Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

Fog Lights On or Off?

View Poll Results: Fog lights on all the time, off, or depends when driving at night?
On 1,205 52.67%
Off 202 8.83%
Depends 881 38.51%
Voters: 2288. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-19-2013, 10:44 AM   #361
I'm your huckleberry
skidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: TJ
skidooman's Tacoma Gallery
Haha, it's funny the things ppl get but hurt about around here. During the day I only run them on 2 lane roads, along with my dtrls, so on coming traffic can see me for passing. At dusk or dawn I run fogs, dtrls, and running lights. If it's dark I run fogs all the time.
Old 05-31-2013, 02:50 PM   #362
TuffRuffDangerous is one of the sharper tools in the shedTuffRuffDangerous is one of the sharper tools in the shedTuffRuffDangerous is one of the sharper tools in the shedTuffRuffDangerous is one of the sharper tools in the shedTuffRuffDangerous is one of the sharper tools in the shedTuffRuffDangerous is one of the sharper tools in the shedTuffRuffDangerous is one of the sharper tools in the shedTuffRuffDangerous is one of the sharper tools in the shedTuffRuffDangerous is one of the sharper tools in the shedTuffRuffDangerous is one of the sharper tools in the shedTuffRuffDangerous is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TuffRuffDangerous's Tacoma Gallery
I drive with them on. It's all personal preference, I don't see any reason why anyone would get upset with foglights if they're aimed right, unless they were crap PnP HIDs blinding you. We get the occasional fog down here during winter and I've seen quite a few cars/trucks/SUVs with HIDs in their fog lights and you can see the actual beam aiming up at 45 degrees or more.
Old 08-18-2013, 07:32 PM   #363
BakerTaco will become famous soon enough

Name: Will
BakerTaco's Tacoma Gallery
I used to drive with them on all the time. Then I converted those suckers to HIDs so they're too dangerous on busy roads(also screaming for a ticket).. I now only use my fogs on the two lane scenic backroads without proper street lights when there is NO oncoming traffic.. When I see someone coming, I turn them off. Gotta be courteous of other drivers. But good God do 6000k fogs light up the road/ditch/woods
Old 10-22-2013, 08:49 PM   #366
tc98tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedtc98tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedtc98tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedtc98tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedtc98tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedtc98tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedtc98tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedtc98tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedtc98tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedtc98tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedtc98tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nik
tc98tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Fog Lights On or Off?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1382500057.860256.jpg
Mine are bright enough to where I don't even need my headlights on at night
Old 10-28-2013, 01:40 AM   #367
!@$%#
robssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rob
robssol's Tacoma Gallery
I run fogs and headlights in the country at night (since I live in the country, I have them on 99.9% of the time) I'll turn them off in town. In heavy fog I'll use driving lights and fogs only. Besides providing more light the fogs "show" animal eyes better than headlights. This is deer country and during rut they are really stupid!
Old 11-12-2013, 12:45 PM   #368
Master Baiter
jethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Geoff
jethro's Tacoma Gallery
I use 'em when I fell like using them. Don't know how else to put it...
Old 11-12-2013, 12:54 PM   #370
2006TRDSPORT
2006TRDSPORT has much to be proud of2006TRDSPORT has much to be proud of2006TRDSPORT has much to be proud of2006TRDSPORT has much to be proud of2006TRDSPORT has much to be proud of2006TRDSPORT has much to be proud of2006TRDSPORT has much to be proud of2006TRDSPORT has much to be proud of2006TRDSPORT has much to be proud of2006TRDSPORT has much to be proud of

Name: Jason
2006TRDSPORT's Tacoma Gallery
I have em all all the time, no sense in turning them on/off all the time so when my headlights are on, they are on.
Old 11-24-2013, 09:04 AM   #371
Slow as shit. Cute as Hell.
Steves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
Steves104x4's Tacoma Gallery
I thought it was illegal to have them on behind/oncoming traffic. So, I'd only use them when no one is around and as a courtesy to other users of the road.

I've found people who drive with them on also seem to tailgate alot. Blind, stupid or just can't drive. Stay the fuck back, please.
Old 11-24-2013, 09:55 AM   #372
The Safety Guy
BDBSoCal is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDBSoCal is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDBSoCal is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDBSoCal is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDBSoCal is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDBSoCal is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDBSoCal is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDBSoCal is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDBSoCal is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDBSoCal is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDBSoCal is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Brad
BDBSoCal's Tacoma Gallery
Before DTRL

Several years ago I had a little Saturn Coupe. It was before day time running lights were required, so it didn't have them. On a previous Saturn Sedan I had DTRL. And I remembered a movie from Driver's Ed that showed how much more visible a vehicle was with their headlights on. Since the vehicle was not equipped with DTRL, I decided to use the fog lights for that purpose. I left them on all the time.

