Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

LED Light Bars

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-29-2014, 07:33 PM   #941
toendanger is on a distinguished road
toendanger's Tacoma Gallery

Here's another one of those. Saw this a while back too. Its interesting, and kinda cool you can change the modes. But idk, I don't see the point really. Why would you only want to run a single mode and not the entire thing? It looks cool. But that's about it. And I'm not sure why they didn't put 5 watt led's on the outside instead of 3watts. Then it might be worth it. But why not buy a bar like I did that is all 10 watt with a combo pattern? My 42" has 26 10 watt led's. Outside 6 led's are flood beam and center are spot. I guess with the smaller reflectors in the 3 watts would be a little better for a flood design versus the deeper reflector on the 10 watts. But mine work pretty good with just the diffused lenses. Its quite an amazing design and performs like no other. Idk, I just prefer to have a singular design for a cleaner look. Thats just me tho...
Old 01-29-2014, 07:34 PM   #942
F*ck you Brent
YotaOverAll is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaOverAll is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaOverAll is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaOverAll is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaOverAll is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaOverAll is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaOverAll is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaOverAll is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaOverAll is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaOverAll is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaOverAll is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jessie
YotaOverAll's Tacoma Gallery
All I know is I need more bars. lol
Old 01-29-2014, 07:48 PM   #943
x2^^

It all starts with one. Then you're hooked. Lol. I now have 6. And want yet another 42" to make it double stack and I haven't even got the 42" I have now mounted yet. Ha. I'm afraid I may not stop. Next I'll have lights surrounding my entire truck. Rear and sides. Lol. But I gotta force myself to stop. Need to get other things that I actually NEED. Like shocks, tires, brakes, other preventative maintenance stuff. Although I would say that I do NEED the lights too. Ha.
Old 01-29-2014, 07:51 PM   #944
F*ck you Brent
YotaOverAll is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaOverAll is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaOverAll is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaOverAll is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaOverAll is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaOverAll is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaOverAll is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaOverAll is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaOverAll is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaOverAll is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaOverAll is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I'm thinking maybe another 1 or two behind a new grill and maybe one across the top if I can find a mount I like
Old 01-29-2014, 08:06 PM   #945
tdoling12 is on a distinguished road
Name: Trenton
tdoling12's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyotaKTMracing View Post
Good find, primo. And yes, but not a lot ^
If I were to be running a 10in SR rigid, should I try to avoid going behind a grill?
Old 01-29-2014, 08:26 PM   #946
Quote:
Originally Posted by YotaOverAll View Post
I'm thinking maybe another 1 or two behind a new grill and maybe one across the top if I can find a mount I like
Well I had a hard time finding anyone that sells roof mounts specifically for 1st gens. And on top of that it would probably be someone like rigid that would sell the mounts designed for their bars. So unless you plan on fabbing up your own design, good luck. I've seen people buy premade mounts designed for different trucks that they used and made modifications to make it fit their bar, but then you might as well fab up your own if you have the tools. I barely have tools to do it myself. Well my brother does.. But I am making my own and came up with a design that may be universal for 1st gens. Well, for my specific bar that is. But in theory it should work for any roof bar. Just figuring out the length to fit other peoples bars is the trick. but what I was thinking, is I could come up with a design that I could fab and sell, but in pieces. And would only require the purchaser to test fit and position the pieces in place, tac weld it, then cut off the excess and paint. But someone who can do this should be able to just have the tools to make their own anyways. Idk. Just something I'm thinking about..
Old 01-29-2014, 08:38 PM   #947
F*ck you Brent

I could have some made here. But I've seen a couple trucks on instagram with em ounted from the doorsills. But, I don't like how they hang over the windshield
Old 01-29-2014, 08:59 PM   #948
JustinL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustinL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustinL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustinL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustinL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustinL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustinL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustinL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustinL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustinL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustinL is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Justin
JustinL's Tacoma Gallery
For those multi mode bars check this vid at the 6:00 mark:

http://youtu.be/on7dSpsmF-w
Old 01-29-2014, 09:08 PM   #949
mrfrogdude is on a distinguished road
mrfrogdude's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by setty7 View Post
Looks great! What are you running?
My bar is an Amazon bar from the seller ledstore. Its using 3watt cree leds rated at 24k lumens.
Old 01-29-2014, 09:10 PM   #950
mrfrogdude is on a distinguished road
mrfrogdude's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newlife View Post
Got a pic of your mounts
Yep...

