My problem is my headlight had already started to melt so I wanted them replaced and if I'm going to pay them $200 then they are going to put in the correct modified lights for me. I know Toyota has a different bulb also 3157NALL to replace the 4157NALL but from post I have read these bulbs are still melting peoples lens. Once they install the modified headlights I plan on putting the GMC bulbs in and doing the DTRL switch Mod so I can turn them off and on when I want to. After all that I should never have this problem again!

Last edited: Feb 21, 2014
  17. Feb 21, 2014 at 10:59 PM
    Txfly

Txfly Well-Known Member

Member:
    WNC
    Vehicle:
    It's silver
    '09 Dbl cab, TRD suspension plus 2" lift, LEDS, FJ TRD rims. All around pretty mild.
    I recall reading a thread/ poll about a two lead (wire) set up and a three lead set up, one burned, one didn't....Hell, my sockets are even burned.

18. Feb 21, 2014 at 11:12 PM
    Txfly

Txfly Well-Known Member

Member:
    WNC
    Vehicle:
    It's silver
    I hear ya....The "good faith" offer they gave me was $500 installed (lights were free, that was labor)...I told them to just replace the lights and I'd do it myself, no go.

This is my first Toyota and possibly my last, It doesn't seem to be built any better than a Ford or Chevy these days....I take that back, I may get an old FJ 40 if I buy another, but def not a newer one. Not just the truck itself, but the bullshit the dealer shells out to you.
    The ABS is shit, VSC is shit, payload is shit (even w/ TSB), DRL are shit, mudflaps fall off (from snow load)...more.

Anybody test drive one of the new Mitsubishi trucks?
    I've owned two Monteros that were both badass.
    (Sorry, didn't mean to rant and highjack)

19. Feb 22, 2014 at 8:04 PM
    ZEROPILOT

Member:
    First Name:
    ED
    SUNRISE,FLORIDA
    Vehicle:
    09 2.7 XTRA CAB 5 SPEED
    These are "made in America" Toyota's. My Tacoma has had several issues that my Yaris and Scion XB have not.

20. Feb 23, 2014 at 6:15 PM
    Txfly

Txfly Well-Known Member

Member:
    WNC
    Vehicle:
    It's silver
    I saw a bumper sticker the other day that made me giggle (and throw up a little)...
    "My truck was built with in the US with wrenches, not chopsticks"

I was thinking "unfortunately so was my Tacoma".

Products Discussed in

To Top