Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

No high beam with h4 harness. Help!

Old 12-08-2012, 05:01 PM   #1
Burgess65 is on a distinguished road
Burgess65's Tacoma Gallery
No high beam with h4 harness. Help!

Hey guys, so i just purchased the mini ds2 with bixenon harness kit from trfs and have everything hooked up an ready roll. problem is that i have no high beam function. i tried swapping the blue and white wires but still no high beam. anyone have any idea how I should hook up the oem connector to my new harness? Or could it be something else? I would assume the solenoid wires are connected properly as I have matched red to red and black to black. Any suggestions would be great! Thanks!
Old 12-08-2012, 05:12 PM   #2
FORE!
parboy will become famous soon enoughparboy will become famous soon enough

Name: Brian
parboy's Tacoma Gallery
Double check your grounds on each side. Check your fuse for high beam. If none of that works, I would also unplug the connector for the high beams and hook them straight to battery and make sure the shield is lowering. If it lowers when you touch it straight to battery then you know they are at least functional and the problem is outside the projector. As far as I remember, there is only one way for the h4 to plug in.
Old 12-08-2012, 05:15 PM   #3
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgess65 View Post
Hey guys, so i just purchased the mini ds2 with bixenon harness kit from trfs and have everything hooked up an ready roll. problem is that i have no high beam function. i tried swapping the blue and white wires but still no high beam. anyone have any idea how I should hook up the oem connector to my new harness? Or could it be something else? I would assume the solenoid wires are connected properly as I have matched red to red and black to black. Any suggestions would be great! Thanks!
I'm having a similar issue, which wires did you swap?
Old 12-08-2012, 05:27 PM   #4
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
A year or more ago, there was an issue with the harnesses that were causing problems with some trucks blowing the HB fuse.
IIRC, the harness was wired specifically for a ground-switched vehicle (like the 1st Gen).
Reversing the blue and white wires was the solution.
Pugga, this is not your problem... the affected units would immediately blow the fuse. You ran fine for 2 weeks before the problem started.

It was posted that the relay module was redesigned so that it will operate properly with either a ground-switched or hot-switched vehicle.
When I got in on the group buy, I forwarded the thread to Andrew asking if the issue had indeed been resolved and he never responded.
Old 12-08-2012, 05:28 PM   #5
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich91710 View Post
A year or more ago, there was an issue with the harnesses that were causing problems with some trucks blowing the HB fuse.
IIRC, the harness was wired specifically for a ground-switched vehicle (like the 1st Gen).
Reversing the blue and white wires was the solution.
Pugga, this is not your problem... the affected units would immediately blow the fuse. You ran fine for 2 weeks before the problem started.

It was posted that the relay module was redesigned so that it will operate properly with either a ground-switched or hot-switched vehicle.
When I got in on the group buy, I forwarded the thread to Andrew asking if the issue had indeed been resolved and he never responded.
Ah, good to know. Wasn't even aware of that issue.
Old 12-08-2012, 05:37 PM   #6
By check your fuse for high beam, what do you mean? How would that be tested? About to go try the solenoid wires now...
Old 12-08-2012, 05:44 PM   #7
Ok so the shield does move when it is connected to the battery. So I'm good there..
Old 12-08-2012, 05:53 PM   #8

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgess65 View Post
By check your fuse for high beam, what do you mean? How would that be tested? About to go try the solenoid wires now...
Check the high beam fuse in the under hood fuse panel. There are 4 fuses for your headlights, LH high beam, LH low beam, RH high beam and RH low beam.