1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

LED flashers doubling as break lights??

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Bengland25, Nov 18, 2012.

1. Dec 3, 2012 at 2:26 AM
    ProForce

ProForce IG @proforce.expeditions OB#5411

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    SoCal - Fontana
    Vehicle:
    09 MGM TRD Sport DCSB 4.0 Auto 2wd
    Too many to list. See build page. Link in signature
    Yeah I'm down. Just let me know. School is finished this week, I'm out of work for awhile still recovering from a surgery, and my gf works full time, so I have endless amount of free time right now :D

I'll work on the wiring. How many flash patterns do you want? Just a couple options or you want to go all out? Price ranges from like $30-80 depending which module you get. There are a ton of options. Give me a price range and I'll give some recommendations. Then you'll need 2 relays (find Ford ones in a junk yard... they last forever and are good as new, its all I use and have yet to have one fail on me) and bunch of wire. You'll also need 2 switches, one will then then on/off and 1 will change flash patterns (momentary switch) I have an idea for thy though.

Where in socal are you?

2. Dec 3, 2012 at 9:14 PM
    Bengland25

Bengland25 [OP] Never Forget! 343

Member:
    First Name:
    Bradley
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma TRD
    MB Chaos 6 17" wheels, BF Goodrich All-Terrain TA/KO LT265-70R17, Anytime Fog Lights, Anytime Backup Camera, Bed Lights, Tailgate Lock, Light bar with 3 Hella 700FF's, Realtree Camo arm-rests, Anytime DTRL (With Switch), Blue Seas Fuse Block and Circuit Breaker, Custom Bed Light-Bar, Cobra 29 LTD Chrome, 4' Firestik, Masterlock Hitch Key Safe, Bed Storage Compartment Locks, Custom Shovel Bracket Mount, Flag Pole Mount (RED SOLO CUP FLAG!), DIY Washable Cabin Filter, URD MAF Cal., Homelink Garage Door Opener, Volant CAI w/ Ram Scoop, AeroTurbine 3030XL, URD Short Throw Shifter, Custom Satoshi, Blitzpro 21S, 2 Blitzpro 6LZ's, Blitzpro 6D, BAMF Sliders
    Sounds like there is some fun to be had then!! Haha

Honestly I don't mind putting out a little extra cash for some good equipment. Don't want to spend hundreds but I like quality products. Definitely would like something on the higher end of the spectrum. Let me know what you have in mind man, get creative! :thumbsup:

I'm out in simi/topanga area off the 118. I use to drove down to the 57 every week so I don't mine the distance!

3. Dec 6, 2012 at 12:37 AM
    ProForce

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    SoCal - Fontana
    Vehicle:
    Sorry I haven't gotten around to doing your diagram. It'll take all of about 5 minutes, but I've been sick since last Sunday. Think I have food poisoning or some type of viral infection in my stomach. To top it off, this morning I woke up to a raspy cough and the beginning of a chest cold. I've been in bed most of my days. Going to Dr. In tje morning. Should be able to have this drawn up soon. Still want to set up a time for install?

4. Dec 7, 2012 at 7:10 AM
    Bengland25

Member:
    First Name:
    Bradley
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma TRD
    MB Chaos 6 17" wheels, BF Goodrich All-Terrain TA/KO LT265-70R17, Anytime Fog Lights, Anytime Backup Camera, Bed Lights, Tailgate Lock, Light bar with 3 Hella 700FF's, Realtree Camo arm-rests, Anytime DTRL (With Switch), Blue Seas Fuse Block and Circuit Breaker, Custom Bed Light-Bar, Cobra 29 LTD Chrome, 4' Firestik, Masterlock Hitch Key Safe, Bed Storage Compartment Locks, Custom Shovel Bracket Mount, Flag Pole Mount (RED SOLO CUP FLAG!), DIY Washable Cabin Filter, URD MAF Cal., Homelink Garage Door Opener, Volant CAI w/ Ram Scoop, AeroTurbine 3030XL, URD Short Throw Shifter, Custom Satoshi, Blitzpro 21S, 2 Blitzpro 6LZ's, Blitzpro 6D, BAMF Sliders
    No problem man, I'm not in a rush for them at the moment.

Once we get everything figured out, I'd love to set up a day to work on them. I can most likely cut out/drill the holes for the lights prior to coming out so wiring is all we will have.

Get better man and take care of yourself!!

5. Dec 9, 2012 at 12:39 AM
    ProForce

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    SoCal - Fontana
    Vehicle:
    DustLightSignalComboDiagram_cb15f09cce8c97da8579671b280b44296242f182.jpg

If the above diagram does not work, or blows your turn signal fuses, then pins 87 on both relays can be wired together, and then attached to a 12v battery source using a 5 amp fuse. If you do this, make sure to not connect pins 87 to pins 86 as shown.

6. Dec 9, 2012 at 12:58 AM
    ProForce

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    SoCal - Fontana
    Vehicle:
    If the above diagram does not work, or blows your turn signal fuses, then pins 87 on both relays can be wired together, and then attached to a 12v battery source using a 5 amp fuse. If you do this, make sure to not connect pins 87 to pins 86 as shown.

Also, this wiring diagram was assuming the use of ShoMe LED flasher model 11.1005SF.HD found HERE. This module is listed as $87.58, but can be found much cheaper online. On ebay HERE, it is listed for $60.95.

I chose this module because it is "heavy duty" which allows for a 12 amp max output, 6 amps per side. Since you are using 4 lights, I figured the extra power may be necessary depending how efficient your LEDs are. Other lower models are only 6 amps max, 3 amps per side, which may be cutting it close.

