Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

bed lights

Old 10-13-2012, 04:40 PM   #1
2006KJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed2006KJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed2006KJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed2006KJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed2006KJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed2006KJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed2006KJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed2006KJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed2006KJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed2006KJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed2006KJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

2006KJ's Tacoma Gallery
bed lights

UPDATE ON PAGE 2. USED RIGID LED BARS NOT FLEXIBLE STRIP. FLEXIBLE STRIP FAILED AND SAGGED IN HEAT

I saw on here somewhere that a member used a waterproof flexible strip of 300 LED's (16 feet) and put them under the tie down rails on his tacoma... soo i found the same or similar ones on Ebay and started the project. they were $12.50 shipped. (thanks the heads up member... if i remembered your name i'd give you credit!) Edit - it was RAPR i stole the idea from.. thanks!

THESE.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Cool-Whi...item2a20a25922

i then bought 20 feet of velcro from walmart and trimmed it to fit on the lights and rails.. that way if the LED's fail i can just replace them with another $12.50 strip.

I ran the power from the positive side of the battery with a 10amp fuse inline.. and the negative i grounded to the frame just inboard of the drivers side rear wheel on the frame (grounded the switch and lights there). Everything else is self explanatory. Wired them to a waterproof off/on switch with LED indicator. Where the lights bend around the front corners i put black wire loom around so it didnt look sloppy. Ran the wires from the LED's from the drivers side over the plastic push in..and into the tail light area.. (you can seeit a real little bit over the moose bottle opener. Before putting velcro on the bed rails make sure they are good and clean. i used 3M wax/grease/adhesive remover to clean them good. Also the LED's are cutable (the tail end).. i probably cut about 2 feet so there would be plenty to do a long bed.

used this switch (bought 2 incase one was bad)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/170712257652...84.m1439.l2649

Lights = $12.50
Wire = $5.00
Switch = $2.50
Inline Fuse holder/fuse/random connectors = $5.00
Velcro = $15

Sooo great bed light set up for $40.00 not bad at all.

no lights

lights

switch

Old 10-13-2012, 04:44 PM   #2
Taco Vending Machine
Beefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
Beefed Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Sweet! Night and day difference (pun intended) Good writeup too. Smiley gives 1 thumb up .
Old 10-13-2012, 04:53 PM   #3
Trifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Trifenix's Tacoma Gallery
Nice! Is the switch waterproof?
Old 10-13-2012, 05:00 PM   #6
2006KJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed2006KJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed2006KJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed2006KJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed2006KJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed2006KJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed2006KJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed2006KJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed2006KJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed2006KJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed2006KJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

2006KJ's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trifenix View Post
Nice! Is the switch waterproof?
says it's waterproof

those are the ones i bought.. only used 1 (bought the 2 incase one was bad or broke)

Drunknsloth- thanks for the suggestion!! hopefully there is no next time but if there is i'll for sure do the 5050's i didnt know they existed until i read your post haha
Old 10-14-2012, 09:55 PM   #7
Indffrnce will be the fall of manknd but who cares
Drunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Retribution
Drunknsloth's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006KJ View Post
says it's waterproof

those are the ones i bought.. only used 1 (bought the 2 incase one was bad or broke)

Drunknsloth- thanks for the suggestion!! hopefully there is no next time but if there is i'll for sure do the 5050's i didnt know they existed until i read your post haha
I'm going to be honest will you. Just looking at the pictures on the ebay site there is no way that the switch pictured is truly waterproof. There are no seals on it from what I can see and there are too many places for water to leak in. That being said, it should last you a while though as long as you don't submerge it. From what I can tell, it is not a heavy duty switch, so if it does go out on you, I would upgrade.
Old 10-15-2012, 06:28 AM   #8

2006KJ's Tacoma Gallery
If this switch fails ill probably throw in the 2nd switch I got in the two pack. Until it fails then upgrade. The most wet it'll be is if I hose out the bed at any time
Old 10-15-2012, 02:08 PM   #9
Indffrnce will be the fall of manknd but who cares
Drunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Retribution
Drunknsloth's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
If this switch fails ill probably throw in the 2nd switch I got in the two pack. Until it fails then upgrade. The most wet it'll be is if I hose out the bed at any time
If you wanted to be safe, I would disconnect it from the battery, when you hose it down. That will give it less chance of failure.
Old 10-15-2012, 08:31 PM   #10

2006KJ's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunknsloth View Post
If you wanted to be safe, I would disconnect it from the battery, when you hose it down. That will give it less chance of failure.
Another good suggestion! If I hose it down ill just pull the fuse. Thanks again haha
Old 10-25-2012, 05:24 PM   #11
krause is on a distinguished road

Navy: Petty Officer 3rd class
Name: Matt
krause's Tacoma Gallery
That's awesome! A great idea I might one day steal!
Old 10-25-2012, 05:31 PM   #12
I'm your huckleberry
skidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

skidooman's Tacoma Gallery
I still need to do this. The "light"in my camper shell is better than nothing, but still pretty lame.
Well done OP.
Old 11-19-2012, 09:42 AM   #13
Super Taco
mattgecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattgecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattgecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattgecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattgecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattgecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattgecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattgecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattgecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattgecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattgecko is one of the sharper tools in the shed

mattgecko's Tacoma Gallery
Spent the weekend making the hood and bed lights.

