Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

HIDs behind the grill - how much light loss?

Old 11-19-2012, 09:04 PM   #1
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
HIDs behind the grill - how much light loss?

I know a number of folks have installed lights behind satoshi and grillcraft grills.

It makes for a very clean look - one that I like.

But it seems that -- much like with a slatted "shade structures" blocking the sun and providing partial shade -- that grill's gonna block a bunch of light. Light that I potentially paid mucho-denero to throw down the road as far as the eye can see.

I searched, but no one seems to have made any kinda comparison.

How much light is lost when lights are behind the grill instead of in front of it? Anyone got any comparison pics?

EDIT: installed two 7" kragen HIDs behind grillcraft black MX mesh. Skip ahead to post 19 below to see results.
Old 11-19-2012, 09:15 PM   #2
t4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

t4daddy's Tacoma Gallery
No pics, and there as to be some loss, but you can not tell by the beam. I have a billet grill with 55watt HID converted HellaFF 500s behind it.
Old 11-19-2012, 09:17 PM   #3
Banned
acdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
acdronin's Tacoma Gallery
Overcompensate with wattage, problem solved
Old 11-19-2012, 09:18 PM   #4
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
What grill is that, Chris?
Old 11-19-2012, 09:26 PM   #5
Banned
acdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjmoose View Post
What grill is that, Chris?
That is a Grillcraft IIRC and I chose that one for precisely the reason you stated, I didn't want to lose a bunch due to the grill. With that being said, of Homer's choices, if i was going to go with a satoshi I would have picked the mesh with the largest openings. IMO, it probably isn't a humungous amount of light lost but I didn't hang these for looks, I need these on the roads I drive and I do ALOT of night driving.

Dang, how often does one get to use the word 'humungous'????
Old 11-19-2012, 09:30 PM   #6
t4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

t4daddy's Tacoma Gallery
Looks similar to mine, got it off EBay for cheap.

Old 11-19-2012, 09:32 PM   #7
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by t4daddy View Post
Looks similar to mine, got it off EBay for cheap.

Not much of a Chrome guy but that looks pretty sweet!
Old 11-19-2012, 09:39 PM   #8

t4daddy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by acdronin View Post
Not much of a Chrome guy but that looks pretty sweet!
Thanks, I've since lost the badge. I wouldn't mind a color matched grill surround and flat black grille, but it's not high on my list either.
Old 11-20-2012, 11:35 AM   #9
Bullwinkle J. Moose

bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
Any other insights out there?
Old 11-21-2012, 08:52 AM   #10
Bullwinkle J. Moose

bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
Ima try one more bump...
Old 11-23-2012, 12:03 PM   #11
rpking is one of the sharper tools in the shedrpking is one of the sharper tools in the shedrpking is one of the sharper tools in the shedrpking is one of the sharper tools in the shedrpking is one of the sharper tools in the shedrpking is one of the sharper tools in the shedrpking is one of the sharper tools in the shedrpking is one of the sharper tools in the shedrpking is one of the sharper tools in the shedrpking is one of the sharper tools in the shedrpking is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Roger
rpking's Tacoma Gallery
I'm also on the fence about this. I drive at night more than I do in the daylight, I just took advantage of the 30% discount from BAMF and ordered a behind the grill light bar mount, after I did I started to wonder about the loss of light from any kind of a grill. But I hate the looks of most bumper mounted light bars, so I guess I will have to live with the loss of a little light. I like the looks of the Homer Satoshi grills just don't know which one would be best Satoshi or something else.
Old 11-23-2012, 12:19 PM   #12
Bullwinkle J. Moose

bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
Just for laughs, go to http://www.gemplers.com/shade-cloth and look at all the shade cloth profiles they have.

Then go to http://www.carid.com/2010-toyota-tacoma-grill/ and look at all the grill profiles available.

