1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

How to wire up backlit toyota symbol into dashboard and come on with headlights

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by battlezone, Oct 25, 2012.

1. Oct 25, 2012 at 9:02 PM
    battlezone

battlezone [OP] Member

Member:
    I have a 2012 and am looking to perform the backlit toyota logo mod from this thread:

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/lighting/239479-backlit-toyota-grill-logo-mod.html

I am having difficulty figuring out how to wire this light into a switch on my bashboard using this switch:

http://www.toyotapart.com/84160-04010.html

I also want to wire up this light to come on and off with the rest of the exterior lights. I understand that i need to wire it into a relay, but how do i do that and where does it go to in the fuse box. Also how exactly do i get the wire for the light from the engine bay into the cab to be wired to the dashboard?

2. Oct 25, 2012 at 9:09 PM
    acdronin

acdronin Well-Known Member

Member:
    Do you want it to come on with the lights or on with the switch?

3. Oct 25, 2012 at 9:14 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    To do what you want, you'll need either two relays, or you'll need to diode-isolate the parking light circuit and the switched circuit feeding the new light.

The current draw on those is low, so you could avoid relays using diodes... but seriously, from the questions you are asking, you should not be attempting what you want to do without someone WITH YOU that knows what they are doing.

There's a lot of places to tie into the system on the truck, and it's REALLY easy to tie into the wrong one.

4. Oct 25, 2012 at 9:16 PM
    acdronin

Member:
    If he wants an independent switch he should just run a fuse tap off of the box in the cab, wouldn't you think Rich?

5. Oct 25, 2012 at 9:31 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    I agree... but I'm not getting a warm fuzzy about his ability to do this on his own without us seeing a thread Sunday night "Help, there's smoke coming from my battery"

6. Oct 25, 2012 at 9:38 PM
    acdronin

Member:
    LOL yeah, he should find someone like a auto sound shop, they could probably do something like this

7. Oct 25, 2012 at 9:43 PM
    TherealScuba

TherealScuba Sober Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephen
    Austin, Texas
    Vehicle:
    99 Single Cab 4x4
    I was going to suggest this after reading the first post.

8. Oct 26, 2012 at 4:51 AM
    battlezone

battlezone [OP] Member

Member:
    I mean yall dont know me, so i understand where you are coming from. I know basic wiring, i just dont know how to get the wires into the cab. but its whatever.

9. Oct 26, 2012 at 7:06 AM
    acdronin

Member:
    in the engine bay on the left side of the engine (facing the truck), below and to the right a little of the brake master cylinder you will find a grommetted opening where a bunch of wires go into the cab, you can carefully punch a hole in that grommet to get wires through, the you can pull them through from under the dash on the other side

10. Oct 26, 2012 at 9:34 AM
    TRD Larry

TRD Larry trd larry

Member:
    First Name:
    Larry
    South Park, PA
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma Black,Sport,Premium and Tech Package
    Sport pedals,, Magnaflow cat back exhaust system,Kuhmo 275x55x20, Platinum #220 Abyss wheels 20x9.5. Under hood lights, OEM LED cargo bed lights, extra D-rings installed in bed, AC mod, diff. breather mod, OEM LED puddle lights and footwell lights, Homelink mirror, oil catch can, raptor grille lights, replaced chrome grille molding with black molding, tailgate lock/unlock and tailgate opener, console organizer, glove compartment organizer, Caliraised stealth LED light bar, TRD Cold Air Intake, Lighted cup holders, Meso extended fuse cover, Meso stage 1 tail lights, Meso switch panel, Door bowl lights. Anytime front and rear backup camera mod. TRD Pro Rigid fog lights.Door edge guards. TRD Pro shift knob with Boomer's TRD LED light (Red for security, blue for interior), Glass Break Sensor, sensor with LED light tied into the security LED light, OEM LED Headlights, Sequential LED Turn Signals.
    I have found from experience working on electrical parts once you let the smoke out you can never put it back. The part usually never works once the smoke gets out.

Products Discussed in

To Top