Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

2013 Fog Light Mod... wont turn off with ignition???

Old 11-12-2012, 02:15 PM   #1
Dog Face Soldier
Nicky Lam has a brilliant futureNicky Lam has a brilliant futureNicky Lam has a brilliant futureNicky Lam has a brilliant futureNicky Lam has a brilliant futureNicky Lam has a brilliant futureNicky Lam has a brilliant futureNicky Lam has a brilliant futureNicky Lam has a brilliant futureNicky Lam has a brilliant futureNicky Lam has a brilliant future

Army: Weapons of Mass Destruction
Name: Nick
Nicky Lam's Tacoma Gallery
2013 Fog Light Mod... wont turn off with ignition???

ok so heres a little video i made, the fog lights turn on and off with the oem button as i please now, low beams high beams, if the button i depressed, the light stays on. great. thats exactly what i wanted, but... it doesn't turn off when i exit the vehicle and lock it. any ideas? im trying to get it to turn off when i switch the ignition to off so i dont have to manually push the button to turn it off whenever i exit the vehicle. i know its just a matter of tapping into something/somewhere else. just have no idea where (im not the most savvy electrician)

the fog light relay was bottom left pin that i bent and tapped with a wire to the trail tow which was the top right pin.

once again this is a 2013 i know its different on previous 2011 models.

thanks!

heres a link to the video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjBUCEbnAOk&feature=plcp

and those who are wondering why my fogs are yellow, i got that amber lens repair tape and covered the housing. easy cheap mod, looks better than facotory halogen color. the tape is pretty stretchy, i took a hair dryer to it and stretched it out so there was not any creases or wrinkles.
Old 11-12-2012, 02:26 PM   #2
tdunc is a jewel in the roughtdunc is a jewel in the roughtdunc is a jewel in the roughtdunc is a jewel in the rough
tdunc's Tacoma Gallery
Sounds like the relay coil is wired directly to the battery rather than to an ignition switched source. In the stock main fuse/relay box, you'll find a harness toward the engine with a light green wire coming out of it. That is what I used to tap in to an ignition switched source. I'll try to post a picture of what I'm talking about tonight. Or if you have a voltmeter, you can probe around to find the wire I'm referring to

Edit: the harness I'm referring to is on the far right of this picture (fyi, not my picture)
Old 11-12-2012, 02:39 PM   #3
Dog Face Soldier
Nicky Lam has a brilliant futureNicky Lam has a brilliant futureNicky Lam has a brilliant futureNicky Lam has a brilliant futureNicky Lam has a brilliant futureNicky Lam has a brilliant futureNicky Lam has a brilliant futureNicky Lam has a brilliant futureNicky Lam has a brilliant futureNicky Lam has a brilliant futureNicky Lam has a brilliant future

Army: Weapons of Mass Destruction
Name: Nick
Nicky Lam's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdunc View Post
Sounds like the relay coil is wired directly to the battery rather than to an ignition switched source. In the stock main fuse/relay box, you'll find a harness toward the engine with a light green wire coming out of it. That is what I used to tap in to an ignition switched source. I'll try to post a picture of what I'm talking about tonight. Or if you have a voltmeter, you can probe around to find the wire I'm referring to

Edit: the harness I'm referring to is on the far right of this picture (fyi, not my picture)
roger... so in this picture the harness with the light green wire. is furthest right, not bottom right... but directly in the middle, right? i think i can see the light green wire in this picture.

thanks for the quik reply
Old 11-13-2012, 06:11 AM   #5
tdunc is a jewel in the roughtdunc is a jewel in the roughtdunc is a jewel in the roughtdunc is a jewel in the rough
tdunc's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicky Lam View Post
yep... light green wire did the trick. awesome. thanks. rep for you
Good deal, glad it worked out for ya