1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

09+ Melting DTRL Lens Recall Petition

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by ProForce, Oct 12, 2012.

1. Oct 12, 2012 at 4:54 PM
    ProForce

ProForce [OP] IG @proforce.expeditions OB#5411

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    SoCal - Fontana
    Vehicle:
    09 MGM TRD Sport DCSB 4.0 Auto 2wd
    Too many to list. See build page. Link in signature
    UPDATE:For those of you in this thread having headlight problems, there is now GREAT news!

Toyota has begun sending "Warranty Enhancement" letters out for 05+ Tacoma's with DRLs that will now cover the replacement of your headlights regardless of mileage if they are melting or discolored. This is NOT a safety recall, but simply a free extended warranty on that part only. No need to wait for the letter, go see your dealer for your free headlights!

Check this thread for a copy of the letter and updated TSB info:

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-tacomas/336066-toyota-recall-melting-dtrls.html

Hello TW,

**(EDIT: I RECENTLY DETERMINED THIS ISSUE IS RELATED TO ALL 2005-2011 MODEL YEARS EQUIPPED WITH FACTORY DRL's, NOT JUST 2009-2011)**

As most of us already know, 2nd Gen 2009-2011 model Tacoma's equipped with factory DTRL's are notorious for their melting lenses. From my research, this failure seems to be caused by a higher wattage bulb that Toyota began installing in 09+ models after multiple complaints of premature bulb failure in previous model years. This higher wattage bulb emits much higher amounts of heat, and Toyota failed to do proper R&D and testing to ensure our headlight lenses can compensate for this increased heat.

As many of us have already fallen victim to this, some of us, like myself, have not experienced this failure until after being out of their original 3/36 warranty. Some owners report their dealerships denying claims, and having no success with help from Toyota HQ. Others have reported their dealerships taking the matter so serious, that a rental car was issued because the truck was deemed unsafe to drive. This seems to be a hit and miss situation.

I brought my truck in to my dealership today (John Elway's Crown Toyota, Ontario CA) and had a service advisor write up my melted DTRL issue. I currently have 44k on the truck so I am no longer in factory 3/36 warranty, however I do have Toyota Extra Care Platinum 7/100 warranty with no deductible. My dealer informed me that the lens failure will not be covered, and that my Extra Care denied the claim.

I immediately called Toyota HQ (1-800-331-4331) and opened a case number as advised to do by my service advisor. Toyota forwarded my claim back to the Customer Relations Manager and Service Director at my dealer. Dealer again denied the warranty work, and advised that Toyota HQ also denied my out-of-warranty claim. Called Toyota HQ back to push the issue further up the chain, but was denied access to speak with a manager/supervisor and was told I will be called back on Monday from my original claim writer. It is now a waiting game.

With all this going on, I know I am not alone, and this is far from an isolated incident. If you visit NHTSA.gov or Safecar.gov, you will find hundreds of consumer complaints regarding this matter. Here on TW alone I am sure we can find several hundred members with this issue. This has gone on way too far.

My main point of concern is that this is not a simple part failure like a door sill that causes wind noise, or a window switch that sticks, this is an extreme fire hazard and risk to not only us owners, but our passengers and others on the road. Vehicle fires kill people. I am a highly experienced and knowledgeable in 12v electrical, and although it may not seem like a bubbling piece of plastic will do harm, don't be fooled. Our lives are in danger, and its going to take a vehicle fire or death for Toyota to finally recognize this hazard.

I was estimated $311 for a single replacement headlight assembly (with the same stock bulbs that caused original failure) plus $218 in labor. That is $540 for a single headlight replacement, without even addressing the original issue/failure. Although it is likely that I will eventually be "reimbursed" by Toyota HQ for PARTS ONLY, that is still not acceptable. It is time for us to take a stand against this and make our trucks safe again.

