Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

Driving/Off Road lights on/off with high-beams

Old 11-17-2012, 07:01 PM   #1
bmiranda is on a distinguished road
bmiranda's Tacoma Gallery
Driving/Off Road lights on/off with high-beams

I am thinking of getting a set of KC Slimlight 100 or 130s for additional lighting when on rural roads. I would like to wire them to a switch to turn them on/off, but when "on" I would like them to only come on when the high beams are engaged. So, in essence, the on/off switch would only be an "arm" switch, and the KCs would be controlled only with the high beams.

I'm sure there exists a thread with this explained, and perhaps even wiring diagrams. I just can't seem to find it. Anyone with info/diagrams or a link to another thread would be my hero!

Thanks ahead of time.

Also...anyone upgrade the stock headlight or reverse light with brighter halogen bulbs?
Old 11-17-2012, 07:20 PM   #2
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
There are a number of ways to do it. Here's one.

Wire the driving lights direct from the battery through a fuse, through the 30 and 87 pins of a 12v 40A relay to the lights to ground.

Now on the "input" side of the solenoid:

Start with the high-beam power wire on the driver side. Tap into that wire. run to the 85 pin of the relay. Connect a new wire to the 86 pin of the relay. Run that into the cab. Connect it to one pole of an SPST switch. Connect another wire to the other side of the SPST switch, and go from that to ground.

There's info here - but not the exact wiring diagram I mentioned.

http://www.eurekaboy.com/f250/relay101.htm

Basically, what that does is put the high beams as the power for your relay switch. But your manual switch also has to be on in order for the driving lights to be activated.
Old 11-17-2012, 07:20 PM   #3
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
Someone will be along shortly to explain any parts of this I got wrong
Old 11-17-2012, 07:25 PM   #4
No..i think that what I'm looking for...thanks. Any idea which wire is the high beam wire?
Old 11-17-2012, 07:26 PM   #5
Red
Large is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Large's Tacoma Gallery
Shouldn't be hard to find if you have a volt meter handy.
Old 11-17-2012, 07:34 PM   #6
I know, just trying to apply the addage of "learning from other people's mistakes" If anyone knows which wire to tap into..I'd love to hear. I'll obviously double check it, but someone with a bit of info could save me an hour, I'd appreciate it greatly.
Old 11-17-2012, 07:37 PM   #7
Bullwinkle J. Moose

bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
You can create an account on toyotaowners.com and for a fee of $15, get two days of access to the online shop manuals, including the complete electrical diagrams for your specific year.

I hear rumours that the FSM link that formerly existed on norcalttora has been taken down.
Old 11-17-2012, 07:40 PM   #8
joes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Joe
joes06tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjmoose View Post
There are a number of ways to do it. Here's one.

Wire the driving lights direct from the battery through a fuse, through the 30 and 87 pins of a 12v 40A relay to the lights to ground.

Now on the "input" side of the solenoid:

Start with the high-beam power wire on the driver side. Tap into that wire. run to the 85 pin of the relay. Connect a new wire to the 86 pin of the relay. Run that into the cab. Connect it to one pole of an SPST switch. Connect another wire to the other side of the SPST switch, and go from that to ground.

There's info here - but not the exact wiring diagram I mentioned.

http://www.eurekaboy.com/f250/relay101.htm

Basically, what that does is put the high beams as the power for your relay switch. But your manual switch also has to be on in order for the driving lights to be activated.
This sounds good. Only thing I will add is that it will only work on a 2nd gen truck. 1st gen has ground switched headlights.
Old 11-17-2012, 08:07 PM   #9
That's a good thing cause mine is a 2nd gen..it arrives at the end of the month! TRD Sport Access 6cyl 4X4..Excited?, just a bit.

Guess no one has any pictures of the wiring harness or any info on which wire I need to look for. No matter, I'm sure I'll find it...Thank for the help guys.
Old 11-17-2012, 08:23 PM   #10
joes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Joe
joes06tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmiranda View Post
That's a good thing cause mine is a 2nd gen..it arrives at the end of the month! TRD Sport Access 6cyl 4X4..Excited?, just a bit.

Guess no one has any pictures of the wiring harness or any info on which wire I need to look for. No matter, I'm sure I'll find it...Thank for the help guys.
Get yourself a $5 test light at any auto parts store. Connect the ground lead to the battery negative terminal. Touch the probe to each wire at one of the headlight connectors, with the high beams on, the light will light up while probing the high beam wire at the connector. Simple. And then you'll be able to do it on any vehicle you encounter in the future.