Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

Light bar install in Lower Grill Opening

Old 04-09-2013, 08:37 AM   #61
GTABurnout is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTABurnout is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTABurnout is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTABurnout is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTABurnout is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTABurnout is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTABurnout is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTABurnout is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTABurnout is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTABurnout is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTABurnout is one of the sharper tools in the shed

GTABurnout's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bfoust22 View Post
@GTABurnout did the light bar come with all the wires and everything needed for hook up?
The 20" bar came with a wiring harness. I added a aux fuse block. And all the wiring worked well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krob32 View Post
OP, where did all your pics go?
Sorry, I self host and my site went down. they should all be back up now...
Old 04-29-2013, 11:15 PM   #62
Bfoust22 is on a distinguished road
Name: Bryon
Bfoust22's Tacoma Gallery
GTA have you had any problems with the 20" bar from okledlightbars? Did you buy the wiring harness from their site as well?
Old 04-30-2013, 07:27 AM   #63
Banned
Infra is one of the sharper tools in the shedInfra is one of the sharper tools in the shedInfra is one of the sharper tools in the shedInfra is one of the sharper tools in the shedInfra is one of the sharper tools in the shedInfra is one of the sharper tools in the shedInfra is one of the sharper tools in the shedInfra is one of the sharper tools in the shedInfra is one of the sharper tools in the shedInfra is one of the sharper tools in the shedInfra is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement:
Name: Jason
Infra's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
GTA have you had any problems with the 20" bar from okledlightbars? Did you buy the wiring harness from their site as well?

I have the same light and I have been very pleased with it, as well as the customer service from okledlightbars. I got it during a group buy and the wiring harness came with the light, which made it very simple to install. If I had to do it over again and purchase another light, I would definitely purchase it from okledlightbars again because of their outstanding customer service.
Old 04-30-2013, 08:20 AM   #64
GTABurnout is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTABurnout is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTABurnout is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTABurnout is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTABurnout is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTABurnout is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTABurnout is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTABurnout is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTABurnout is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTABurnout is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTABurnout is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Not a single problem with the light. I have submerged it in mud and bounced the crap out of it. Still works great. Wiring harness for the 20" bar came with the light. I also bought a seperate harness fro my 2 4" lights that are mounted in the grill. For $20 you wont find a better harness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infra View Post
I have the same light and I have been very pleased with it, as well as the customer service from okledlightbars. I got it during a group buy and the wiring harness came with the light, which made it very simple to install. If I had to do it over again and purchase another light, I would definitely purchase it from okledlightbars again because of their outstanding customer service.
I agree 100%. Great service. Great lights and a damn good price.
Old 05-19-2013, 01:49 PM   #65
Bfoust22 is on a distinguished road
Name: Bryon
Bfoust22's Tacoma Gallery
Is that the Cree led from okledlightbars or not? Do you know the difference by chance?
Old 05-23-2013, 10:33 PM   #66

Quote:
Is that the Cree led from okledlightbars or not? Do you know the difference by chance?
I think this was before the Cree was offered. I have been told the Cree is much brighter. Which I can not really believe because this one is damn bright.
Old 06-02-2013, 05:48 AM   #67
perchie15 is on a distinguished road
Name: Joey
perchie15's Tacoma Gallery
Anyone do this and had removed the grating in the lower part for light? I in the middle of doing mine just curious of anyone has cut the lower grating apart?
Old 06-02-2013, 05:48 AM   #68
perchie15 is on a distinguished road
Name: Joey
perchie15's Tacoma Gallery
I just think it might look cooler without it?
Old 06-02-2013, 10:12 AM   #69
Vivid Illumination
memario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colton
memario1214's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by perchie15 View Post
Anyone do this and had removed the grating in the lower part for light? I in the middle of doing mine just curious of anyone has cut the lower grating apart?
Yes I cut the lower stuff out to install mine
Old 08-06-2013, 05:40 AM   #70
00PowderSpecial is on a distinguished road
Name: Chad
00PowderSpecial's Tacoma Gallery
I'm in the process of mounting mine in the lower grill but I have the okled 30" combo light with flood pattern on the outside, so being so far in the grill didn't look too good for light output so I cut out the lower grill and fabbed up a couple small L shaped brackets to attach to the vertical bars inside the grill and brought the light out flush with the bumper. I'll take a few pictures of the brackets and the install. Also have the wiring harness from then and have to say it all seems light great quality. Excellent customer service too!
Old 08-06-2013, 03:10 PM   #71
00PowderSpecial is on a distinguished road
Name: Chad
00PowderSpecial's Tacoma Gallery
Here's a couple pics, I used some angle bar, 1.5" x 1/8" thick, 2.5 inches long. Placed on the inner vertical rain and marked out the 2 holes as drilled them out and bolted them on then took the bar and centered it and marked it, drilled a few more holes and box liner sprayed the brackets, and reassembled. I think it turned out pretty good!

