Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

LED Light Bars

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-30-2013, 10:29 AM   #541
bayareataco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbayareataco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbayareataco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbayareataco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbayareataco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbayareataco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbayareataco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbayareataco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbayareataco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbayareataco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbayareataco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jimmy
bayareataco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Primo 95 View Post
I used a Daystar. Does your wiring harness have a relay in it (a little black junction box)?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffirg View Post
hmm. Either the wire is too small for the length of run, or there is a short somewhere.
Quote:
Yeah I think that would be fine. Was your switch actually smoking, or was it the wiring going into the switch? What size wire are you using? And how long of a run from battery to the bar is it?

Okay here we go, first off I don't have the blue switch anymore i returned it right away to autozone. Here is the switch that came with it, this was the order it came wired and worked just fine, red wire to the + black was ground and yellow was ? Whatever was left. Exactly how I wired it to the blue switch, now I'm guessing either the blue switch was not the same internally or there was a short because the lights did come on but the wires stayed hot. If I wired it wrong would the light still have worked like it did for me?

Here you can see the harness all burnt up and how small gauge the wires are

Side note this was the scariest thing that's happened to me, my truck was flashing before my eyes in flames, I was on too of a 4 story parking garage when this happened, no way for a fire truck to get up there... Getting an extinguisher pronto...

The long red and black wires coming off the white connector hook up to the battery as well as the black and red coming out if the relay and fuse box.

Here is the diagram

The company is being really nice and sending me a new harness for free, but should I even use it? Or find someone who knows what they are doing and build me a beefier harness.
Old 09-30-2013, 03:08 PM   #542
ffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: mike
ffirg's Tacoma Gallery
IF IT WERE ME....I would make my own without a relay. I'll get shit for saying that and I'm not recommending it by any means. But there is no reason for a relay on an LED bar as long as your wiring and switch are worth a damn. It just makes it simpler to wire/install for me is all.

That being said, I think with a new harness you can make it work as long as it's wired properly. The relay is the confusing part for most, myself included. I'm hoping someone else chimes in that is familiar with the relay part of the harness.
Old 09-30-2013, 03:31 PM   #543
montgomery_30824 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmontgomery_30824 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmontgomery_30824 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmontgomery_30824 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmontgomery_30824 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmontgomery_30824 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmontgomery_30824 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmontgomery_30824 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmontgomery_30824 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmontgomery_30824 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmontgomery_30824 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: CH53E Avionics Tech
Name: Lee
montgomery_30824's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to montgomery_30824
Relays are there to keep from having large amounts of power running through the switch. Generally just need a "reference" voltage to control the relay.
Old 09-30-2013, 04:20 PM   #544
ffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ffirg's Tacoma Gallery
Yep. But if the switch is rated correctly for the amperage going through it, and rated as continuous duty, the relay is overkill. LED bars draw such low current it usually isn't necessary. That's all I'm getting at. The manufacturer supplied it so they think obviously think otherwise.
Old 09-30-2013, 05:07 PM   #545
Primo 95 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimo 95 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimo 95 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimo 95 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimo 95 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimo 95 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimo 95 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimo 95 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimo 95 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimo 95 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimo 95 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Primo!
Primo 95's Tacoma Gallery
Some good reading. I think you can get away without using a relay, but all the smart guys in this thread say you should (including me). What size inline fuse do you have?
If it worked fine with the original switch..try it that way and leave it on for 10 minutes in your driveway with a fire extinguisher..check the wires.
Then try a quality switch like a daystar..and monitor again for 10-15 minutes. I think you have may have used a switch rated at less than 20amps.
Maybe ask for some help from your local Tacoma club. Good Luck

http://www.rzrforums.net/lighting-st...ight-bars.html
Old 09-30-2013, 05:14 PM   #546
tacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter
tacoma16's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayareataco View Post

Here is the diagram

Out of curiosity did you happen to wire the new switch directly to the battery like in the directions?
Old 09-30-2013, 05:33 PM   #547
bayareataco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbayareataco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbayareataco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbayareataco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbayareataco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbayareataco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbayareataco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbayareataco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbayareataco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbayareataco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbayareataco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacoma16 View Post
Out of curiosity did you happen to wire the new switch directly to the battery like in the directions?
Yes that's the way the harness is set up and how it was working with the supplied switch... Bad idea?

