Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

Rigid light build

Old 11-25-2012, 07:28 PM   #1
masterwacker has much to be proud ofmasterwacker has much to be proud ofmasterwacker has much to be proud ofmasterwacker has much to be proud ofmasterwacker has much to be proud ofmasterwacker has much to be proud ofmasterwacker has much to be proud ofmasterwacker has much to be proud ofmasterwacker has much to be proud ofmasterwacker has much to be proud of
Name: Paul
masterwacker's Tacoma Gallery
Rigid light build

I posted a couple pictures of the Rigid lights that I have on my truck and a lot of you wanted to see how I did it, so here it is...

I purchased a 40" Rigid E-series light bar to mount on top of my truck. The 40" is almost a perfect fit between the factory roof rack rails and I wanted it to sit down almost on the roof.

So I cut out some brackets

All I had was some scrap 4" wide steel and I did not feel like buying a new sheet so that is why the brackets don't perfectly follow the profile of the factory roof rack rails. I then used a hole saw to cut out the hole for the tubing that would actually hold the light bar

Next was to cut out the end caps for the tubing. I changed out the drill bit in the hole saw to match the diameter of the Rigid stud so that way the stud would slid through the pilot hole and I could stick a socket down the tubing to tighten the nut on the Rigid light stud

Ready to weld the cap on the tubing

Cap welded on the tubing

Caps welded on the tubing on both sides and test fit to make sure the bracket holes would line up. That is why I welded the caps on both sides of a piece of tubing even thought the actual piece of tubing would be much smaller.

Now it was time to fasten the main bracket to the factory roof rack rails. I removed the rails and put them on my work bench and determined where the holes needed to be on the bracket. Marked and drilled them out. Then I transferred the pattern to the rails.

I did not fasten the bracket with rivets!!! I used the rivets as holders so I could get the measurements to make the (2) backing plates for each side. The reason for (2) backing plates is that there is a plastic rib inside the rail that I did not want to remove as I can only assume this helps the rails retain their rigidity.

Backing plates all cut out

I used stainless steel allen button head bolts painted black to sandwich the factory rails with the brackets and the backing plates. If you have or have seen the factory roof rails you will understand that prior to doing this I had to make some complex bends in the brackets so that they conformed to the rails perfectly. Otherwise if I did not do this, when I tightened the bolts down I am pretty sure I would have cracked the factory rails.

Now it is time to get the light bar up on the roof and tack the tubing in the brackets. After sliding the tubing into the holes I cut out of the brackets I obviously measured side to side to make sure the light was centered.

Next was the wiring. Unfortunately I do not have a lot of pictures of this part. I cut a small slot at the base of the factory rails so I could slide the rigid harness up to a bigger hole I drilled on the side of the rail. The harness was held tightly in place with a grommet then everything was RTV'd. As for running the harness inside I drilled a hole in the roof and used a compression grommet along with RTVing it too. As of now 4 months later and through some massive rains in Florida I have no leaks at all.

The I ran the wire down the pillar separating the front and back seat, along the floor and out through the firewall of the truck to my distribution panel.

Here is a couple pictures of my distribution panel called The Source and is made by SPod. This system is awesome!!!!

Location of where The Source is going to be installed

The mounting bracket installed

The Source fastened to the mounting bracket.
--The wires at the bottom of the pic are the wires from the switches
--Next up are the fuses for each circuit
--Then you have the relays for each circuit
--Then you have the output terminals (+ & -) for each circuit.
The Source comes with a push button reset circuit breaker

And The Source even comes with a nice lid to keep crap from getting to all the electrical components.

A later picture of the finished 40" light bar project

Unfortunately I seem to have lost the pictures of how I built the brackets for the 30" light bar in the bumper, but here is a picture that Tim from BDF posted about how he was planning on mounting a light in the bumper. I took his idea and modified it a little bit. This will at least give you an idea anyhow

Old 11-25-2012, 07:30 PM   #2
Purveyor of Fun
benbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: ^
benbacher's Tacoma Gallery
Uhhhhhh. Pics of that all lit up?
Old 11-25-2012, 07:37 PM   #3
masterwacker has much to be proud ofmasterwacker has much to be proud ofmasterwacker has much to be proud ofmasterwacker has much to be proud ofmasterwacker has much to be proud ofmasterwacker has much to be proud ofmasterwacker has much to be proud ofmasterwacker has much to be proud ofmasterwacker has much to be proud ofmasterwacker has much to be proud of
Name: Paul
masterwacker's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by benbacher View Post
Uhhhhhh. Pics of that all lit up?
Good point. Pictures added.
Old 11-25-2012, 07:58 PM   #4
2006KJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed2006KJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed2006KJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed2006KJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed2006KJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed2006KJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed2006KJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed2006KJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed2006KJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed2006KJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed2006KJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

2006KJ's Tacoma Gallery
wow! awesome. that looks like day time
Old 11-25-2012, 08:02 PM   #5
Superior Member
707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jake
707tothe907's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for showing us how you got it done!!