Old 01-30-2014, 03:11 PM   #951
So, who would be interested in a completely universal roof mount bar for 1st gens??
Any bar. Any length (50" or under).
Options like being able to mount your bar directly on top or arched over windshield with included tabs.
Able to mount a multitude of bars or singular bar. Can mount reverse facing bars along with the front facing.
All that would be required by consumers would be to drill the holes in the door jam. Everything else would be fastened down using bolts.
This is just something I am considering designing and selling.
Question is, how many would be interested in purchasing?
Old 01-30-2014, 03:48 PM   #952
Dorthy left Kansas for a reason
somethinboutayota is one of the sharper tools in the shedsomethinboutayota is one of the sharper tools in the shedsomethinboutayota is one of the sharper tools in the shedsomethinboutayota is one of the sharper tools in the shedsomethinboutayota is one of the sharper tools in the shedsomethinboutayota is one of the sharper tools in the shedsomethinboutayota is one of the sharper tools in the shedsomethinboutayota is one of the sharper tools in the shedsomethinboutayota is one of the sharper tools in the shedsomethinboutayota is one of the sharper tools in the shedsomethinboutayota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Parker
somethinboutayota's Tacoma Gallery
LED Light Bars

I would be very interested once trigo makes it to the post office! What would a set cost?

Also for the thread

Old 01-30-2014, 04:20 PM   #953
setty7 has a brilliant futuresetty7 has a brilliant futuresetty7 has a brilliant futuresetty7 has a brilliant futuresetty7 has a brilliant futuresetty7 has a brilliant futuresetty7 has a brilliant futuresetty7 has a brilliant futuresetty7 has a brilliant futuresetty7 has a brilliant futuresetty7 has a brilliant future
Name: Justin
setty7's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by toendanger View Post
Not sure what's on Amazon. But I've gotten all my bars from eBay. Granted all mine are vision x knock offs, so I'm unsure about other styles. But I haven't heard really any bad things about them. Durability shouldn't be a factor to worry about. That aurora vid is just over exxagerated. Any bar should be able to withstand what a daily driver throws at it. If you are worried about it holding up to that kind of torture, then that means you should have a trophy truck.. Normal conditions, as in daily driving or casual offroading should not affect it enough to worry. Any build quality should be fine. What you should be worried about is the reflector design, led's used, and lumens output. I'm guessing about 80% of people on here have china knock offs. The price difference for top brands or even mid level name brands are just not worth it. If u have the $ to blow then go for it. But otherwise I suggest getting a knock off.
When looking at bars look for;
- Type of led's
*Wattage: 3 watt/5watt/10watt.. (3 watts are pretty much outdated now)
*Brand: Luminous/Cree/Epistar... (A lot don't even specify)
- Reflector design: bowl shape/depth/ lens beam pattern..
*If it looks ricey, it probably is. Stay away. Reflector design plays a HUGE role in output.
- Last would be build quality
*Design/shape of housing
*Durability (Just a guess by looking at pics whether or not I think it is a good design)
*Coating: Is it painted/powder coated/ resists elements...
But really all 'I' look for is design i like, lumens output, and price. My vision x evo prime knock offs from ebay are pretty nice. I'm confident they will hold up to vibration and rocks and daily elements. Except maybe the paint. They are just spray painted with a light coat, and it arrived with a few scratches underneath, and easily chips.. I would prefer it to be powdercoated. I can do this myself by taking the bar all apart and powdercoat the pieces, but i dont want to risk it not sealing properly after reassembly.. So i may just tape off the lens and give it a few good coats of paint and some clear coat. Or maybe even bedliner or plastidip it or something. But right now I am not worried about it at all. I've also heard of some fading from the sun, turning a bronze color. But I'll just leave it as I purchased it for now and see how it holds up. Another thing I am worried about is how the lens will hold up to the sun. I had a cheap bar from superbrightleds.com and the lens quickly yellowed and hazed. My new ones don't show any sign of that yet. They still look crystal clear. But, summer isnt that far away and in az, that'll be a test. I know some bars have covers, but I don't think vision x makes em, plus I use mine every single night so there wouldn't be any point. I did take one of the lights apart, my 20", and the lens seems like a simple ploycarbonate lens that if need be can be cut and replaced quite easily. I also thought about using some clear uv resistent vinyl film to put on the lens. May end up doing this.
Anyways.. hope this helps any newbs. Now get yer damned light and show it off! Lol.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfrogdude View Post
My bar is an Amazon bar from the seller ledstore. Its using 3watt cree leds rated at 24k lumens.
Thank y'all for your help! What is the best type of led?

mrfrogdude....how is this light bar holding up for you? LEDs still working properly? Rust? Etc
Old 01-30-2014, 05:38 PM   #954
Quote:
Originally Posted by somethinboutayota View Post
I would be very interested once trigo makes it to the post office! What would a set cost?