I would like to begin by asking ALL of you that have experienced this problem before, please share your story and the results. Whether you decided to leave it as is, or if you took it to your dealer, please share what the outcome was. Were you in/out of warranty, what was the dealers advice, did you have extended warranty, did you contact Toyota HQ, were you reimbursed, who covered/denied coverage, do you have stock or aftermarket bulbs, etc.

I realize their are many other threads on this topic already, so if you have already shared your story before, please share again. I have no intentions of backing down, and I need your support to make any significant results from this. If it takes a lawsuit, so be it. I will gladly hire an attorney and make something come of this. I am in the process of compiling existing consumer complaints, as well as existing threads on this topic, but the more I have the betted for my case.

I am asking this community to please get together on this and share your story!! It is imperative I get as many personal stories as possible. Do not lie however, share only the facts!

Thank you TW for your support on this matter!

- Anthony (ProForce)

Last edited: Jul 22, 2014
  2. Oct 12, 2012 at 4:54 PM
    ProForce

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    SoCal - Fontana
    Vehicle:
    Online Resources Compilation:

TOYOTA T-SB-0129-11 'Headlamp Assembly Appearance Concern' (see attached)

Safercar.gov search results for 2009 Toyota Tacoma ONLY. Complaint numbers for burnt DTRL related issue only. First report on 5/5/11 and most recent on 10/11/12:

No reports on safecar.gov for any 2010-2011 models at this time, although Toyota has already officially confirmed part failure in these model years with the attached TSB.

Safercar.gov complaint list from 2008 in regards to Burnt signal lenses ONLY:

List for model years 2005-2007 pending

RELATED TW THREADS:

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-tacomas/57290-drl-burnt-through-lens.html **SEE PICS!**
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2n...se-who-have-dtrl-its-melting-your-lights.html
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/lighting/119333-anybody-else-have-headlight-lens-melt.html
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-tacomas/181761-attn-09-11-12-headlight-lense-will-melt.html
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2n...refused-all-responsibility-melting-dtrls.html
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-tacomas/162652-drl-melting-lenses.html
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-tacomas/206029-headlamp-tsb.html
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-tacomas/181997-dtrl-melting-lens.html
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2n...em-w-parkn-lights-melting-internal-lense.html
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/lighting/139579-parking-light-plastic-melted.html
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-tacomas/80533-dtrl-lens-melting.html
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2n...e-drls-have-they-damaged-your-headlights.html
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/lighting/22417-daytime-running-light-issue.html
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/lighting/43969-daytime-amber-lens-melted.html
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-tacomas/43277-drl-heads-up.html
    .... The list goes on and on and on!!!

http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/rules-regulations/administration/fmcsr/fmcsrruletext.aspx?reg=r49CFR571.108
    DOT rules (as found in above link) Standard 108 - Lamps, Reflective Devices, and Associated Equipment. See section 571.108 S5.1.2 A-G

SAE Regulations concerning lens testing - Standard J576 JUL 91
    According to SAE standards (from what I interpreted) these lenses must be tested at approximately 170° F for 3 hours in a circulating oven... That means if these went through proper testing, then our bulbs are getting hotter than 170° F in under a 3 hour time frame in order to melt the lenses :eek:

To be continued...

Attached Files:

3. Oct 12, 2012 at 7:25 PM
    TheSmash133

TheSmash133 Cruise

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Orange County
    Vehicle:
    2006 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab SR5
    X-D Series Black Rims 12 in sub Amp Super 44 Flowmaster Dual exhaust K&N airfilter Tint Tanneua Snug top Side Steps Blacked out Emblems and lower valence Bright white interior lights Blue dome light Retrofitted Mini H1's and morimoto X-B Halo.....
    I havn't experienced this personally, and I have an 06. Never had a problem and I just recently had the retrofit mod done! Good luck though bro!

4. Oct 12, 2012 at 7:28 PM
    ProForce

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    SoCal - Fontana
    Vehicle:
    This applies to 2009-2011 model years only.