Old 08-06-2013, 03:44 PM   #72
1911 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1911 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1911 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1911 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1911 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1911 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1911 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1911 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1911 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1911 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1911 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jerry
1911's Tacoma Gallery
Very nice install, looks great, enjoy your LEDs!

As for cooling, should have no trouble, have a set of 20" double row Rigid lights behind my upper grill and a single 30" in my lower.

I have had no problems even while towing a trailer this summer.

Old 08-06-2013, 03:55 PM   #73
Pretty good at drinkin beer!
TaKoToy is a splendid one to beholdTaKoToy is a splendid one to beholdTaKoToy is a splendid one to beholdTaKoToy is a splendid one to beholdTaKoToy is a splendid one to beholdTaKoToy is a splendid one to beholdTaKoToy is a splendid one to behold

Name: Rob
TaKoToy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTABurnout View Post
I think this was before the Cree was offered. I have been told the Cree is much brighter. Which I can not really believe because this one is damn bright.

Trust me the CREE could be much brighter. I worked in the R&D department for a few years. They have a team of mad scientist tinkering and toying with every LED imaginable. Pretty much every other LED is a reversed engineered CREE LED.
Old 08-06-2013, 04:37 PM   #74

Good to see people still using this. Mine is still going strong. I do plan to swap to a 30" bar in the future. I may do the L bracket up to push the light out like a few have done here.
Old 04-21-2014, 08:16 AM   #75
Natestheboss is one of the sharper tools in the shedNatestheboss is one of the sharper tools in the shedNatestheboss is one of the sharper tools in the shedNatestheboss is one of the sharper tools in the shedNatestheboss is one of the sharper tools in the shedNatestheboss is one of the sharper tools in the shedNatestheboss is one of the sharper tools in the shedNatestheboss is one of the sharper tools in the shedNatestheboss is one of the sharper tools in the shedNatestheboss is one of the sharper tools in the shedNatestheboss is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Nathan
Natestheboss's Tacoma Gallery
I've purchased a 30" bar to do this mod in a couple weekends from now. I have a quick noobie question. Is there an install guide for the electrical component of this? Is everyone doing aftermarket switches? I've looked through quite a bit of the forum and haven't found a tutorial adequate enough for my nubile self. Any pointers?
Old 04-21-2014, 08:22 AM   #76
Vivid Illumination
memario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colton
memario1214's Tacoma Gallery
^^^What do you need exactly? I can walk you through everything from the light to the relay to the switch. Hit me up with what parts you've got as well as some pictures and I'll tell you right where to put everything
Old 04-21-2014, 08:22 AM   #77
Ariyan is on a distinguished road

Name: Justin
Ariyan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natestheboss View Post
I've purchased a 30" bar to do this mod in a couple weekends from now. I have a quick noobie question. Is there an install guide for the electrical component of this? Is everyone doing aftermarket switches? I've looked through quite a bit of the forum and haven't found a tutorial adequate enough for my nubile self. Any pointers?
I got my switch from here http://www.otrattw.net

This link also may help http://www.otrattw.net/wiring-diagrams.html
Old 05-21-2014, 07:42 PM   #78
ripkinc is on a distinguished road
ripkinc's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by uscg2008 View Post
i have a 30in totron and it fits perfectly im using the low pre-existing holes to mount it. pretty easy job i didnt even have to remove the bumper.
Any pictures? What bar did you use?
Old 05-27-2014, 05:30 PM   #79
Whitelighting10 is on a distinguished road
Whitelighting10's Tacoma Gallery
I measured from the middle of crash can to crash can and its roughly 32 to 33 inches so in your opinion do you think it would work if I got a 32 inch light bar and bolt it right there? I'm worried about it being to tall but it should be same stance as your angle iron since its resting on the crash cans evenly
Old 05-28-2014, 05:36 AM   #80
beondwacko is a glorious beacon of lightbeondwacko is a glorious beacon of lightbeondwacko is a glorious beacon of lightbeondwacko is a glorious beacon of lightbeondwacko is a glorious beacon of light

beondwacko's Tacoma Gallery
I have been looking around for a narrow spot light bar (20' or less spot) and from what I've seen, most of the 24"-30" bars are combo units. The only bars that I see that offer that tighter patterns are the single row units with a 10 watt per emitter Cree chip bars. They aren't too expensive at least compared to a Rigid bar but I'm still on the fence. I want to use the bar for occasional on road lighting but since I've been playing with some smaller no name aux lights ( an 18 watt single row rated at 30* that I use as a add on reverse light and a round 27 watt light also rated as a "spot") and from my limited experience so far, the photo metrics listed aren't all that accurate. They flood out much more than I'd use for forward additional lighting and it would piss off oncoming drivers for sure. So, I'm waiting for someone to post up results of using one of those single row spot units before I bite the bullet.

BTW, I'm in the landscape lighting business, so I know a good amount about beam spread and light control.

It sure would be cool though if someone who makes those combo units to make them a dual circuit fixture. Separate wiring for spot or flood operation.