I'm hard pressed to say any of those grills looks more open than a 30% or 40% shade.
Old 11-23-2012, 12:21 PM   #13
Bullwinkle J. Moose

bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
...and maybe darker?
Old 11-23-2012, 12:49 PM   #14
rpking is one of the sharper tools in the shedrpking is one of the sharper tools in the shedrpking is one of the sharper tools in the shedrpking is one of the sharper tools in the shedrpking is one of the sharper tools in the shedrpking is one of the sharper tools in the shedrpking is one of the sharper tools in the shedrpking is one of the sharper tools in the shedrpking is one of the sharper tools in the shedrpking is one of the sharper tools in the shedrpking is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Roger
rpking's Tacoma Gallery
I agree, I would say darker. Those are some tight holed grills. I wonder about air flow through one of those, I bet your engine temps would be a little higher also. Damn lights behind the grill idea anyhow!!!! Now what am I gonna do???
Old 11-23-2012, 01:00 PM   #15
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpking View Post
I agree, I would say darker. Those are some tight holed grills. I wonder about air flow through one of those, I bet your engine temps would be a little higher also. Damn lights behind the grill idea anyhow!!!! Now what am I gonna do???
I have four lights behind my grill and have not had any problems with engine temps at all and i live a in a summer hot climate. I have a 'billet' style grill on mine which i feel obstructs the light less.
Old 11-23-2012, 05:12 PM   #16
ae111black is one of the sharper tools in the shedae111black is one of the sharper tools in the shedae111black is one of the sharper tools in the shedae111black is one of the sharper tools in the shedae111black is one of the sharper tools in the shedae111black is one of the sharper tools in the shedae111black is one of the sharper tools in the shedae111black is one of the sharper tools in the shedae111black is one of the sharper tools in the shedae111black is one of the sharper tools in the shedae111black is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kimo
ae111black's Tacoma Gallery
I have 2 550's behind some 3/4" expanded mesh and I'd say I'm losing about 5% but I'm running 55W halogen's
Old 11-23-2012, 07:19 PM   #17
2006KJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed2006KJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed2006KJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed2006KJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed2006KJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed2006KJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed2006KJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed2006KJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed2006KJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed2006KJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed2006KJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

2006KJ's Tacoma Gallery
when i do my satoshi im going to use this mesh
http://customcargrills.com/proddetai...Woven_Wire_XXL

says it's 80% open area compared to 70-60-50-40% of other patterns (go to universal grills to the left on that link to see others.)

i figure that grille with black magic hella 1000's will look good and not stick out too much.
Old 11-24-2012, 11:25 AM   #18
Bullwinkle J. Moose

bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
I dunno. I started thinking maybe I'd get the max amount of light by mounting the lights in front of the bumper, like this:

Trouble is, my front CBI receiver mount is incompatible with the NFab light bar (or pretty much any other bar that mounts to the front aluminum bumper attachment bar) - so I'd end up having to custom design/fab/weld some kind of custom light bracket.

That's more work than I wanna do.

Alternatively, I have in hand a BAMF behind-the-grill bolt on bracket I know will work.

Think I'm gonna just go with that, a grillcraft grill, and 4 Kragen HIDs. I'll still have roughly the same amount of light with that set up as with 3 lights out in front of the grill - and many folks are happy running just two or three HID lamps.
Old 01-03-2013, 09:27 PM   #19
Bullwinkle J. Moose

bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
OK, so it turns out that four 7" HIDs won't fit. So I mounted two of them back there. Here are the results, looking down my street.

Low Beams:

High Beams:

High Beams plus two 7" Kragen 35w HIDs (NO grill)

High Beams plus two 7" Kragen 35w HIDs (through grillcraft mesh grille)

Looks cool, though:

Bottom line? Light loss behind grille IS quite noticeable. For maximum light, DO opt for some mounting option other than behind-the-grille. However, even behind the grille, they throw more light than the stock high beams, and unlike the high beams I can opt to point them a little outboard for a little more light at the sides of the road.
Old 01-03-2013, 09:30 PM   #20
Banned
Interesting, I honestly didn't think it would make that big of a difference but it does.