Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

Brightest fogs without going HIDs?

Old 11-13-2012, 08:16 PM   #1
The Blue Warrior
ToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Shay
ToyotaKTMracing's Tacoma Gallery
Brightest fogs without going HIDs?

What the title says. One of my fogs went out so it's time to replace. I want to know what is good to get. Want really bright and a light that has a pure white color. Cool white, not warm white. Ideas? I'm going to probably be getting projector headlights and the beam doesn't spread real wide and I need the fogs to make up for it. (Yes, I know the fogs don't go real far either, but it's better than nothing.) I've even wondered about LEDs. Anybody run LEDs?
Old 11-13-2012, 08:23 PM   #2
JabbaJabbaJabba
Spoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jamie
Spoonman's Tacoma Gallery
There was a thread about LED fogs. They're more for show.

Not sure what to suggest.
Old 11-13-2012, 08:25 PM   #3
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Ya... LEDs don't cut it.
HID is too bright/glare.

55w is about it. Fogs are really only supposed to cut under the fog to make you visible without blinding oncoming. Most of us use them more as "ditch lights" to provide a broader pattern.

And a quality projector retrofit will provide a perfectly good pattern.
Just stay away from eBay projectors.
Old 11-13-2012, 08:26 PM   #4
The Blue Warrior
ToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoonman View Post
There was a thread about LED fogs. They're more for show.

Not sure what to suggest.
Oh. I don't want show. Just a bright white light. I've been reading and searching and pretty much have just been seeing positive and mainly negatives about everything.
Old 11-13-2012, 08:27 PM   #5
The Blue Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich91710 View Post
Ya... LEDs don't cut it.
HID is too bright/glare.

55w is about it. Fogs are really only supposed to cut under the fog to make you visible without blinding oncoming. Most of us use them more as "ditch lights" to provide a broader pattern.

And a quality projector retrofit will provide a perfectly good pattern.
Just stay away from eBay projectors.
This. I need a wide beam. Ideas?
Old 11-13-2012, 08:28 PM   #6
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyotaKTMracing View Post
This. I need a wide beam. Ideas?
http://www.theretrofitsource.com

They're always running 25% off group buys here on TW.
Old 11-13-2012, 08:28 PM   #7
The Blue Warrior

And the projector light I do want, I can get off ebay. One guy one here got the same one and switched the projectors. Which I would probably do down the road.
Old 11-13-2012, 08:31 PM   #9

Quote:
And the projector light I do want, I can get off ebay. One guy one here got the same one and switched the projectors. Which I would probably do down the road.
Be sure to look into the details of that mod... it was pretty involved.
Old 11-13-2012, 08:32 PM   #10
The Blue Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corndawg View Post
yellow, light is the best for fog and snow.
I'm mainly not going for fog and snow use. I need it for a wide brightness beam. I have my light bar, but it's illegal to use on the road here and will blind oncoming traffic.
Old 11-13-2012, 08:33 PM   #11
The Blue Warrior

Quote:
Be sure to look into the details of that mod... it was pretty involved.
It was. He even switched the halos. After he was done, it was over a $400 project
Old 11-14-2012, 06:23 AM   #12
Lurker No More
caribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shedcaribe makaira is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: CAG11 & VAW-117 AME2
caribe makaira's Tacoma Gallery
There are H10/9145 (fog bulbs) at 100 watts on the market...Check out Superbrightbulbs. Dunno about heat dissipation in the OEM fog enclosure and I'd upgrade the power harness.
Old 11-14-2012, 06:35 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribe makaira View Post
There are H10/9145 (fog bulbs) at 100 watts on the market...Check out Superbrightbulbs. Dunno about heat dissipation in the OEM fog enclosure and I'd upgrade the power harness.
Not just the harness, but use the stock power leads to switch a relay.
200w is just a bit over what the 70w circuit was designed to carry.
Old 11-14-2012, 06:38 PM   #14
The Blue Warrior

Quote:
Not just the harness, but use the stock power leads to switch a relay.
200w is just a bit over what the 70w circuit was designed to carry.
Yeah, that idea scares me. And sounds more expensive than just lights. Might as well go HID at that point.
Old 11-14-2012, 06:58 PM   #15
Wheeeeeeeeeeeee!!!
b0ules is one of the sharper tools in the shedb0ules is one of the sharper tools in the shedb0ules is one of the sharper tools in the shedb0ules is one of the sharper tools in the shedb0ules is one of the sharper tools in the shedb0ules is one of the sharper tools in the shedb0ules is one of the sharper tools in the shedb0ules is one of the sharper tools in the shedb0ules is one of the sharper tools in the shedb0ules is one of the sharper tools in the shedb0ules is one of the sharper tools in the shed

b0ules's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Yeah, that idea scares me. And sounds more expensive than just lights. Might as well go HID at that point.
Not at all difficult nor expensive, but as mentioned, you may have some big heat problems with 100w bulbs. I've melted the H4 (9003?) socket right to the bulb on motorcycles back in the day when I thought brighter was better for being seen... But that was metal base into a plastic socket, not plastic to plastic like I believe we have?
Old 11-14-2012, 07:04 PM   #16
Wheeeeeeeeeeeee!!!
b0ules is one of the sharper tools in the shedb0ules is one of the sharper tools in the shedb0ules is one of the sharper tools in the shedb0ules is one of the sharper tools in the shedb0ules is one of the sharper tools in the shedb0ules is one of the sharper tools in the shedb0ules is one of the sharper tools in the shedb0ules is one of the sharper tools in the shedb0ules is one of the sharper tools in the shedb0ules is one of the sharper tools in the shedb0ules is one of the sharper tools in the shed

b0ules's Tacoma Gallery
Oya, if you can get sylvania silverstars or silverstar ultras, they throw a really nice cold white light. Noticeably whiter (not blue!!!) than regular halogen, and if they make our size, it'll be stock wattage so no worries there.
Old 11-15-2012, 02:09 PM   #18
Tuctaco is on a distinguished road

Name: Todd
Tuctaco's Tacoma Gallery
If you want to do projectors in your Fogs look into the Blazer projectors. I'm getting ready to retrofit my fogs.
Old 11-15-2012, 07:15 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuctaco View Post
If you want to do projectors in your Fogs look into the Blazer projectors. I'm getting ready to retrofit my fogs.
That's the way to go if you can find a set still available. TRS discontinued them.

Fogs should have a flat, wide pattern.
HIDs in fog housings create even worse glare for other divers than they do in H4 housings.

PLEASE do not do this! It is extremely dangerous to other drivers.
Old 11-15-2012, 07:16 PM   #20
The Blue Warrior

Quote:
That's the way to go if you can find a set still available. TRS discontinued them.

Fogs should have a flat, wide pattern.
HIDs in fog housings create even worse glare for other divers than they do in H4 housings.

PLEASE do not do this! It is extremely dangerous to other drivers.
I figured that. Plus I don't have the money for that. No worries.