Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

which affordable headlight upgrade? (1st gen)

View Poll Results: which head lights on my 99?
1 black crystal 4 66.67%
2 chrome crystal 1 16.67%
3 motor energy projector 1 16.67%
4 zomk speed projectors 0 0%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-17-2012, 03:08 PM   #1
R.I.P. "Pearl the Shark"
BluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BluePearlShark99's Tacoma Gallery
which affordable headlight upgrade? (1st gen)

which of these affordable ebay headlights should i get? my stock headlights suck, i've already used a McGuire's kit on them and it helped a lot, but i think it is about time to modernize my 99 a bit.

personally i like the 3rd choice best, but they are very cheap which makes me a little skeptical since they're projectors. any one running these on their taco? please let me know how you like em.

if any one has any of the others, fill free to give me your opinions on them as well!

please take my poll!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

choice 1. black crystal clear
http://www.ebay.com/itm/97-00-TACOMA...913#vi-content

choice 2. chrome crystal clear
http://www.ebay.com/itm/97-00-TACOMA...265#vi-content

choice 3. motor energy projectors
http://www.ebay.com/itm/320771782324...witem=&vxp=mtr

choice 4. zomk speed projectors
http://www.ebay.com/itm/97-00-TOYOTA...229#vi-content
Old 11-17-2012, 08:30 PM   #3
Ace of Spades
Alderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: OPSEC
Name: Nick
Alderleet's Tacoma Gallery
im running #1.

Its okay, i guess

I've thought about #3 though
Old 11-17-2012, 09:31 PM   #4
R.I.P. "Pearl the Shark"
BluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alderleet View Post
im running #1.

Its okay, i guess

I've thought about #3 though
any noticeable difference from stock?
Old 11-18-2012, 03:10 PM   #6
Who needs roads?
Taco me elmo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco me elmo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco me elmo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco me elmo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco me elmo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco me elmo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco me elmo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco me elmo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco me elmo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco me elmo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco me elmo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Micah
Taco me elmo's Tacoma Gallery
All aftermarket headlights suck really bad for light output and product quality, I have tried 2 different brands and ended up just going with stock from Toyota directly.

They are more expensive but they are designed to last with proper care.

Why not try to resurface your old ones?

Bulbs make a world of difference on the old stock housings as well.

If you have the money, Buy stock or clean your old stock ones for best results.
Old 11-18-2012, 03:50 PM   #7
Ace of Spades
Alderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: OPSEC
Name: Nick
Alderleet's Tacoma Gallery
the old ones for 98-00 suck ass hard.

The inside of the lens is cut, so resurfacing doesnt improve output since its jagged and not clear.
Old 11-18-2012, 04:25 PM   #8
Solid Axle FTMFW!!
Supra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
Supra TT's Tacoma Gallery
Depo is the only brand I'd go with aftermarket.
Old 11-18-2012, 05:55 PM   #9
Old N.R.A. Hippy
Sittingbull2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSittingbull2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSittingbull2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSittingbull2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSittingbull2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSittingbull2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSittingbull2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSittingbull2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSittingbull2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSittingbull2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSittingbull2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mitch
Sittingbull2's Tacoma Gallery
well I don't know anything about projector lights. I like # 2 but I probably would go back with stock ones myself or refinish the ones I have, then add a few extra lights to the front ARB bumper for when in the woods hunting or mudding. Probably didn't help you any though.
Just my 2cents

Sittingbull2
Old 11-18-2012, 06:05 PM   #10
R.I.P. "Pearl the Shark"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco me elmo View Post
All aftermarket headlights suck really bad for light output and product quality, I have tried 2 different brands and ended up just going with stock from Toyota directly.

They are more expensive but they are designed to last with proper care.

Why not try to resurface your old ones?

Bulbs make a world of difference on the old stock housings as well.

If you have the money, Buy stock or clean your old stock ones for best results.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluePearlShark99 View Post
i've already used a McGuire's kit on them and it helped a lot, but i think it is about time to modernize my 99 a bit.
this.
although i'm not sure which bulbs are in it now, what ever my sister was using before she sold me the taco.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alderleet View Post
the old ones for 98-00 suck ass hard.

The inside of the lens is cut, so resurfacing doesnt improve output since its jagged and not clear.
that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supra TT View Post
Depo is the only brand I'd go with aftermarket.
thank you, finally some productive input! i like depo too, i have their tails and bumper signals, but never used there headlights or corners for that matter... but other than the depo oem style, these are all i can find for 98-00 http://www.ebay.com/itm/98-00-Tacoma...807#vi-content and i'm more interested in projectors, cuz i've always wanted some ever since i had my ranger
Old 11-22-2012, 07:25 PM   #11
Whyareyoureadingthis?
VirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sam I am, green eggs and ham
VirginiaBound's Tacoma Gallery
I ran black lights on my 99 for quite some time, though even they got old. I swapped to a 97 front end and never looked back!
Old 11-26-2012, 12:05 PM   #12
R.I.P. "Pearl the Shark"

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirginiaBound View Post
I ran black lights on my 99 for quite some time, though even they got old. I swapped to a 97 front end and never looked back!
decided on the black myself. I convinced my dad to get em for me too, so now i'm not out $100... just gotta wait for xmas