5. Oct 12, 2012 at 9:18 PM
    TXpro4X4

TXpro4X4 Fuck Cancer!

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Vehicle:
    2011 TOY
    Toy Stuff..... Faktor Amber lights on in the grill. Under front bumper led rock lighting. Center counsel c.b mod with under the hood p.a. Anytime foglight mod. R.G.B tape light for inside toekick lighting. Front and back. Front weathertech floor mats. De-Baged except TOY on tailgate. FJ style 6 speed shifter knob. Rubber tacoma bed mat. Trd exhaust. Trd 16in beadlocker style wheels. Electrical a/c 115volt plug/usb mod next to passenger knee. Fox 2.5 coilovers. Icon 2.0's in the rear. Rear locker any-time mod. Abs kill switch mod. All Pro ISF front skid Pelfrey built front differential skid Baja design pro pods Rigid pods CBI pods brackets Mobtown tailgate guard RIP Mobtown Caliraised rear amber pod lights CJ Jumper- map, running, amber fog, reverse, and license plate led bulbs Pedal Commander
    Danm to much ro read right now

6. Oct 12, 2012 at 9:37 PM
    OffroadToy

OffroadToy old, forgetful, and decomposing

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Offroad DCSB AT- VSC,TRAC,HAC, & DAC
    Icon Stage 8, ECGS Bushing, Timbren bump stops, Crown braided/extended brake lines, Overland Custom Design sway bar links, rear differential breather extension, oil filter drain hose, a/c drain hose extension & reroute, front windows tint, Cat Security, XPEL headlight/fog & grill protection, OEM block heater, RCBS illuminated 4X4 switch,
    Why not just change the bulbs? :confused:

7. Oct 12, 2012 at 9:42 PM
    09DBLCAB09

09DBLCAB09 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Changing the bulb out isn't going to unmelt my headlight

Mine is the same. I have a 09. Been going back and forth with Toyota dealership. They basically laugh at me and tell me they won't do anything about it

8. Oct 12, 2012 at 9:43 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Time to change the bulbs and live with it

9. Oct 12, 2012 at 9:52 PM
    OffroadToy

OffroadToy old, forgetful, and decomposing

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Offroad DCSB AT- VSC,TRAC,HAC, & DAC
    Icon Stage 8, ECGS Bushing, Timbren bump stops, Crown braided/extended brake lines, Overland Custom Design sway bar links, rear differential breather extension, oil filter drain hose, a/c drain hose extension & reroute, front windows tint, Cat Security, XPEL headlight/fog & grill protection, OEM block heater, RCBS illuminated 4X4 switch,
    But it might save your life according to the op.

10. Oct 12, 2012 at 10:48 PM
    09DBLCAB09

09DBLCAB09 Well-Known Member

Member:
    I highly doubt a little 3156 bulb that is slowly melting my headlight housing will somehow kill me

11. Oct 12, 2012 at 10:55 PM
    krimson

krimson Nothin

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road
    OME 3" lift with 885 coils. OME Shocks with TSB 1.5 AAL. 285/75/16 KM2s. XD Hoss 16" wheels. DDM Tuning 6000K HIDs, H10 6000K Fogs. BHLM. Debaged. 20% tint on front windows.
    Way too much to read lol.. I just replaced mine after they showed signs of melting. No problems from my Dealership to get them changed.

12. Oct 12, 2012 at 11:24 PM
    ProForce

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    SoCal - Fontana
    Vehicle:
    The sarcastic comments are not necessary here. If you guys are ok with simply spending money replacing (regardless how little) to fix Toyota's mistake, that's fine with me. But I do not think its right that I should even have to visit the dealership for something of this nature, let alone get the run around for it. Saying this is "normal wear and tear" is beyond irrational and just straight ridiculous. I would love for Toyota to list a single vehicle in the history of the world that had headlights listed as a serviceable item due to wear like brakes. That's insane.

