LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

Benefits to LED swap?

Old 12-05-2012, 07:44 AM   #1
Spruced UP is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpruced UP is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpruced UP is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpruced UP is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpruced UP is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpruced UP is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpruced UP is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpruced UP is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpruced UP is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpruced UP is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpruced UP is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: '90-96
Name: Eric
Spruced UP's Tacoma Gallery
Benefits to LED swap?

Hi folks!

Aside from the cosmetic appearance offered by a swap to LED bulbs, is there going to be any improvement to operating efficiency of the truck? I realize it's a small 12V system we all have, but with LED bulbs being a "green" thing, how much of a power savings are we going to experience.

Just thinking...
Old 12-05-2012, 09:02 AM   #2
CLynch is one of the sharper tools in the shedCLynch is one of the sharper tools in the shedCLynch is one of the sharper tools in the shedCLynch is one of the sharper tools in the shedCLynch is one of the sharper tools in the shedCLynch is one of the sharper tools in the shedCLynch is one of the sharper tools in the shedCLynch is one of the sharper tools in the shedCLynch is one of the sharper tools in the shedCLynch is one of the sharper tools in the shedCLynch is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Charlie
CLynch's Tacoma Gallery
It should not be any significance as far as mpg. None noticed by me. The lights are nice because it is brighter, throws light farther and if you have a moment and leave the lights on overnight your truck will start. At least mine did. One of the best improvements to date. I wonder why it's not factory. Cheaper and lasts longer. I would venture a guess that the lights will out lay the vehicle.

Charlie
Old 12-05-2012, 09:12 AM   #3
brianv3ntura is on a distinguished road
brianv3ntura's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLynch View Post
It should not be any significance as far as mpg. None noticed by me. The lights are nice because it is brighter, throws light farther and if you have a moment and leave the lights on overnight your truck will start. At least mine did. One of the best improvements to date. I wonder why it's not factory. Cheaper and lasts longer. I would venture a guess that the lights will out lay the vehicle.

Charlie
bold part is 100% wrong. LEDs tend to be brighter in terms of lumens per watt, but the light output distance is no where close to halogens.

LED's tend to use less power and run much much cooler.
Old 12-05-2012, 12:13 PM   #4
CLynch is one of the sharper tools in the shedCLynch is one of the sharper tools in the shedCLynch is one of the sharper tools in the shedCLynch is one of the sharper tools in the shedCLynch is one of the sharper tools in the shedCLynch is one of the sharper tools in the shedCLynch is one of the sharper tools in the shedCLynch is one of the sharper tools in the shedCLynch is one of the sharper tools in the shedCLynch is one of the sharper tools in the shedCLynch is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Charlie
CLynch's Tacoma Gallery
I can see my floor as I could not before. I may have used the wrong term but throw is what I would use to describe light projected farther than it was with halogen.
Old 12-05-2012, 12:16 PM   #5
DSully72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDSully72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDSully72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDSully72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDSully72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDSully72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDSully72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDSully72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDSully72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDSully72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDSully72 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Daniel
DSully72's Tacoma Gallery
interesting... I'm eventually going to change all my interior lights to LED's including behind the gauge clusters and temp controls. i already have the two outside bulbs of the gauge cluster burnt out, just too lazy to buy the LED's and take it all apart to get to them... Not sure about the turn signals and brake lights though... dont really want to mess with all that as far as installing resistors and what not.