1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Fog Lights On or Off?

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Snyperx, Jan 29, 2009.

?

Fog lights on all the time, off, or depends when driving at night?

1. On

52.8%
  2. Off

8.8%
  3. Depends

38.4%
  1. Oct 22, 2013 at 8:49 PM
    tc98tacoma

tc98tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nik
    San Antonio, Texas
    Vehicle:
    98tacoma4x4
    3inch toytec coils 5100's, aal(soon to be replaced), 33/12.5 km2s, + a money hole...
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1382500057.860256.jpg
    Mine are bright enough to where I don't even need my headlights on at night

2. Oct 28, 2013 at 1:40 AM
    robssol

robssol If it ain't broke, leave it the eff alone!

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    S. Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma, TRD Sport, SR5, 4X4, AC
    Frame 2.0, Fog lights anytime, Seatbelt reminder delete, Secondary air filter delete, LED bed lights, Running boards, 2017 Rims, Devil Horns by Andres, Ultra gauge, Cup holder/consol/glove compartment lights, Interior LED conversion, Blue Sea aux. fuse panel, fuse panel mounting plate by Yotamac, ProEFX heated towing mirrors, LED engine bay lights, Redline Quicklift Elite hood struts, Wet Okole Heated Seat Covers, Pop and Lock tailgate theft deterrent mod 2.0, Plasti-dip rear bumper. Decal free visors, Washable cabin air filter, Overhead consol auto dimming override switch, BulletProof Fabricating Skid plate, 2lo module.
    I run fogs and headlights in the country at night (since I live in the country, I have them on 99.9% of the time) I'll turn them off in town. In heavy fog I'll use driving lights and fogs only. Besides providing more light the fogs "show" animal eyes better than headlights. This is deer country and during rut they are really stupid! :goingcrazy:

3. Nov 12, 2013 at 12:45 PM
    jethro

jethro Master Baiter

Member:
    First Name:
    Geoff
    Southern NH
    Vehicle:
    2020 Ford F-150 Lariat 5.0L V8
    I use 'em when I fell like using them. Don't know how else to put it...

4. Nov 12, 2013 at 12:50 PM
    OffroadToy

OffroadToy old, forgetful, and decomposing

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Offroad DCSB AT- VSC,TRAC,HAC, & DAC
    Icon Stage 8, ECGS Bushing, Timbren bump stops, Crown braided/extended brake lines, Overland Custom Design sway bar links, rear differential breather extension, oil filter drain hose, a/c drain hose extension & reroute, front windows tint, Cat Security, XPEL headlight/fog & grill protection, OEM block heater, RCBS illuminated 4X4 switch,
    i use them when it's foggy :eek:

5. Nov 12, 2013 at 12:54 PM
    2006TRDSPORT

2006TRDSPORT 2006TRDSPORT

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Felton, Delaware
    Vehicle:
    2004 4Runner SR5 4WD
    I have em all all the time, no sense in turning them on/off all the time so when my headlights are on, they are on.

6. Nov 24, 2013 at 9:04 AM
    Steves104x4

Steves104x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Buffalo NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 RC 2.7 4x4
    BUCKLE UP! It makes it harder for Aliens to pull you out of your Truck.
    I thought it was illegal to have them on behind/oncoming traffic. So, I'd only use them when no one is around and as a courtesy to other users of the road.

I've found people who drive with them on also seem to tailgate alot. Blind, stupid or just can't drive. Stay the fuck back, please.

7. Nov 24, 2013 at 9:55 AM
    BDBSoCal

BDBSoCal The Safety Guy

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    Silver 2008 SR5 V6 4x4 TRD Sport
    Just starting...
    Several years ago I had a little Saturn Coupe. It was before day time running lights were required, so it didn't have them. On a previous Saturn Sedan I had DTRL. And I remembered a movie from Driver's Ed that showed how much more visible a vehicle was with their headlights on. Since the vehicle was not equipped with DTRL, I decided to use the fog lights for that purpose. I left them on all the time.