One night, it seemed a bit extra dark on my 38-mile drive home. I couldn't figure it out. It wasn't until I got back home that I realized I had driven without headlights on all the way.

At the same time, Saturn got lots of complains because they used the high beams at 50% for their DTRL in the sedans. It was a short little car, but still people complained of being blinded.

So for the 2004, I did drive with headlights on just for visibility. On the 2008, the ambers make adequate DTRL, so I usually remember to shut the headlights off.

If I remember the California law correctly, at this time if fog lights are on, headlights MUST be on. If windshield wipers are on, the headlights MUST be on. As these rules proliferate, and headlights become automatic, I see a large proportion of trucks and cars driving with both headlights and fog lights.

With the low wide beam pattern, it does help to see all the crazy people out jogging in the dark IN THE ROAD as they do their CrossFit stuff after dark. I wish I could put more lights off the corners to better illuminate hazards.

Of course, I'm not running any HID or Xenon or anything in those lights at night. Eventually I will save up enough to add an LED light bar for those dark roads away from pavement.
Old 11-26-2013, 10:30 PM   #374
WTF! I told your mom to use chunky NOT creamy!
Sold My Subaru is one of the sharper tools in the shedSold My Subaru is one of the sharper tools in the shedSold My Subaru is one of the sharper tools in the shedSold My Subaru is one of the sharper tools in the shedSold My Subaru is one of the sharper tools in the shedSold My Subaru is one of the sharper tools in the shedSold My Subaru is one of the sharper tools in the shedSold My Subaru is one of the sharper tools in the shedSold My Subaru is one of the sharper tools in the shedSold My Subaru is one of the sharper tools in the shedSold My Subaru is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Wildland
Sold My Subaru's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OffroadToy View Post
i use them when it's foggy
I spent a while reading though this.....wow....

The off road lights on my suby are some piaa 2100 which I wired up to the hi/low switch. When the hi beams are on the piaa switch goes hot. No sense in using them when the hi beams aren't necessary - ie snow storms, traffic, rush hour, interstate, etc..... They're extremely good at what they do: illuminate the world in front of you when it's needed (insert good reason here)

I feel the same way about the fogs on my 2013. I seldom use them unless it's practical I mean come on the low beams on these trucks are unbelievably bright.

I'm sure the cops feel the same way.

The fogs are great at what they do which is burn bright light through fog and really impractical to use otherwise. +1 style points to you all that think you look cool with them on all the time. +1 style points to everyone who doesn't.
Old 12-13-2013, 09:57 AM   #375
cabo wabo has much to be proud ofcabo wabo has much to be proud ofcabo wabo has much to be proud ofcabo wabo has much to be proud ofcabo wabo has much to be proud ofcabo wabo has much to be proud ofcabo wabo has much to be proud ofcabo wabo has much to be proud ofcabo wabo has much to be proud ofcabo wabo has much to be proud of

Name: billy
cabo wabo's Tacoma Gallery
When my headlights are on so are my foglights
Old 12-14-2013, 07:06 AM   #376
oldracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldracer is one of the sharper tools in the shed
EMS:
oldracer's Tacoma Gallery
On/Off ?

If I have to have the headlights on for "any" reason; the fog/running lights are on too. Why not!

The more visibility the better.

oldracer
Old 12-14-2013, 07:21 AM   #377
Just a guy.
hitmans.army is one of the sharper tools in the shedhitmans.army is one of the sharper tools in the shedhitmans.army is one of the sharper tools in the shedhitmans.army is one of the sharper tools in the shedhitmans.army is one of the sharper tools in the shedhitmans.army is one of the sharper tools in the shedhitmans.army is one of the sharper tools in the shedhitmans.army is one of the sharper tools in the shedhitmans.army is one of the sharper tools in the shedhitmans.army is one of the sharper tools in the shedhitmans.army is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: Veteran
Name: Chris
hitmans.army's Tacoma Gallery
Fogs are now my turn signals. Got tired of people not seeing my bright red truck.
Old 12-30-2013, 11:57 AM   #378
TacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TacoDaTugBoat's Tacoma Gallery
I like having them on to light up the shoulder.
I didn't have them on my last truck so I'm still playing with them some. I have been finding that with my new truck and my fogs on, I get flashed ALOT! So I have them off for a while to see if that reduces the flashing.