+1!
Old 11-25-2012, 10:42 PM   #6
Purveyor of Fun
benbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: ^
benbacher's Tacoma Gallery
Definitely cool. Hahahaha not a cheap project to be sure, but install looks clean. Hope nobody jacks those.
Old 11-26-2012, 02:15 PM   #7
60driver has a brilliant future60driver has a brilliant future60driver has a brilliant future60driver has a brilliant future60driver has a brilliant future60driver has a brilliant future60driver has a brilliant future60driver has a brilliant future60driver has a brilliant future60driver has a brilliant future60driver has a brilliant future

Army:
Name: Sean
60driver's Tacoma Gallery
Awesome, thanks for the write up. I was wondering how you wired all that stuff.
Old 11-26-2012, 02:19 PM   #8
uscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: AMT3 kodiak 60T jayhawks
Name: coby
uscg2008's Tacoma Gallery
do you have anymore close up pics of the final product?
Old 11-26-2012, 02:43 PM   #9
60driver has a brilliant future60driver has a brilliant future60driver has a brilliant future60driver has a brilliant future60driver has a brilliant future60driver has a brilliant future60driver has a brilliant future60driver has a brilliant future60driver has a brilliant future60driver has a brilliant future60driver has a brilliant future

Army:
Name: Sean
60driver's Tacoma Gallery
Did you use the included switches? How did you set up that many?
Old 11-26-2012, 05:48 PM   #11
Maynard is on a distinguished road
Marines: Reserves (out now)
Maynard's Tacoma Gallery
Great write up on your install..That is a clean install- I think it looks great.

Would you happen to have any close up photos or details of your hood-scoop setup? Did you have to fabricate something for the scoop light, or did you use a Rigid cradle, or what for mounting it? Thanks.
Old 11-26-2012, 05:53 PM   #12
Gelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
Doing a 40" roof mount with my 20" bumper mount some time .
Old 11-26-2012, 08:13 PM   #13
Is it June yet
jmast has a brilliant futurejmast has a brilliant futurejmast has a brilliant futurejmast has a brilliant futurejmast has a brilliant futurejmast has a brilliant futurejmast has a brilliant futurejmast has a brilliant futurejmast has a brilliant futurejmast has a brilliant futurejmast has a brilliant future

Name: O.I.C.
jmast's Tacoma Gallery
fuuuuuuuuck:dro ol:
Old 11-26-2012, 08:53 PM   #14
Instagram: stormtrooptaco
HighTQCummins has much to be proud ofHighTQCummins has much to be proud ofHighTQCummins has much to be proud ofHighTQCummins has much to be proud ofHighTQCummins has much to be proud ofHighTQCummins has much to be proud ofHighTQCummins has much to be proud ofHighTQCummins has much to be proud ofHighTQCummins has much to be proud ofHighTQCummins has much to be proud of

Name: Hank
HighTQCummins's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelo760 View Post
Doing a 40" roof mount with my 20" bumper mount some time .
do a build thread of that, i'd like to see another angle of how its done.

OP, thanks for posting, this is exactly what i've been waiting for since you first posted pictures of your truck
Old 11-26-2012, 09:45 PM   #15
iKill
mgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: SGT (ret.), 0311, 1st Battalion 6th Marines
mgrande's Tacoma Gallery
So nice....
Old 12-10-2012, 06:42 PM   #16
Jon850FL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJon850FL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJon850FL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJon850FL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJon850FL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJon850FL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJon850FL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJon850FL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJon850FL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJon850FL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJon850FL is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jon
Jon850FL's Tacoma Gallery
hood scoop & grill are overkill....but nonetheless nice. roof & bumper installs are clean as hell.
Old 01-31-2013, 11:13 PM   #17
Retired Senior NCO
sfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Retired U.S. Army Air Defender
Name: Dan
sfcadams's Tacoma Gallery
Subd
Old 02-01-2013, 09:32 AM   #18
Kick A$$ Member
LoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter
LoadedTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Subd
Old 02-03-2013, 05:00 PM   #19
Relentless
jjhitchen is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjhitchen is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjhitchen is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjhitchen is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjhitchen is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjhitchen is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjhitchen is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjhitchen is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjhitchen is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjhitchen is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjhitchen is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Joel
jjhitchen's Tacoma Gallery
What size tires are you running? Looks super good man you have the cleanest set up on here.
Old 02-03-2013, 05:10 PM   #20
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Wholly hell that's a lot of (expensive) lighting