Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Lighting

Notices

Hella Rallye 1000 Black Magic or LED Bar?

Old 12-17-2012, 10:35 AM   #1
Desert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Bill
Desert Drifter's Tacoma Gallery
Hella Rallye 1000 Black Magic or LED Bar?

I recently installed a plate bumper on the front of my Tascoma and had to give up the factory fog lights. So I want to add some light and for the most part prefer the traditional round pair of driving lights. Because of limited depth I will need to stay 3.5" deep maximum and since I like the look of the larger diameter lights the Hella Ralley 1000 Black magic seem to be an obvious choice for aroung $200 the pair including wiring kit.

I really wanted the veratility of Lightforce 170 halogens as they have more powerful bulbs, better reflectors, and the big plus for me they have various snap on lenses to allow the same light to be spot or flood as the need demands. But these are about 6" deep so I cannot put them in front of the grill without them sticking 3" in front of the bumper. Not into buying a bed mounted light bar at this time, so the Hella Ralley 1000 came up as a choice. But I suppose I could fit a 20" or shorter LED light bar in front of the grille.

Please let me know what YOU might do in this situation. I will be driving desert trails most of the time, not particularly fast, but sometimes we do feel the need for speed......
Old 12-17-2012, 09:07 PM   #2
gutt_72 is on a distinguished road
gutt_72's Tacoma Gallery
Led.
Old 12-17-2012, 09:45 PM   #3
GTABurnout is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTABurnout is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTABurnout is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTABurnout is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTABurnout is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTABurnout is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTABurnout is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTABurnout is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTABurnout is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTABurnout is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTABurnout is one of the sharper tools in the shed

GTABurnout's Tacoma Gallery
I was going to do a Light bar with 3 hella 4000 on it but since I want a bumper soon I decided to just do a 20" bar in the lower grill...
Old 12-17-2012, 09:47 PM   #4
Desert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Bill
Desert Drifter's Tacoma Gallery
well I just ordered a pair of PIAA 580 lights. They are the szie I want at 6.7" diameter, good brightness with 85 watt H3 (halogen) bulbs and I ilke the looks.

Some might say "old school" compared to a LED bar assy, but on my bumper a LED bar migh be kinda odd looking unless Iwent with a mesh grille and put it behind the grille. A decent mesh grille is another $200, not something I want to go to right now. Got the "driving light" pattern and could down the road add a short throwthird light in the center for fill and when winching, crawling.
Old 12-17-2012, 09:48 PM   #5
GTABurnout is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTABurnout is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTABurnout is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTABurnout is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTABurnout is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTABurnout is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTABurnout is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTABurnout is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTABurnout is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTABurnout is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTABurnout is one of the sharper tools in the shed

GTABurnout's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Drifter View Post
well I just ordered a pair of PIAA 580 lights. They are the szie I want at 6.7" diameter, good brightness with 85 watt H3 (halogen) bulbs and I ilke the looks.

Some might say "old school" compared to a LED bar assy, but on my bumper a LED bar migh be kinda odd looking unless Iwent with a mesh grille and put it behind the grille. A decent mesh grille is another $200, not something I want to go to right now. Got the "driving light" pattern and could down the road add a short throwthird light in the center for fill and when winching, crawling.
Lower grill is stealth and no need to do a mess grill...