I used black flexible PCB 5050 LED's with adhesive backing, bought from Ebay.

Soldered (3) 3' sections of LED lights.

The Switch is out of sight and harms way. I am going to add a black rubber cap to make it stealth.

Hood LED lights.

The switch for the lights is attached to the new fuse box.
Old 11-19-2012, 01:39 PM   #14

2006KJ's Tacoma Gallery
looks great mattgecko! do you have an up close pictures of how you soldered the LED strips together? were they one long strip that you cut into 3 sections then soldered together or did they come in those short strips? i like the black instead of the clear i used. Also your supercharger makes me very jealous.. it's sweet.

you should consider using a hood pin switch for your hood lights. they come in different sizes but this is what they look like
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...=%7Bkeyword%7D

since i've done mine i put on a bestop soft topper... looks pretty cool with the LED's

wish i would've known what i do now from forum member suggestions.. i would've used 5050's
Old 11-19-2012, 01:59 PM   #15
Super Taco
mattgecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattgecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattgecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattgecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattgecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattgecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattgecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattgecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattgecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattgecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattgecko is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
looks great mattgecko! do you have an up close pictures of how you soldered the LED strips together? were they one long strip that you cut into 3 sections then soldered together or did they come in those short strips? i like the black instead of the clear i used. Also your supercharger makes me very jealous.. it's sweet.

you should consider using a hood pin switch for your hood lights. they come in different sizes but this is what they look like
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...=%7Bkeyword%7D

since i've done mine i put on a bestop soft topper... looks pretty cool with the LED's

wish i would've known what i do now from forum member suggestions.. i would've used 5050's
Your lights look good and love the soft top. I will definitely pick up one of the hood pin switches. Thanks

Yes I bought (2) 15' rolls from Ebay for $19ea from China. Every 3rd LED there is a spot you can cut, I used a utility knife to cut the waterproofing off and expose the (4) copper tabs. solder one wire to the hot, the other wire to the (3) remaining tabs, then covered the connection with epoxy and shrink tubing. Came out great!

I had a 3 led strip left over I installed on the front of my RC10 buggy, I'll post a pic of the connections.
Old 11-19-2012, 05:35 PM   #16

2006KJ's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattgecko View Post
Your lights look good and love the soft top. I will definitely pick up one of the hood pin switches. Thanks

Yes I bought (2) 15' rolls from Ebay for $19ea from China. Every 3rd LED there is a spot you can cut, I used a utility knife to cut the waterproofing off and expose the (4) copper tabs. solder one wire to the hot, the other wire to the (3) remaining tabs, then covered the connection with epoxy and shrink tubing. Came out great!

I had a 3 led strip left over I installed on the front of my RC10 buggy, I'll post a pic of the connections.
great! looking forward to the pics. I trimmed about 2 feet off the end of my LED strip (got one of the 15 foot rolls). Didnt think about trimming with razor and soldering. After building an RC rock crawler i think i can solder anything
Old 11-19-2012, 05:36 PM   #17
Super Taco

Lights on the crawler will look sweet!

Close up pic.

Old 11-20-2012, 05:31 PM   #18

2006KJ's Tacoma Gallery
nice! wonder if i can find somewhere to put a few LED's for rock lights on my crawler

think i can put them on the the bottom of the rear chassis brace.. but not sure about the front. maybe under the front hood skin
Old 11-20-2012, 06:29 PM   #19
Super Taco

Quote:
nice! wonder if i can find somewhere to put a few LED's for rock lights on my crawler

think i can put them on the the bottom of the rear chassis brace.. but not sure about the front. maybe under the front hood skin
Nice crawler, now if only there was a 2 gen body.
Old 01-26-2013, 04:19 PM   #20
YogiBear is on a distinguished road

YogiBear's Tacoma Gallery
I have a stupid question. I have researched and can't find my answer. I know nothing about hooking up anything electrical and I'm about to hook up LEDs to light up my bed.

The switch has three connectors coming out the back.
1 connector goes to power source (fuse box).
1 connector is grounded into the truck frame.
1 connector is hooked up to my LEDs.

If this is correct, how do I connect the wire from my switch going to the LEDs, to the positive and negative wires coming out of the LEDs?

If this is totally wrong please steer me in the right direction.