Thanks for all the help guys!
Old 09-30-2013, 06:23 PM   #548
tacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter
tacoma16's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Yes that's the way the harness is set up and how it was working with the supplied switch... Bad idea?

Thanks for all the help guys!
Well if the new switch wasn't rated, or you hooked it up wrong (some plugs on the switches are different switch to switch) and the power to the switch wasn't fused, then that could have been the cause of the issue. My suggestion would be to wire it using the new sent kit, but wire it with an inline fuse.

I think if you would have had a fuse on the switch power, the fuse would have blown instead of melting everything.

Just an FYI-->Essential, any power lead should always be fused. People say to use relays, because it is rated for a high enough amperage that all the load doesn't have to run through the switch and instead the high rated relay. I know a relay isn't essentially needed since your drawing low amps with a light bar, but in the case of a short you wont have a melted switch. But if you decide not to use a relay, just make sure everything that is "hot" is fused. Goodluck
Old 09-30-2013, 07:22 PM   #549

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacoma16 View Post

I think if you would have had a fuse on the switch power, the fuse would have blown instead of melting everything.
So to clarify I need to wire an inline fuse (or relay) from the red(+) wire going from the switch to the battery, so if it happens again the fuse will blow before it starts to melt the rest of the harness.

Sorry to beat a dead horse, electronics go right over my head I am a body work type of guy, I need things spelled out Haha

How big of a fuse do I need ? The switch is 20amp
Old 09-30-2013, 08:04 PM   #550

ffirg's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
So to clarify I need to wire an inline fuse (or relay) from the red(+) wire going from the switch to the battery, so if it happens again the fuse will blow before it starts to melt the rest of the harness.

Sorry to beat a dead horse, electronics go right over my head I am a body work type of guy, I need things spelled out Haha

How big of a fuse do I need ? The switch is 20amp
A relay does not replace a fuse. I think you knew that, just wanted to clarify. You can calculate amp draw by dividing watts by voltage. 120w/12v = 10 amps draw. I would probably use a 15amp fuse to account for any surge. If you're starting your truck and the lights on and say the battery dips to 10v while cranking, you'll be drawing 12 amps. So I'd go 15 amp to be safe. And then make sure your wire size is big enough.

Here's a good chart I follow when choosing wire size.

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...e#.Uko5nIi9KSM

It's meant for the marine world but it still applies. By that chart(use the 3% voltage drop chart) I'd choose 12gauge wire if your power wire is 16 feet ROUND TRIP. That's what most people make a mistake on. Measure from battery to load and double it for that measurement. And according to the chart, 12ga wire can handle 45 amps so it's plenty big. It can handle well up to the 10-15 amp load that the light will require, but the fuse will blow before the wire melts if anything more than 15amps runs through it.

And always remember to fuse the positive wire as close to the battery as possible.

I hope I didn't make that confusing. I typed it from my iPad so I got kind of away.
Old 09-30-2013, 08:11 PM   #551

ffirg's Tacoma Gallery
12ga may seem too big, and it probably is overkill...but what you look for is voltage drop. The chart I posted has the calculation there. It's easy if you know the resistance of the wire you're using, which that page also has for AWG wire. So if you chose say, 18ga wiring, you would be losing over 1volt for a 16 foot round trip run. When you lose one volt, your amp draw goes from 10 up to 11 amps. Doesn't seem like a big deal but if you chose a 10amp fuse it would be blowing all the time. AND you would be feeding the light less voltage which would make it less bright (not very noticeable with LEDs but the problem is still there)
Old 09-30-2013, 08:13 PM   #552

ffirg's Tacoma Gallery
And if I'm confusing you I'm sorry. I went off on a tangent there, and that is how I choose wiring when no relay is involved. I don't have much experience using relays so all of what I posted may be irrelevant for you...but thought I'd post it anyway.
Old 09-30-2013, 08:17 PM   #553