One night, it seemed a bit extra dark on my 38-mile drive home. I couldn't figure it out. It wasn't until I got back home that I realized I had driven without headlights on all the way.

At the same time, Saturn got lots of complains because they used the high beams at 50% for their DTRL in the sedans. It was a short little car, but still people complained of being blinded.

So for the 2004, I did drive with headlights on just for visibility. On the 2008, the ambers make adequate DTRL, so I usually remember to shut the headlights off.

If I remember the California law correctly, at this time if fog lights are on, headlights MUST be on. If windshield wipers are on, the headlights MUST be on. As these rules proliferate, and headlights become automatic, I see a large proportion of trucks and cars driving with both headlights and fog lights.

With the low wide beam pattern, it does help to see all the crazy people out jogging in the dark IN THE ROAD as they do their CrossFit stuff after dark. I wish I could put more lights off the corners to better illuminate hazards.

Of course, I'm not running any HID or Xenon or anything in those lights at night. Eventually I will save up enough to add an LED light bar for those dark roads away from pavement.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2013
  8. Nov 24, 2013 at 10:20 AM
    tacomataco2

tacomataco2 A dude

Member:
    Mass
    Vehicle:
    15’ ACLB
    Some of this Some of that
    Depends on what I'm feel in'.. I know mine are bright as shit so i try not to use them when people are around

9. Nov 26, 2013 at 10:30 PM
    Green Jeans

Green Jeans 6MT AC TRD OR 1GR-FE FTMFW

Member:
    Oregone
    Vehicle:
    '13 TRD Off-Road
    I spent a while reading though this.....wow.... :tumbleweed:

The off road lights on my suby are some piaa 2100 which I wired up to the hi/low switch. When the hi beams are on the piaa switch goes hot. No sense in using them when the hi beams aren't necessary - ie snow storms, traffic, rush hour, interstate, etc..... They're extremely good at what they do: illuminate the world in front of you when it's needed (insert good reason here)

I feel the same way about the fogs on my 2013. I seldom use them unless it's practical I mean come on the low beams on these trucks are unbelievably bright.

I'm sure the cops feel the same way.

The fogs are great at what they do which is burn bright light through fog and really impractical to use otherwise. +1 style points to you all that think you look cool with them on all the time. +1 style points to everyone who doesn't.

10. Dec 13, 2013 at 9:57 AM
    cabo wabo

cabo wabo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    billy
    virginia
    Vehicle:
    2019 dbc short bed trd sport
    When my headlights are on so are my foglights

11. Dec 14, 2013 at 7:06 AM
    oldracer

oldracer Well-Known Member

Member:
    If I have to have the headlights on for "any" reason; the fog/running lights are on too. Why not!

The more visibility the better.

oldracer

12. Dec 14, 2013 at 7:21 AM
    hitmans.army

hitmans.army Just a guy.

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Myrtle Creek, OR
    Vehicle:
    '07 PreRunner & '40 Chrysler Coupe
    Bilstein 5100s up front with OME 885s, rear Add-A-Leaf, LED lights (tails, dome, map, plate lights), Kicker 8" in custom fiberglass enclosure under back seat, Kicker speakers throughout and Kicker amp for sub, Pioneer DVD Player, Satoshi Grille with Devil Horns, Leer 100XQ.
    Fogs are now my turn signals. Got tired of people not seeing my bright red truck.

13. Dec 30, 2013 at 11:57 AM
    TacoDaTugBoat

TacoDaTugBoat Well-Known Member

Member:
    Goshen, Ct
    Vehicle:
    13 DCLB TRD Sport
    I like having them on to light up the shoulder.
    I didn't have them on my last truck so I'm still playing with them some. I have been finding that with my new truck and my fogs on, I get flashed ALOT! So I have them off for a while to see if that reduces the flashing.

Products Discussed in

To Top