There are many other options for flashers as well. This is just a simple 2 output, 7 flash patterns module. You may choose to purchase a 4 output module, such as THIS one, however that would require the installation of FIVE (5) different switches in your truck, which is ridiculous!

IF your lights are efficient enough and draw less than 1 amp per light, then I may recommend THIS module, which comes with a small control box to include your on/off switch and your momentary pattern select button all in one. And with the added benefit that it is listed as only $68.00 on their website. Wiring would be slightly different though, and this is really cutting it close as far as power is concerned. I recommend using the original module listed above.

Hope all this helps!

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  7. Dec 9, 2012 at 1:08 AM
    ProForce

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    SoCal - Fontana
    Vehicle:
  8. Dec 10, 2012 at 12:35 AM
    ProForce

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    SoCal - Fontana
    Vehicle:
    bump for OP cuz I took a long time making that diagram :)

9. Dec 10, 2012 at 12:46 AM
    Forster46

Forster46 Very nice how much?

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Mount Vernon, WA
    Vehicle:
    The doritos locos taco
    6000k HID's, AUX Reverse Lights, 3" Rough Country Suspension Lift, Pioneer AVH-P4200 Double Din, Underglow and footwell Lights, Camo Seat Covers, Duralast Tool Box, Blacked Out Badges, Grill, Front Emblem, Midland CB Radio, Amber Strobes, POWER REAR WINDOW, cup holder LED's, Firestik 3' in bed, console divider, Ultragauge.
    I have been following this thread since he made it, and I interested in doing almost the same thing that the OP is looking to do. I'm building a headache rack and want to mount some of the same style lights on it, I'm not sure how many though. I'm also looking into a strobe system for my front and rear stock amber housings.

10. Dec 10, 2012 at 12:52 AM
    ProForce

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    SoCal - Fontana
    Vehicle:
    well once you figure it out, feel free to let me know and i can make an application specific diagram for you. If using the above diagram, be sure to not the following:

I am pretty sure the above change will need to be made. It will for sure work as shown, but the amount of time that the led light is on during a "flash" be too quick. Either that or it may slow down the flash rate on the vehicle regular signals due to increased load on the flasher. I recommend just following the above change to be safe.

11. Dec 10, 2012 at 12:54 AM
    ProForce

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    SoCal - Fontana
    Vehicle:
    ill most likely update the diagram tomorrow and repost it to reflect the described change

12. Dec 10, 2012 at 12:56 AM
    Forster46

Forster46 Very nice how much?

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Mount Vernon, WA
    Vehicle:
    The doritos locos taco
    6000k HID's, AUX Reverse Lights, 3" Rough Country Suspension Lift, Pioneer AVH-P4200 Double Din, Underglow and footwell Lights, Camo Seat Covers, Duralast Tool Box, Blacked Out Badges, Grill, Front Emblem, Midland CB Radio, Amber Strobes, POWER REAR WINDOW, cup holder LED's, Firestik 3' in bed, console divider, Ultragauge.
    Perfect thanks.

13. Dec 10, 2012 at 2:17 AM
    ProForce

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    SoCal - Fontana
    Vehicle:
    This is the corrected wiring diagram which will prevent any possible issues with OEM signal circuit or flash speeds

DustLightSignalComboDiagram-1_7ec136212f0ebb7af31c07dbb2e062b6bec24b96.jpg

14. Dec 10, 2012 at 8:03 PM
    Bengland25

Member:
    First Name:
    Bradley
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma TRD
    Thanks for all the diagrams and notes buddy! Haven't had anytime to sit down and look over it and get back to you. Working around 70-80 hours a week lately. I'll take a look tonight! Just wanted you to know I didn't forget about this! Haha

15. Dec 10, 2012 at 8:23 PM
    Bengland25

Member:
    First Name:
    Bradley
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma TRD
    Actually looked a little tonight. Decided not to go to bed at 8 and push it to 830 haha. Love having to wake up a 230 for work...

With the flash module is it possible to select the flash pattern?? I like the "heavy duty" one just because it will cover the lights amperage and won't have any worries on that end.

Wiring diagram looks great btw man, I shall send you some positive rep shortly!

What type of connectors do you recommend? I want to be able to disconnect them easily for when I take the tool box out for camping and what have I.

Thanks again man! Wanting to get this done before Christmas but I don't know if I will have the free time yet. I will keep you up to date. Perhaps we can set something up for after and that way I for sure can get everything prepped on my end!!

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  16. Dec 10, 2012 at 8:30 PM
    ProForce

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    SoCal - Fontana
    Vehicle:
    If you want it to be easily removable, I recommend using waterproof 2 pin connectors like what are used on hid ballasts. Like these or anything similar:

[​IMG]

17. Dec 10, 2012 at 8:36 PM
    Bengland25

Member:
    First Name:
    Bradley
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma TRD
    Haha that is hilarious! I was just saving a picture of those exact ones! I am getting a few extra from the guys over at blitzpro.

How many connectors will I need for the 4 lights? And I able to wire any of them together so they're less connectors or do they need to all be separate due to the functions of each?

18. Dec 10, 2012 at 8:37 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    Damn... can't rep you twice in a row!

Those connectors are excellent and would have saved many headaches had they been available in 1980.

19. Dec 10, 2012 at 8:50 PM
    Bengland25

Member:
    First Name:
    Bradley
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma TRD
    Hahaha go for it! He is definitely helping out a lot and a good guy so he deserves it haha

20. Dec 10, 2012 at 8:57 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    Ya, but I already tagged him for the original post with the wiring diagram and the system won't let you pile on.

Products Discussed in

To Top