1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Hella Rallye 1000 Black Magic or LED Bar?

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Desert Drifter, Dec 17, 2012.

1. Dec 17, 2012 at 10:35 AM
    Desert Drifter

Desert Drifter [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Central Arizona
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma 4x4, SR5
    Icon MT suspension, Pelfreybuilt front bumper, Relentless skids, Avid sliders, Avid custom rack. Pelfreybilt HC Rear bumper.
    I recently installed a plate bumper on the front of my Tascoma and had to give up the factory fog lights. So I want to add some light and for the most part prefer the traditional round pair of driving lights. Because of limited depth I will need to stay 3.5" deep maximum and since I like the look of the larger diameter lights the Hella Ralley 1000 Black magic seem to be an obvious choice for aroung $200 the pair including wiring kit.

I really wanted the veratility of Lightforce 170 halogens as they have more powerful bulbs, better reflectors, and the big plus for me they have various snap on lenses to allow the same light to be spot or flood as the need demands. But these are about 6" deep so I cannot put them in front of the grill without them sticking 3" in front of the bumper. Not into buying a bed mounted light bar at this time, so the Hella Ralley 1000 came up as a choice. But I suppose I could fit a 20" or shorter LED light bar in front of the grille.

Please let me know what YOU might do in this situation. I will be driving desert trails most of the time, not particularly fast, but sometimes we do feel the need for speed......

2. Dec 17, 2012 at 9:07 PM
    gutt_72

gutt_72 Well-Known Member

Member:
  3. Dec 17, 2012 at 9:45 PM
    GTABurnout

GTABurnout Well-Known Member

Member:
    Tucson AZ
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tundra Crewmax Rock Warrior TRD SC
    Icons, TRD Supercharger, TRD Exhaust, TRD Intake
    I was going to do a Light bar with 3 hella 4000 on it but since I want a bumper soon I decided to just do a 20" bar in the lower grill...

4. Dec 17, 2012 at 9:47 PM
    Desert Drifter

Desert Drifter [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Central Arizona
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma 4x4, SR5
    Icon MT suspension, Pelfreybuilt front bumper, Relentless skids, Avid sliders, Avid custom rack. Pelfreybilt HC Rear bumper.
    well I just ordered a pair of PIAA 580 lights. They are the szie I want at 6.7" diameter, good brightness with 85 watt H3 (halogen) bulbs and I ilke the looks.

Some might say "old school" compared to a LED bar assy, but on my bumper a LED bar migh be kinda odd looking unless Iwent with a mesh grille and put it behind the grille. A decent mesh grille is another $200, not something I want to go to right now. Got the "driving light" pattern and could down the road add a short throwthird light in the center for fill and when winching, crawling.

5. Dec 17, 2012 at 9:48 PM
    GTABurnout

GTABurnout Well-Known Member

Member:
    Tucson AZ
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tundra Crewmax Rock Warrior TRD SC
    Icons, TRD Supercharger, TRD Exhaust, TRD Intake
    Lower grill is stealth and no need to do a mess grill...

Products Discussed in

To Top