Quote:
12ga may seem too big, and it probably is overkill...but what you look for is voltage drop. The chart I posted has the calculation there. It's easy if you know the resistance of the wire you're using, which that page also has for AWG wire. So if you chose say, 18ga wiring, you would be losing over 1volt for a 16 foot round trip run. When you lose one volt, your amp draw goes from 10 up to 11 amps. Doesn't seem like a big deal but if you chose a 10amp fuse it would be blowing all the time. AND you would be feeding the light less voltage which would make it less bright (not very noticeable with LEDs but the problem is still there)
You know a lot! Thank you, I know exactly what to do now.
Old 09-30-2013, 08:24 PM   #554

ffirg's Tacoma Gallery
If you have any more questions feel free to pm me and I'll see if I can help
Old 10-01-2013, 07:07 AM   #555
sirhk100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirhk100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirhk100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirhk100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirhk100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirhk100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirhk100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirhk100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirhk100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirhk100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirhk100 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
sirhk100's Tacoma Gallery
I put an amp meter on the 50" bar on the race truck, it was pulling 16.2 amps, it's rated at 288 watts from tough light. On the race truck I run really high quality triple sealed 30 amp rated switches. These things are like $18 a pop. Yet I still ran a relay. Biggest reason is I like being able to run all small ga. wire thru my center console. Just a personal preference and nothing more. I ran 12ga wire to supply power to the light thru the relay.
Old 10-01-2013, 08:36 AM   #556
money pit
zopperman is one of the sharper tools in the shedzopperman is one of the sharper tools in the shedzopperman is one of the sharper tools in the shedzopperman is one of the sharper tools in the shedzopperman is one of the sharper tools in the shedzopperman is one of the sharper tools in the shedzopperman is one of the sharper tools in the shedzopperman is one of the sharper tools in the shedzopperman is one of the sharper tools in the shedzopperman is one of the sharper tools in the shedzopperman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS:
Name: Zak
zopperman's Tacoma Gallery
id like to see a comparison of output between a rigid and a totron bar of similar specs

Anyone have?
Old 10-01-2013, 08:39 AM   #557
The Blue Warrior
ToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Shay
ToyotaKTMracing's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by zopperman View Post
id like to see a comparison of output between a rigid and a totron bar of similar specs

Anyone have?
IMO, I don't think there's a lot of people that own both of similar specs. I've seen both in person and there isn't a big difference. (Not at the same time though) It's just one is double/triple the price of the other.
Old 10-01-2013, 10:08 AM   #558
Primo 95 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimo 95 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimo 95 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimo 95 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimo 95 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimo 95 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimo 95 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimo 95 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimo 95 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimo 95 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimo 95 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by zopperman View Post

Anyone have?
If there was a noticeable difference, Rigid would have pics on their website.
Old 10-01-2013, 11:22 AM   #559
money pit
zopperman is one of the sharper tools in the shedzopperman is one of the sharper tools in the shedzopperman is one of the sharper tools in the shedzopperman is one of the sharper tools in the shedzopperman is one of the sharper tools in the shedzopperman is one of the sharper tools in the shedzopperman is one of the sharper tools in the shedzopperman is one of the sharper tools in the shedzopperman is one of the sharper tools in the shedzopperman is one of the sharper tools in the shedzopperman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS:
Name: Zak
zopperman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Primo 95 View Post
If there was a noticeable difference, Rigid would have pics on their website.
on mine beam pattern is 90 degree flood and 60 spot, rigid claims 20 flood and 10 spot
Old 10-01-2013, 12:15 PM   #560

My Totron is 8 degree Spot, & it is far from what i call a traditional off road spot light

Products Discussed in this Thread