Also for the thread

"Trigo"?
And not sure. Considering companies sell some door jam arches for like $200, probably a bit more than that. Have no clue what costs I'll be lookng at for producing. I will probably make a few and see how quickly they sell and make a decision whether or not to produce more stock..
So once I've finalized my design and made a few I'll post em up..
Old 01-30-2014, 06:09 PM   #955
Dorthy left Kansas for a reason
somethinboutayota is one of the sharper tools in the shedsomethinboutayota is one of the sharper tools in the shedsomethinboutayota is one of the sharper tools in the shedsomethinboutayota is one of the sharper tools in the shedsomethinboutayota is one of the sharper tools in the shedsomethinboutayota is one of the sharper tools in the shedsomethinboutayota is one of the sharper tools in the shedsomethinboutayota is one of the sharper tools in the shedsomethinboutayota is one of the sharper tools in the shedsomethinboutayota is one of the sharper tools in the shedsomethinboutayota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Parker
somethinboutayota's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
"Trigo"?

And not sure. Considering companies sell some door jam arches for like $200, probably a bit more than that. Have no clue what costs I'll be lookng at for producing. I will probably make a few and see how quickly they sell and make a decision whether or not to produce more stock..

So once I've finalized my design and made a few I'll post em up..

He is a member on here, if you need a test dummy for them let me know haha so I'll just check in here for progress on those mounts?
Old 01-30-2014, 07:30 PM   #956
Quote:
Originally Posted by somethinboutayota View Post
He is a member on here, if you need a test dummy for them let me know haha so I'll just check in here for progress on those mounts?
Yeah.. it'll probably be a month or two tho. Before I finish one. I'll link out a different thread once I do. So I don't thread jack anymore. Lol.
Back to led bars. Let's see more!
Old 01-30-2014, 08:01 PM   #957
06toyoboy is on a distinguished road
06toyoboy's Tacoma Gallery
I would be interested in a pair of mounting brackets for the first gen.
Old 01-31-2014, 06:18 AM   #958
www.okledlightbars.com
zilla68 is one of the sharper tools in the shedzilla68 is one of the sharper tools in the shedzilla68 is one of the sharper tools in the shedzilla68 is one of the sharper tools in the shedzilla68 is one of the sharper tools in the shedzilla68 is one of the sharper tools in the shedzilla68 is one of the sharper tools in the shedzilla68 is one of the sharper tools in the shedzilla68 is one of the sharper tools in the shedzilla68 is one of the sharper tools in the shedzilla68 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
zilla68's Tacoma Gallery
I'd be interested in selling them thru my online store once the final product is out, any pictures?
i get lots of requests for custom mounts but most places I've contacted to build them are either
A) Hacks with welds that look like a bird crapped on them
B) Can't stick to a schedule to save their life
C) Just not trustworthy
Old 02-01-2014, 07:24 AM   #959
The Blue Warrior
ToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Shay
ToyotaKTMracing's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by zilla68 View Post
I'd be interested in selling them thru my online store once the final product is out, any pictures?
i get lots of requests for custom mounts but most places I've contacted to build them are either
A) Hacks with welds that look like a bird crapped on them
B) Can't stick to a schedule to save their life
C) Just not trustworthy
I need custom brackets for your 10" spot for an ATV I'm getting. My friend bought your 10" and ended up not using it and I'll be getting it off of him. It's an impressive light for what it is!
Old 02-01-2014, 07:26 AM   #960
money pit
zopperman is one of the sharper tools in the shedzopperman is one of the sharper tools in the shedzopperman is one of the sharper tools in the shedzopperman is one of the sharper tools in the shedzopperman is one of the sharper tools in the shedzopperman is one of the sharper tools in the shedzopperman is one of the sharper tools in the shedzopperman is one of the sharper tools in the shedzopperman is one of the sharper tools in the shedzopperman is one of the sharper tools in the shedzopperman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS:
Name: Zak
zopperman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Here's another one of those. Saw this a while back too. Its interesting, and kinda cool you can change the modes. But idk, I don't see the point really. Why would you only want to run a single mode and not the entire thing? It looks cool. But that's about it. And I'm not sure why they didn't put 5 watt led's on the outside instead of 3watts. Then it might be worth it. But why not buy a bar like I did that is all 10 watt with a combo pattern? My 42" has 26 10 watt led's. Outside 6 led's are flood beam and center are spot. I guess with the smaller reflectors in the 3 watts would be a little better for a flood design versus the deeper reflector on the 10 watts. But mine work pretty good with just the diffused lenses. Its quite an amazing design and performs like no other. Idk, I just prefer to have a singular design for a cleaner look. Thats just me tho...
totally agree. I have a 5w single row bar that will go on the front of my steel bumper - 8* spot patten and 120* flood on the sides. Almost prefer this style to my 60/30 double row.

Products Discussed in this Thread