Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

converting KC back ups/floods to HID

Old 12-04-2012, 03:02 PM   #1
cr500taco will become famous soon enough

Name: D
cr500taco's Tacoma Gallery
converting KC back ups/floods to HID

I have a couple of halogen KC back up/floods under my rear bumper and I am going to move them to the rear of my cargo basket on the roof of the cab. I am thinking of converting them to HID. Do any of you know how far away the ballasts can be placed?
Old 12-05-2012, 02:20 PM   #2
cr500taco will become famous soon enough

Name: D
cr500taco's Tacoma Gallery
bump
Old 12-05-2012, 10:31 PM   #3
09DBLCAB09 is on a distinguished road
09DBLCAB09's Tacoma Gallery
As far as the wires are on whatever HID kit you decide to order
Old 12-05-2012, 10:32 PM   #4
09DBLCAB09 is on a distinguished road
09DBLCAB09's Tacoma Gallery
Typically right around 10" or so
Old 12-05-2012, 10:41 PM   #5
Banned
acdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
acdronin's Tacoma Gallery
HID's? Really, how much brighter do you need, I got 2X130 watts in my KC's and jesus, they are plenty bright. I can see clearly behind me even with the tinted windows rolled up. To each his own but it seems a little unnecessary to me

Mine are mounted at the top of my rack

This is from about 40-50 feet back, that's 260 watts

Old 12-05-2012, 10:52 PM   #6
t4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

t4daddy's Tacoma Gallery
Typical HIDs are only 35 watts each, so, your prolly brighter than he'd be.
Old 12-05-2012, 11:09 PM   #7
Banned
acdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by t4daddy View Post
Typical HIDs are only 35 watts each, so, your prolly brighter than he'd be.
Watts are power, lumens is light output, depending on which K bulbs he puts in there (6000K) is probably gonna be brighter than mine. My point is, why spend the extra cash, 35 bucks shipped for 2 KC 130 watt bulbs and I can blind people with a quickness.
Old 12-06-2012, 12:26 AM   #9
Banned
This might sound goofy but it's the best wire for this application~Low Voltage outdoor lighting wire, the voltages are the same-12 volts, it's designed to run a couple of hundred and more, it has very thick insulation against the elements as it designed to be run in landscapes, in the elements and wattage wise it will handle 300-400 watts on a single two strand wire run. Technically speaking, our lighting is exactly the same, low volt lighting and (in the case of my dclb), around 35 feet of run depending on how i run the wires.
In my case I ran the single two-strand from the engine bay, down along the frame rails, up between the cab and the bed, did my split there and ran each set tucked under the cap on top of the bed sides, to each of the lumber rack rear uprights and to each of the lights. The only trick was that that wiring didn't fit into the KC's grommets but i bought two rubber stoppers from the local hardware store, drilled them out just enough to stuff the wires through and then modded the stoppers till they fit snug into the KC housings. Mine are flipped upside down so the wires actually come out on the (now) top side of the lights, so far this winter they are totally watertight.