In regards to the bulb killing someone, it does sound extreme I'll give you that much, but clearly you guys have never seen a vehicle electrical fire, or what melted plastic is capable of. Call me crazy, but mark my words, one day, it will cause a fire.

The plastic on these headlights are not some cheap flimsy eBay housing plastic, this is DOT approved lenses which require a pretty high amount of heat resistance and protection. For a lens to melt from an OEM bulb is clearly a safety hazard. And even if it was safe, I didn't pay $32,000 for a brand new truck just to be told I have to spend an additional $550+ every 1-3 years for new headlights, and now inspecting my headlights for possible electrical hazards every trip to ensure I am safe.

Sorry for the very long OP, for those who don't want to read the entire thing, no problem. Glad your dealership didn't give you a hassle. Unfortunately though for some of us, we aren't so lucky.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  13. Oct 12, 2012 at 11:24 PM
    ProForce

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    SoCal - Fontana
    Vehicle:
    Great to know! Thanks.

14. Oct 12, 2012 at 11:28 PM
    ProForce

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    SoCal - Fontana
    Vehicle:
    For those who think I am overreacting or feel it is OK to have these types of safety hazards on a brand new vehicle, please keep these opinions and smart remarks to yourselves. I for one know that I am not alone in this, and I'm quite upset at the situation. I plan to use this thread to help my claim with Toyota, as well as help others in the same predicament. I don't need negative remarks diminishing the value of this thread for us in need. If OP is too long, don't read it, but no need to share, I know its long.

15. Oct 12, 2012 at 11:33 PM
    joes06tacoma

joes06tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Off Road Access Cab v6 6spd
    LEER Shell with dome lights operated with 3 way switches, aux backup lights with relay and 3 position switch, modified wiring to compass/temp display and clock to include switch that disables dimming function (poor man's DRL solution), Scan Gauge 2
    My 2006 does not have DRL.

My work truck (09 regular cab 2WD Tacoma) has been slowing melting the lens on the left headlight for the last 30K plus miles. It currently has 70K on it. I just noticed this week that the right headlight is starting to melt as well. I recently replaced the left side DRL/signal bulb with the standard replacement from OReily. I am unaware of what cooler bulb to use to stop further damage to the lights. My employer purchased this truck almost exactly four years ago now. It's rarely driven for more than 45 mins at a time, so it doesn't take several hours of driving to heat the lens up to the point of damage. It's a company truck, so it's unlikely anything will be done as long as the lights still work.as

Edit: At 80K now, the 09 has actually cracked one inner lense (left). I cut the wire under the dash as described in the "stealth mode" mod. It may not be my truck, but it will be me who has to hassle with it when the lights stop working.

Last edited: May 23, 2013
  16. Oct 12, 2012 at 11:35 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Interesting , there is no sign of melting at all on my '09

17. Oct 12, 2012 at 11:42 PM
    ProForce

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    SoCal - Fontana
    Vehicle:
    Mine took 3 years and 3 months to show any signs of melting. It doesn't always happen right away, or even at all. At some point however, there is a pretty high chance of you eventually experiencing this problem.

18. Oct 13, 2012 at 12:15 AM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    I keep checking , it's been 4 years this month

19. Oct 13, 2012 at 12:39 AM
    NWTacoGuy

NWTacoGuy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Pacific North West
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Off Road DCSB
    Fabtech 6", xd addicts/35x11.50 Nitto Terra Grapplers, Black badges, Pioneer HU, 11' grille, ect ect ect....
  20. Oct 13, 2012 at 12:48 AM
    ProForce

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    SoCal - Fontana
    Vehicle:
    Of course. It isn't really so much a petition as I originally intended. It's more of just a compilation to show to Toyota. There is a lot of research to be done still, and I'm sure I'll spend several hours on the computer tomorrow researching DOT regulations. I also had no idea that this was not isolated to 2009 and up, Otherwise I would have changed the title. Hopefully the description will bring some 05-08 members in here. we'll see how it goes, this is just a start

Products Discussed in

To Top